Self employed Bookkeeper- how to start?

Options
Sardani
Sardani Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi All,
I am about to gain my full AAT qualification (just waiting for synoptic results). I work as an finance administrator for more then a year so I have some experience as a bookkeeper. I am thinking to start doing some bookkeeping in my spare time but I have no idea where to start from. My biggest concern is clients, where and how to get them? Any ideas how can I start something on my own to get bit more experience and earn some money of course.
I would be grateful for any ideas and suggestions, thanks.

Comments

• davealucas
    davealucas Registered Posts: 140 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    First things first, you need to consider applying for a licence to trade as a self-employed bookkeeper and arrange professional liability insurance.
  • Sardani
    Options
    Thank you Dave, if I completed AAT level 3 and got AATQB title is that make me eligible to run my own bookkeeping business? If not then How to apply for that licence ?
  • davealucas
    davealucas Registered Posts: 140 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Having the AATQB title helps I believe. The AAT website will tell you how to apply for a licence.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi - it may be worth attending one of the be your own boss gatherings that AAT organise
  • Sardani
    Options
    Thanks for all replies. What about customers , how to gain them if I am completely new in that field and have no connections at all? Is there any chance to send my offer to professional accounting firm and do bookkeeping for them as self employed? The thing is register as a self employed, get license and all necessary paperwork is pointless if I do not have customers. I hope you understand my point and will appreciate any response in that matter.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Customers are a tricky one especially when your new to the field, I would take a look at the AAT directory and call someone in your area for :
    1. Possible chat on how they got started.
    2. Any work being available

It would be good to know where you are based.
  • Sardani
    Options
    I am based in Leicester. It’s always worth to try ask AAT for advice, thanks. Now, I am looking forward for my exam results which will be released next Thursday ??
Privacy Policy