Start Up Advice Needed

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I've been doing my AAT since 2017, and finally became qualified last year. Since 2018, I've worked in Accounts Receivable, and this has been my only Finance experience. However, since becoming a qualified bookkeeper since 2019 through my AAT, I've wanted to start my own practise in bookkeeping, but I would prefer to get more experience in the payable side of things, and on accounts as a whole in general.

Unfortunately, despite applying for tons of jobs, I rarely get an interview, and that includes going for positions in my own work place. When I do get an interview...it's always the same excuse 'lack of experience'.

It's got to the point now where I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and seeing what happens. I want to join AAT as a Licenced bookkeeper, as I would appear in there directory when people are looking for one, which would help attract clients.

My question is, before going through this whole application process, I've noticed when applying to become an AAT Licenced bookkeeper, you need to give experience you have of doing the work (Which I only really have one side of, if that) and then you need to provide a reference who can confirm it.

I'm not sure I'm going to get through this part of the applications for a Licence, despite passing all the exams.

I know this is one of them, you don't know until you try situations, but is it likely my application will get rejected even though I've passed all of there exams? (Would love to hear from someone in a similar situation)

I know I don't have to do this through AAT, but the directory they have on there is really helpful to get clients in which is attracting me to signing up.

Comments

• JJG123
    JJG123 Registered Posts: 6
    I personally wouldn't want to do bookkeeping for people on a self-employed basis if I felt like I didn't have most of the answers to hand. The only way I would do that is if I had someone I knew to fall back on and ask questions. You have to remember that clients will be asking you questions and expecting you to be able to come up with answers if you advertise that you are able to perform certain functions within bookkeeping, as well as producing accurate work that meets accountancy standards. If I was you I'll keep trying to get a job that will provide the experience just for the benefit of being confident with what you are doing.

When going for interviews, refer specifically to the skills you have gained from your AAT education and say that you are looking to develop and practice these fundamentals within the workplace that enables you to practice them. At the end of the day, I cannot say you will always be successful in interviews, but you have to put your best foot forward and hope the competition for the role aren't more impressive than you.
Privacy Policy