Life after AAT

Options
alicemaylara
alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor 🦉
.....Ah!
I'm thinking about ACCA but I have also looked into Bookkeeping as a stand alone business. I'm only 20 so I think setting up my own Bookkeeping business is maybe a stage too far? Or is it?

Does anyone no of any qualifications that would help me on that road? I did go on the Institute of Bookkeepers but they don't seem to recognise AAT as a qualification?

Could anyone give me some suggestions on where I go from here, Thanks guys:thumbup:

Comments

• alicemaylara
    Options
    I've just realized how sad I am to be posting here on a Friday night :(
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Not as sad as me - I've been away for a week studying in Nottingham and within an hour of getting in the door, I've logged on here!:laugh:

No hope really...:lol:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Acca
  • alicemaylara
    Options
    Ha enough said, thanks
  • ajames
    ajames Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Just bookkeeping? Then stay with AAT.
    To get a practice certificate with ACCA (I believe - go have a look on the ACCA website) takes a further 3 years after becoming a member and your not allowed to do any accountancy work inbetween this time. Although bookkeeping is allowed, means stopping at a TB. I also think you can't submit documents for 3rd parties, i.e. VAT returns.

edit: I meant self-employed accountancy work
  • alicemaylara
    Options
    Few you got me worried there i thought id have to quit my job!
    Thanks, i think im going to do ACCA purely because ill feel lazy otherwise, but if it was up to me i wouldn't!
  • JohnR
    JohnR Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,

You will be able to set up as a self employed bookkeeper, although other posts are correct, you will have prepare accounts to TB and hand them to the accountant.
    Don't knock yourself, if you get the right market it can be a good income, I started a bookkeeping business along with a decorators merchant, the decorators paid more, thus I am back to study for AAT.
    If you require any advice please ask, it is the only way to avoid pitfalls.

John
Privacy Policy