jobs ?

mark130273
mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
can anyone give a little advice on the best way to get a job,

my situation is I am the best in my case(not blowing my own trumpet)

I am most probibly going to pass this second level,

but the MAIN thing is I have not got really any experiance ?

Is there any employer going to take someone on who hasnt got the experiance of working in an accounting enviroment ???

p.s. can take a drop in wages............anything less than 15 k !!!

:thumbup:

Comments

• numberjunky
    numberjunky Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    All I can say is good luck!

I have just finished level 3 as part of a career change and have now decided to change careers again.

I am so sick of the same vicious circle - You can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job. At 44 I certainly dont fit into the average 'junior' position and am no use to any accounts role in any other guise.

I recently applied for a job as a 'junior' and did not get an interview, but the job was given to a guy in my class who was less qualified then me, no life experiences and half my age.

With that in mind, it is not so much about qualifications but a number of other factors so do your research on interview techniques and be prepared for some ludicrous questions!

I recently looked at the Hays Guide for salaries and decided that the stress and crap you have to go through is not worth swapping my current wage for AND I do a quarter of the hours (self employed). I even earn more than the average Level 4 so I'm leaving accountancy far behind. I'm guessing from your login name that you are 35 so you're in the same boat as me so once again, good luck.
  • Monika01
    Monika01 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    I was lucky

Hiya,

I just want to say that I did not have any accountancy experience and I got a job because my current employer gave me the oportunity and I grabed it. They were not looking for someone with experience but they wanted a person with a little bit of knowledge. The money offered was not that good but I worked hard and I live with this money. I can only thank my boss that she gave me the oportunity.

So keep looking and be possitive it will happen. Keep replying the jobs and sigh in with the agencies. You may have to go under the price but you can get an experience and leave the job if you do not get the salary you think you deserve. Also a good CV and a covering letter will help.

Good luck and keep looking.

Monika
  • mark130273
    All I can say is good luck!

I have just finished level 3 as part of a career change and have now decided to change careers again.

I am so sick of the same vicious circle - You can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job. At 44 I certainly dont fit into the average 'junior' position and am no use to any accounts role in any other guise.

I recently applied for a job as a 'junior' and did not get an interview, but the job was given to a guy in my class who was less qualified then me, no life experiences and half my age.

With that in mind, it is not so much about qualifications but a number of other factors so do your research on interview techniques and be prepared for some ludicrous questions!

I recently looked at the Hays Guide for salaries and decided that the stress and crap you have to go through is not worth swapping my current wage for AND I do a quarter of the hours (self employed). I even earn more than the average Level 4 so I'm leaving accountancy far behind. I'm guessing from your login name that you are 35 so you're in the same boat as me so once again, good luck.

well thanks for your good luck wishes. i can see its going to be just "good luck" and not skill weather i get a job now or in 3 years !!
  • S11AHS
    S11AHS Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    im also struging!!!

hello

I'm in the same situation as you my friend!!!!!
    its been more than 2 yrs looking for a job.
    i dont understand why dont i get a data entry/admin role which gradually if youre luky cud get u an opportunity in the accounts dept.

I have been looking for voluntary work
  • numberjunky
    numberjunky Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Just remembered something else that happened recently - In a last ditch effort I emailed my OWN accountant an told him the whole story of how I can't get a foot in the door and I offered to work for nothing! Here's the reply I got......

Words to the effect that he couldn't offer any help because...

1 He'd just taken on someone and didn't need any help (accountants always need help)

2 I COULD NOT work for nothing as the law states he would have to pay me minimum wage (would love some clarification on this)

3 Despite having theoretical knowledge, I would be no use to an accounts firm without a minimum of 6 months experience (of course - that's why I'm emailing you - idiot!)

His reply made me so angry I will not be using him anymore and I'm going to do my own accounts online!

I'm sticking to what I know - music and entertaining. You can keep your stuffy office jobs, crap money and stress. I'm glad I took AAT Level 3 as it's a good qualification but as a career change so late in life, it just wont work.

Steps down from soapbox....ahhhhhhhhh.
  • mark130273
    Just remembered something else that happened recently - In a last ditch effort I emailed my OWN accountant an told him the whole story of how I can't get a foot in the door and I offered to work for nothing! Here's the reply I got......

Words to the effect that he couldn't offer any help because...

1 He'd just taken on someone and didn't need any help (accountants always need help)

2 I COULD NOT work for nothing as the law states he would have to pay me minimum wage (would love some clarification on this)

3 Despite having theoretical knowledge, I would be no use to an accounts firm without a minimum of 6 months experience (of course - that's why I'm emailing you - idiot!)

His reply made me so angry I will not be using him anymore and I'm going to do my own accounts online!

I'm sticking to what I know - music and entertaining. You can keep your stuffy office jobs, crap money and stress. I'm glad I took AAT Level 3 as it's a good qualification but as a career change so late in life, it just wont work.

Steps down from soapbox....ahhhhhhhhh.

1: need help is the worst one ive ever heard

2: oh ? so how does charity work work ??? volentree ? cause you can work for nothing

3: c.v filed under "b" for bin ?
  • garry_coombs
    garry_coombs Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    The way I got my first accounts job (this year) was to send my CV out to around 6 accounts firms (with stamped return envelopes) in the end though I was just lucky, the accounts firm I really wanted to work for were about to advertise and decided to not advertise and give me the job after a short interview!

It's all about timing and luck in my opinion, get your CV out there, you'll get plenty of 'we'll keep it on file' but dont be deterred, keep sending it periodically!!

Also maybe it would be wise to look into seeing whether AAT will accept (creatively perhaps) you doing your own accounts as a contribution to your accounts experience required for the qualification, also mentioning this at interviews may help situations.

And as a first accounts job before being AAT qualified you probably will be taking a cut, to maybe 11-13 k as a max lol
  • rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk
    rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Surely not that bad is it ?

11-13 K !?

You'd have to be fully qualified before hoping for more than that, even in the South-East / London ?

I may as pack in studying then because I'd lose my home on that paltry kind of salary.

That's awful.:ohmy:
  • LouLou143
    LouLou143 Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    I decided to have a career change 4 years ago - I must admit to move into finance was a struggle. I applied for loads of jobs and was turned down because I had no experience.........and often asked them how I'd get experience if noone employed me?!!!!

Then I got lucky.....I think it is because I had some knowledge of banking on my side......I started off in treasury for a mere 12K....I had to take it and yes it was a HUGE cut. But before I knew it, within a year, I went to £15k - I proved to them that I could do it and because I had 1 more year of AAT, this was a bonus too.

I am just starting a new job and the reflects where I am in my studies and my experience....

So taking a cut, maybe the way to go but there will always be a job out there for you.,....just keep looking.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I have worked in several accountants and the pay - even when I had paid for my own training an they conributed NOTHING - was worse than nothing.

If you go into a business finance department the pay tends to be better. They also look for people without expeience as they want to train people to their standards.

Accountants think that they cant "AFFORD" the risk but thetruth is someone took a risk on them didnt they? Sorry certain accountancy firms.
  • princess246
    princess246 Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    I cant believe the salaries that I'm seeing being quoted just because you dont have the AAT qualification.

I've been working in accounts for nearly 6 years now and when i started back in 2002 i was on £14k then im now on £25k and im still doing my AAT.

Whenever i employ accounts payable staff i always pick peeps with no expeirence for two reasons one so i can train them to my standard and secondly because no other companies give people with no expeirence a chance. At present my ap staff who have no exp start automatically on £18k.

All i can advise is too keep trying and something will come up sooner then later. :thumbup1:
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Reed Personnel told me that my Business degree and AAT NVQ 4 counted for nowt without experience - they were going to market me for jobs around £13k-£14K. If that's not devaluing my qualifications and experience I don't know what is - I am 41, have sales ledger and line management experience and still can't get a job!

I would advise anyone to think seriously before taking a time out for a career change like I did- especially as ledger job vacancies are now being advertised as requiring part qualified ACCA! What hope is there for the AAT candidates?
  • clarew
    clarew Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    I'm doomed!

Well it sounds like I dont stand a chance in getting a job.
    Who is going to want a 40 year old, ex-telecommunications engineer, with 2 kids under 6 and only looking for a part time position!!!
    Perhaps I should give up while I'm ahead:crying:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Except that when I started I was a 31 year old ex retailer with 1 child (which soon became 2) and I work part time in practice.

Some employers can see the advantage of having a 'life experienced' employee!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Some employers can see the advantage of having a 'life experienced' employee!

Not in South Wales they don't!
  • mark130273
    I cant believe the salaries that I'm seeing being quoted just because you dont have the AAT qualification.

I've been working in accounts for nearly 6 years now and when i started back in 2002 i was on £14k then im now on £25k and im still doing my AAT.

Whenever i employ accounts payable staff i always pick peeps with no expeirence for two reasons one so i can train them to my standard and secondly because no other companies give people with no expeirence a chance. At present my ap staff who have no exp start automatically on £18k.

All i can advise is too keep trying and something will come up sooner then later. :thumbup1:

all i can princess246 !!!!!!

please oh please give me chance !!!
  • princess246
    princess246 Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    I dont have any jobs going at the moment I'm afraid.

But i do know other people who could be looking for AP staff, i will ask around if you want? Its in London though??????
  • Polymer xx
    Polymer xx Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    AAT-ACA Vacancies

Hi People

Just reading your posts and thought you might be interested in this.

The National Audit Office (where I work) recruits people every year. The whole package is really good and the scheme I'm on allows you to do your AAT in two years and the ACA in two years after that. I think they'll be open to arrangements for people who have already started their AAT. The best thing is you don't need any prior experience. The salary is really good and they provide loads of support for studying and exams etc.

They have vacancies at the moment to so why not check it out.

Hope that helps.
  • hobblesan
    hobblesan Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Polymer,

Can I ask are u refering to the Audit Technician Trainee post or the NAO Graduate Recruitment?

And I gather it must be London or Newcastle? Hmmmmmmmm shame I'm based in Manchester and can't move cos I recently just brought a house !!
  • mark130273
    well sounds lovely that job or jobs ..but where are they based ! if its the far north or south ...anyone in the middle doesnt have a chance in hell of gettign it ?
  • Polymer xx
    Hey people

Yep, I was referring to the AAT-ACA scheme. It is in London which is another factor to consider. They do do a graduate scheme as well where you can complete the ACA in three years if you have a degree in any discipline and for that sheme they recruit about 70 a year and you can work at either the Newcastle office or the London one.

If you go onto the ICAEW site, there a list of all the companies that offer the AAT-ACA scheme or others, and you can search by region if thats any help. I've just done a quick search for West Midlands (which is in the middle) and plently have come up. What you've got to remember is that most of the jobs are inner city. I would of thought there would be a lot going in Manchester, but obviously not. You never know, it could be worth moving, I did and I'm on higher than the National Average (which is currently about £22,000) and I'm still only 18. Plus house rises are falling rapidly in the capital so its the best time to buy. I've got one more year of the AAT left and then I can complete to ACA in two years after that.

Neways, have a look when you get a chance...
  • melc25
    melc25 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Careers etc.

Positive mental attitude, employers will see that you've had enough of applying for jobs and not getting anywhere. Could always set up your own firm! With the internet you can network easily, and you could manage it from home.
  • mark130273
    melc25 wrote: »
    Positive mental attitude, employers will see that you've had enough of applying for jobs and not getting anywhere. Could always set up your own firm! With the internet you can network easily, and you could manage it from home.

well i can see your point about p.m.a. , of casuse they will notice that.

i got turned down for a job recently because i play online poker.....they thought i had a gambling problem ...lol

own firm could be a choice ..might look if i havent got one afer the nvq level IIII !
  • jells33
    jells33 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Polymer xx wrote: »
    Hi People

Just reading your posts and thought you might be interested in this.

The National Audit Office (where I work) recruits people every year. The whole package is really good and the scheme I'm on allows you to do your AAT in two years and the ACA in two years after that. I think they'll be open to arrangements for people who have already started their AAT. The best thing is you don't need any prior experience. The salary is really good and they provide loads of support for studying and exams etc.

They have vacancies at the moment to so why not check it out.

Hope that helps.

hi could you email me the web addy for the place you state above that are recruiting for new staff much appreciated my email addy is jellybabes30@aol.com
  • Polymer xx
    done!:001_smile:
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Not in South Wales they don't!

I with you on that! In wales they look for experienced people without opportunities to train people in the first place. I find this too common.
  • mark130273
    jells33 wrote: »
    hi could you email me the web addy for the place you state above that are recruiting for new staff much appreciated my email addy is jellybabes30@aol.com

hey !!!! i know that email addi !!!cheeky girl !
  • Layla
    Layla Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Gosh after reading all your posts im now truely appreciating my job and salary..

all i can advise is to get your CV out to as many agencies as possible,
    thats how i got my job i joined office angels looking for an admin job and ended up in an accounts role because previously i worked for customer services in a large retail firm and was doing basic accounting without even realising.

one good agency that i know of is Page Personnel and they have jobs advertised in the whole of the uk with pretty good salary rates,
    and most of the jobs advertised have a study support package so you'll save so much money there!

the web address is-
    http://www.pagepersonnel.co.uk/
  • mark130273
    many thanks for that ...i have already signed up with about 5 agencies.....but i think it would be much better for myself to try the dry run of sending out my own cv with letter to all the accountants in the wirral merseyside area......hopefully it could work ?
  • lisad5
    lisad5 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Thought i would add my comments to the mix.
    As someone who has been looking for a permanent job for the last 2 years i know how you feel!
    If it is an option i would recommend temp work. I have now been temping for the last 2 years and for the last 14 months for the same company. The money is much better than when i worked at my last permanent job and its given me loads of experience to add to my CV.

I have just completed my AAT (just awaiting the result!) and am hoping that this will make a difference with employers but until then i will keep on temping!
Privacy Policy