treasurer for scout group

taskey
taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
evening all

i have recently become the treasurer for our local scout group. just wondering if anyone else does this and where to start on the accounts. basically it has never had anyone in this position before so the scout leader has the bank card in his wallet - eeek!!! and that is how it run. could anyone email me some basic excel templates i could use for bank rec's, payments and receipts. it only needs to be basic as it is not a busy group.

all help would be greatl appreciated.

many thanks in advance

tracy

tracy.askey@yahoo.co.uk

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've emailed the spreadsheet I use for our motor club, basic but does the job adequately.

Well done for volunteering for the "job" !!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    thanks jan, i have not received the email, could you possibly try agan.

many thanks

tracy

tracy.askey@yahoo.co.uk

or

tracy.askey@mac.com
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sorry Tracy, just checked my emails tonight & yours was still sat in the out box, DOH! Think it was maybe a bit late :laugh:
  • stu441982
    stu441982 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Tracy.. I'm thinking about doing the same thing.. How did you get on and could one of you please send me the spreadsheets too?
  • Christina
    Christina Registered Posts: 33 New contributor 🐸
    I've tried several of the free software offerings and the only one that came close to useful for our Group was Quickfile - which is now not free :/ but not hugely expensive the last time I looked. And it may be possible to get it half-price if you are able to use/Quickfile will accept your District's charity number.

Although VT Cashbook is simple you'd still need spreadsheets to keep track of subs and payments for camps, etc, and also keeping track of restricted funds. This is where Quickfile's project tagging really comes in handy.

Stu, does your group use Online Scout Manager? Apparently they do 'financial accounts' with Gold or Gold+ membership. Though we have the Gold subscription and I can't find how to access the financial accounts part so can't tell you anything about it I'm afraid. But it may be worth looking into.
  • Leighs5
    Leighs5 Registered Posts: 4
    Hi, I too have just started as the treasurer of out local scout group, and would appreciate a spreadsheet for the accounting side please.
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I was asked if I'd be interested in being the Treasurer for my Scout Group too, as the other Leaders know that I'm now a junior accountant...but then it turned out that because I'm a Leader, I'm automatically disqualified from any positions on the Group Exec committee (Treasurer included). Oops! xD

So, @taskey ...

"basically it has never had anyone in this position before"

You mean you're the Group's first Treasurer, then? Or just that nobody before you had any solid accounts/books knowledge to go on, and just kinda winged it? xD
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • Leighs5
    I took over in December, the past treasurer, retired due to ill health. The accounts were paper based, I have been tasked (and would prefer) spreadsheets and online banking with dual authorisation. I have experience of Sage line 50, Sage 200 (CRM) ITrent, Oracle, NSPIS and Origin. I am an intermediate user of Excel, and would prefer to not have to create the spreadsheet from scratch. I hope the above has clarified my position, also I am retired. Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.
  • Christina
    Christina Registered Posts: 33 New contributor 🐸
    @Leighs5 have you been in touch with your District Treasurer? They might have something, or know someone who does. They should be supporting you anyway.
  • KoopaCooper
    @Christina makes an excellent point - the District Treasurer, maybe even the County Treasurer, should have some ability to be able to help you out (if they aren't too busy, that is). You could also try contacting the Treasurers of other Groups in your District. Any one of them may be able to help also.

Best of luck!

AAT
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
  • Leighs5
    Many thanks, I have been InTouch with the District treasurer, who has kindly provided an excellent cash book with reconciliation and year end accounts.
  • KoopaCooper
    Leighs5 said:

Many thanks, I have been InTouch with the District treasurer, who has kindly provided an excellent cash book with reconciliation and year end accounts.

Good to know there are reliable, helpful District Execs out there. Ours is...eh. :P (Par for the course with Lambeth, sadly...! lol)

AAT
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
  • Leighs5
    Anyone use Access for invoicing?
  • David Ballantyne
    David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
    Just for info, you could use either one of the following free open software finance packages. They would both be perfectly suitable for small scout group accounts.

Gnucash
    KMyMoney
    David Ballantyne
    Connect with me on LinkedIn!
    Ballantyne Accountants
Privacy Policy