Question about expense invoice received that relates to a previous period

Rae_Rae
Rae_Rae Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I passed my AAT level 4 in January 2023 but have not had change to put anything into practice until recently and I feel quite rusty in some areas so please forgive me if this seems a stupid question.

My company has recently received an invoice for electricity that covers the period 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2024.

This was unexpected as we have been paying electricity bills based on a meter each month and thought everything was in order. However, the building we are in also has three sub meters for three offices we rent which we were not informed of until a few months ago. It turn out the meter we were paying only covers the AC units.

We have since received an invoice for the two year period above dated 1 September 2024. We have negotiated a 50% discount since we were not informed until 2 years later of these charges and no payment was requested by the building until last month. There is now a payment plan in place to pay this over the next 9 months which is outlined on the invoice.

My question is, should these charges be recorded in the years the the electricity was used, and if so, how?

OR

As the invoice is dated 1 September and has a payment plan in place should it be recorded in this year and if so how?
Privacy Policy