Sorry, but HMRC really are a bit dumb..

deanshepherd
deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I just phoned HMRC to check if there were any underpayments of tax from prior years included in my clients PAYE code - no problem there.

They then called me back 2 minutes later as he had given me the wrong information. He then proceeded to ask me to go through the identification process again by asking my clients date of birth.

I said "You called me. Before I can give you any information can you confirm that you are indeed from HMRC by confirming my clients NI number, date of birth and home address."

He replied "Sorry Sir, I cannot divulge that information without going through the security procedures first."

I replied "With respect, you called me and therefore I have no idea that you are who you say you are. I cannot divulge any information to you until you can confirm my clients details for security."

Dumb.

Comments

• Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Quality! :laugh:

Regards

Dean
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I just phoned HMRC to check if there were any underpayments of tax from prior years included in my clients PAYE code - no problem there.

They then called me back 2 minutes later as he had given me the wrong information. He then proceeded to ask me to go through the identification process again by asking my clients date of birth.

I said "You called me. Before I can give you any information can you confirm that you are indeed from HMRC by confirming my clients NI number, date of birth and home address."

He replied "Sorry Sir, I cannot divulge that information without going through the security procedures first."

I replied "With respect, you called me and therefore I have no idea that you are who you say you are. I cannot divulge any information to you until you can confirm my clients details for security."

Dumb.

Fantastic i love it dean well done about time they got it back :lol::lol::lol:
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Nice one! :thumbup1:

Speegs
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

They then called me back 2 minutes later as he had given me the wrong information.

They did that to me too a couple of weeks ago, so I duely amended the return and reprinted, and my client got her £80 refund, and then yesterday she got a letter saying that the £200 I'd put in box 8 (which is what they phoned back to tell me to do) shouldn't have been there! So client's not happy at having to pay it and I look like an eeedyit for getting it wrong. grrrrr.

On the topic of daft HMRC calls though, I phoned the VAT 'help'line today to find out what VAT a client had paid on his previous return (as he completed the sales figures himself and never told me what they were), so I explained that I needed the box 5 figure from the previous return. I get 'OK, first I'll need to take you through some security checks... Can you please give me the box 5 figure on the latest submitted return?' :crying::crying::crying:
Privacy Policy