College v Home Study

Options
edddd1
edddd1 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi-
I just completed my Foundation Year AAT and now am considering enrolling for my second year. I did first year at my local college, two hours a week, in work time, and did most of my work at home. I am now questioning whether a Home Study course might be more suited- the likes of Kaplan etc. My experience of college started well, but after Christmas I found I was turning up but would not really learn much there as the lessons got very relaxed and informal. Does anyone have any experience of these purely Home Study courses?

Thanks

Comments

• Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I do home study diploma route with Kaplan. i found it hard as at the moment i am doing unit 31 which I don't think is a NVQ unit so I can't do it at my local kaplan centre like i did with unit 5 so didn't know where to do it as didn't want to do it at work. Ended up getting dad to ask his auditors if I can do it with them. luckily I can but was at the end of my teather with Kaplan as they aren't that helpful when I came to installing sage and didnt have product key. Luckily the person passed me onto a much more helpful person which restored my faith in them as she was really helpful. I think sometimes they don't care about distance learning people that much and it doesn't help that they work 9-5 so it doesn't help us that are doing distance learning because we also work 9-5 so when we get to studying there is no-one there for us
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have tried studying with Kaplan but it is a no go for me. I had the problem with once I got home from work it was really hard to motivate myself and I did not want to study. I then tried going to college and I found it so much better (just passed intermediate)

In the end I think it comes down to what sort of person you are and if you have the self drive and motivation to study on your own.
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    For me college beats home study but I understand why people need to do it if college is inconvenient. But one thing I'm certain of a local tertiary college beats professional schools like BTC and kaplan. Do they speak English ? Try enrolling and it's like talking to programmed sales people and robot tutors. But this is just my humble opinion.

As for lessons getting relaxed, don't worry intermediate - which I passed with ease - is a step up. You'll certainly learn a lot more plus there's more skills tests.

The disadvantage I have with college is that after a hard days work I can't fully concentrate and on 2 occassions fell asleep until I was told to stop snoring by someone.:D
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have no choice but distance learning as there are no colleges anywhere near me that do AAT.

THe nearest I have found are Greenock or Edinburgh both absolutely miles and miles away.

AAT want to promote their course to some Ayrshire or South Glasgow colleges.
  • Angi
    Angi Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    AAT Intermediate

Hello to all,
    I done home study and found it hard because my tutor wasn't local. Also trying to motivate yourself. I have now enrolled on to the AAT Intermediate at Bournemouth & Poole College.
    The other thing I find is that am looking for new job and am finding it to get someone to take me on with day release. I have a lot of experience in Bookkeeping & Accounts. I went to do AAT Intermediate back in 2005 but dropped out because of work commitments I won't be giving up this time.
    Anyway good luck on your choice what ever you choice to do
  • Angi
    Angi Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Study

Hello everyone

Anyone out there who will be studying with the AAT Intermediate in Bournemouth & Poole College in Sepetmber who would like to have someone to study with.
Privacy Policy