Who has to work with someone they can't stand?

Pigpen
Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Just wondered if anyone else on here has someone they can't stand that they have to work with?

Luckily my nemesis is about to have a week off and I could do cart wheels :lol:
ยซ13

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I don't dislike someone I work with, but I detest the way they work it drives me mad. As a colleague they are a nightmare but as a person they are alright.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i used to work with a woman who did not agree with working mum's (mmm data input officer or ambitious maybe!!!!!).

needless to say she tried to break me down by forcing me to do part time hours - i took her up on it and on a friday afternoon when she was still there at 5.30 - i was waving at her through the window at 2.30 on my way home.

she no longer works for the company - but i still do - mmm what does that say.

Tracy
  • Pigpen
    Alas - mine will never leave - Even tho they have the social skills and charm of an STD and the Buisness brain of the cute kid off the Kleenex ad - Actually he is probably far more clever - Lol
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I wish we had staff last long enough to form an appinoin but they dont last long hence 8 employees in 12 months lol (omg its me am the one no one will work with) :lol:
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Pigpen wrote: ยป
    Actually he is probably far more clever - Lol

Sounds like our MD's stepson who I have to work with, he's so unprofessional and lazy and either really really dim or very very clever :001_unsure:
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I used to have to work with the boss's mther in law in a previous company, she was in her late 60s/early 70s and starting to exhibt the early signs of dementia. She would shout at customers on the phone and forget what she was doing.

She absoutely hated my guts and would spread terible gossip about me around the company and to the customers.

After a few years she was moved into my office across the desk from me and I was supposed to try to keep her under control and not let her answer the phone.

Absolute nightmare, the only reason I stayed for as long as I did was because the job market was dire in our area and I could at least walk to work there. Eventually enough was enough and I left.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I used to have to work with the boss's mther in law in a previous company, she was in her late 60s/early 70s and starting to exhibt the early signs of dementia. She would shout at customers on the phone and forget what she was doing.

She absoutely hated my guts and would spread terible gossip about me around the company and to the customers.

After a few years she was moved into my office across the desk from me and I was supposed to try to keep her under control and not let her answer the phone.

Absolute nightmare, the only reason I stayed for as long as I did was because the job market was dire in our area and I could at least walk to work there. Eventually enough was enough and I left.

My last boss was a nightmare, a self confeessed hater of men, and very unpredictable. I asked her once whether I was due an appraisal, and her answer was "Why? Do you need a pat on the back?"

Some days she could be really helpful and was a complete suck up in front of the MD, but in front of others she would get her claws out and try to make you look small. Needless to say, I didnt stand for that, and the problems it caused, me standing up for myself, was mostly the reason I left the business.

Sometimes, you have bad luck, now I am working for a new dept in a much larger business, who are professional, and friendly (a bonus, however not a necessity in my eyes) and very supportive of my studies, and thirst for knowledge.

So its swings and roundabouts!!

Paul
  • JJ43
    JJ43 Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor โญ
    In my experience, working for a husband and wife team has to be an all time bummer !

My first job was working within an engineering firm, He would creep up behind me , slam his cup on my desk, no words spoken, this was my cue to make him a drink - I used to put a drop of industrial proof hand cleaner in his coffee.

She could always be found with a cigarette hanging out the side of her mouth - very classy. They fought like cat and dog between 9 - 5 and made our life hell. When I was expecting my first child, I told her my good news (I had been there for 5 years), she said, you either come back to work full time or nothing, Im not having you do part time, fortunately, I had grown some `men balls` and told her what to do with her gracious offer !
  • Pigpen
    OMG Jilbo the similarities are scary

Just remove the "step" and you have the scenario!!

I wouldn't mind but they are mid thirties and act like a two year old

The mistakes are endless and I can't count the amount of knives I have had to remove from my back

Luckily apart form the odd time when I let it get to me I find it all quite amusing.

Still a week without will be bliss
  • Pigpen
    A-Vic what are you doing to them all ?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic what are you doing to them all ?

Its not me a tells ya

Well the funniest one was they cut their finger went to the hospital (bearing in mind i papercut) and never came back.

Another had to go away - 5 months later JSA sent a form for completion on theirs details of work

Another just kept falling asleep (6.5 snored and grunted too)

one light fingered

the list goes on and on
  • Pigpen
    Our staff never leave - worst luck :crying:

Maybe this person will get stuck in a big snowball, rescued by mountain rescue and then fall hopelessly in love with one of the rescue party (or their dogs) and decide never to come back !

I can dream
  • jilbo
    OMG Jilbo the similarities are scary .........
    I wouldn't mind but they are mid thirties and act like a two year old

Ah, and mine is the ripe old age of 46 :lol: Actually he's been prize chump this afternoon with a big enough cock-up to last all year!! At least it's Friday :thumbup:
  • Pigpen
    The sad reality is - The powers that be are perfectly aware of how inept this person is and yet if redundancies have to be made - You know it won't be them up the road!

Tragic
  • jilbo
    My boss gives the excuse that he can't do anything about it because his wife wouldn't stand for it, it being his stepson and all. Spineless comes to mind :glare:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jilbo wrote: ยป
    Ah, and mine is the ripe old age of 46 :lol: Actually he's been prize chump this afternoon with a big enough cock-up to last all year!! At least it's Friday :thumbup:

That'll put someone in a good mood for the weekend then:lol::lol:
  • Pigpen
    Jilbo - In you I have found a soul mate - lol
  • jilbo
    Feel free to exchange whinges anytime :lol:
  • Pigpen
    Mine installed web watching software on my PC so he could see what I was up to and access my pc remotely

He was found out - Nothing done!

Sadly I don't do much worth looking at - lol

BTW - Press CTRL ALT Caps Lock

If nothing happens you haven' t been tampered with
  • mowzer
    mowzer Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor โญ
    I have exactly this problem. I've considered leaving but I do really like the job.

I work in a room with three other people, one of whom is sane but another of which is the boss's relative and does very little except laugh all day (seriously, even 'I'm just popping to the loo' can raise an annoying 'heh heh') and produces almost no work so we have to pick up the pieces. This is a bit irritating as he gets paid for sitting on his bum for 7 hours:mad2:

The last and worst is the horrible rude woman who's in charge of us. She's thick and can't even talk to clients without starting to lose her temper with them but management seem completely oblivious to this. All she does is complain about how hard her (no worse than anyone else's) life is and phone her parents at least once a day to F and blind at them for not doing something or other for her.

It's really depressing because I know that this person really will NEVER leave, I'm just hoping to progress past her as she keeps failing exams and see how p****d off she looks!

Evil I know but when someone has insulted you every day for 3 and a half years you start to lose your sense of humour a bit :001_tongue:

I feel better for writing this though, a good whinge can be very therapeutic!!!

Sorry to anyone who read this essay, thank God it's Friday! :thumbup:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well thinking...................cant really answer that question as people havebeen sacked for putting they hate there job on facebook ??
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A-Vic

In my last company i started a lady who had been working in a factory all her days, been made redundant and did a training scheme, I was only looking for an office junior to do filing, a bit of typing and copying.

She left afte half a day saying she could not cope with the filing and did not think it was worth sticking it out for the rest of the week to see how she got on.

Her replacement then lasted a week and didnot turn back up on the Monday.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well thinking...................cant really answer that question as people havebeen sacked for putting they hate there job on facebook ??

People should always be careful what they put on Facebook or at least make sure their profile isn't visible to the whole world. One of the standard recruitment checks for potential candidates is to check if their Facebook profile is publicly accessible and if it is, what they put on it. It's an accurate indication of their true, maybe dark personality rather than the pleasant, very formal one they put on in the interviews. And if we can see it then so can our clients and it wouldn't look good if one of Dubai candidates secretly turned out to be a white supremacist or worse!

As for the girl who was sacked, well easy to say she should have had more sense but she's only 16 although it wouldn't surprise me if she was using Facebook at work while slagging her employer off on company time!
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I must say I've been fairly lucky with my work mates. Just minor annoyances like eating too loud and having to listen to them chat about what cute little thing their neice done over the weekend. My boss' personal 'beliefs' annoy the living heck out me though - he doesn't believe in evolution...EVOLUTION!! He's not religous or anything, he just doesn't accept it...! Whats that about? :confused1:

Anyway, thats just a minor, he's a good bloke other than that. I don't really let anything bother me at work anyway. They pay me 9-5 no matter what and it ALWAYS could be worse.
  • blobbyh
    Doesn't believe in evolution? Doesn't believe in Genesis? Is there a third option known only to him? After all, surely even aliens must be one or t'other? So where does he think life came from? Bizarre.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I work with someone who we just don't get on. I don't specifically have a problem with her other than the problem (whatever it may be) she has with me.

It has progressively got worse over the time I have been there to the point where she times me if I ever leave the room (I have seen her noting the time I return) she wont really speak to me, even if I say hello to her.

I also had an arrangement with work last year for reduced hours after an injury and she even complained about that.

The main problem is my employers tend to go on her word as they seem to work on a case of 'Who's been here the longest'.

Hence I'm now looking elsewhere as they don't support my ambitions.

Rant over, apologies
    Regards,

Burg
  • blobbyh
    Just out of curiosity Burg, but harking back to the earlier posts regarding the discussion of identifiable jobs online, do you actually work at Martin Lewis' company as per your avatar?
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well found out how you can make sure onyl certain people can see you profile...but if oyu work mates are you friends too then cant slag work off on facebook....

i got told off because i joined an accounting group on facebook and they said and i quote "your not even an accountant YET"

cheeky buggers ......lol
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    no, don't work for MSE, just used to spend quite a bit of time on there.

Work in practice
    Regards,

Burg
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Doesn't believe in evolution? Doesn't believe in Genesis? Is there a third option known only to him? After all, surely even aliens must be one or t'other? So where does he think life came from? Bizarre.

Oh, don't get me started! I've have this out with him a few times. He's against organised religion ("just manipulation/control of the people"), but kinda does/kinda doesn't believe in a 'god'/creator. He accepts evolution in other animals (dogs from wolves etc), but just can't accept we come from 'apes'... I think its the evolution theory that throws him, even though I've explained to him all of the compelling evidence for the theory to be a virtual fact....sometimes, it annoys me that this man is my boss :glare:
Privacy Policy