How hard is it to self study AAT Level 3

Options
Crystal_Krystal
Crystal_Krystal Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
I've finished Level 2 which was done 2 days a week at college on a fast-track course (6 months). My next step is Level 3, which has two study options via college:

1) 1 year course starting in Sept

OR

2) Another fast track course starting in January

I'm considering self studying Level 3 from next month, hoping to complete it within 6 months & go onto Level 4. Is this possible? Would more time be needed? I've done extremely well with Level 2 (finished top of the class). I'm 44 so don't really have time to do a year for each course via college or 18 month each for apprenticeships as I plan to onto CIMA.

Comments

• TRMorecroft
    TRMorecroft Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Krystal, I work as an AAT Trainer and the best summary I've concluded is this:
    Level 2 is where you learn how to make the bricks.
    Level 3 is where you learn how to use them to build the wall.

There is no easy answer to your question as it depends entirely on your free time and aptitude. But considering the most common timeframe people do is a year's course with 1 day a week, if you have the commitment to do, say 12 hours a week, it is absolutely possible.

I would recommend you look at some of the concepts level 3 explores. Have a google and lookup of PESTLE and TARA, which is Business Awareness.
    After that, have a look at Accruals and Prepayments, which is one of the more difficult parts of another module.

See how you get on self-studying and learning these concepts, then see how well you might be able to answer questions such as the ones in this link after having lunch for an hour and coming straight back to it, as level 3 has a fair amount of retention needed for formulae and remembering processes:
    https://www.aatcomment.org.uk/audience/students/accruals-and-prepayments-level-3-study-tips/

Hope this gives you some insight into your abilities! And let us know how you get on :)
  • Crystal_Krystal
    Options
    Hi TRMorecroft. You're right, I'll take a look at Level 3 module units. Thanks
  • anony123
    anony123 Registered Posts: 434 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    @Crystal_Krystal
    There are 4 exams in total
    Tax processes: tax points
    Preparing fininabcisl statements: defo accruals and prepayments, suspense accounts and partnerships
    Management techibques: aplyrtionment and reapportionment, breakeven point and EXCEL IS important
    Business awareness: like above PESTLE, TARA, MONEY laundering

Excuse the spelling errors done quickly:)
  • Crystal_Krystal
    Options
    @anony123 thank you and I'm going to order the Level 3 study books
Privacy Policy