If you did AAT, do you wish you’d done a degree instead?

Options
Hi everyone!

I hope it is ok to post this question in here, as I’d like to hear from qualified accountants, please.

I’m trying to decide if I should go the degree or AAT route, and would like to know if you wish you’d done things differently.

A bit of my background - I’m 33 and have been ill since I was 6, so have never managed to work and get any experience. If you were in my shoes, which route would you suggest?

Thank you for any advice ?

Comments

• Nina
    Nina Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I did AAT and finished after 4 years because I split the third year in two. That was an option 10 years ago, I don’t know now. I enjoy and liked it because I worked during the day and went to college in the evening. It was hard, specially the last two years, but I did it and passed all exams first time. After 4 years I had the certificate and 4 years experience.
    I would suggest AAT.
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Eliza,

I studed AAT Levels 2, 3 & 4 over a 5/6 year period (took 1 year - 18 months off due to personal circumstances).

I never wanted to go away to Uni, also I didn't want the massive debt that it brings!

When AAT was recommended to me, it really was a win win siutation. I thought the cost was quite reasonable (Wasn't setting me back £9k a year in Unit fees!) and it offered great flexibility which is what I really wanted. To be able to work full-time and studying part-time evenings & weekends.

Would you be considering self-studying or via a training provider?
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    It was the other way round for me.

I did a degree (Business and Accounting) but wished I obtained a professional qualification in accounting, as I don't become a qualified accountant with a degree, so I started AAT.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sorry this is a little late.

Never wanted to go to Uni but was offered a job in accounts.
    If I had gone to Uni I would have studied Criminology which is different to accounts.

Taking some of the clients out there at the moment not really much difference.
Privacy Policy