just a thought ?

mark130273
mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
how hard would you reckon it would be to do accounts/bookkeeping if we still had pounds shillings and pence !!

with 240 pennies in the pound and all that rubbish they got rid off in 1971 ???

:huh:

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    how hard would you reckon it would be to do accounts/bookkeeping if we still had pounds shillings and pence !!

Hard work :lol:

Morning
  • mark130273
    morning to you too..............and imagine then too you didnt have excel either ?
  • A-Vic
    morning to you too..............and imagine then too you didnt have excel either ?

some of our files are really old and when i first started in this job i had to do a lot of archving and it looked like everything they did was by hand just loads and load of ledger papers now that must have been hard work.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

It would be no different to today, after all, it's only numbers. I'm old enough to have worked with Pounds, shillings and pence and I had no problem.
    I remember the switch over to decimal coinnage and the way we were all ripped off by the traders, very much the same as the continentals were ripped off by the switch to the euro!!!
    One of the big rip-offs, if I remember correctly, was the mars bar. It went from 6 old pence to 6 new pence, over night!!!!
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Thinking along similar lines, imagine the accounting process for a large company before computers!
  • A-Vic
    Thinking along similar lines, imagine the accounting process for a large company before computers!

plenty of admin jobs am sure
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

I worked in the RAF when everything was completed manually and posted to the big computer at RAF Innsworth, in Gloucester. Print outs were then posted back to us.
    When I came back into civvy street and worked at Stanley Tools in Sheffield, we priced up the piece work cards, which were then sent to the punch room for the girls to enter the info onto cards with little holes punched into them. These were fed into the computer and we were then sent large green and white print outs! That was back in the days when computers took up half an office block and had less computing power than the average calculator does these days.:lol::lol:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Going back two decades but when I ran my betting shop, I had to learn how to calculate all the different types of bets available (round robins, lucky 15's etc), how to multiply permutations (trebles, fourfolds, fivefolds etc) , know all the basic factors (odds expressed as decimals). Took nearly six months of training to do all that and even longer to practice it. Now it's all done with computers and much of the theory side of bet settling is lost... ho hum...
  • A-Vic
    lol it reminds me of putting bets on for my dad covering the card at bell view dogs

1-2 10p f/c doubles

so it be 66 bets over 12 races (correct me if am wrong) i think one night he got 3, 1 -2's and ended up with over ยฃ500 (bear in mind this was over 20 years ago)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    lol it reminds me of putting bets on for my dad covering the card at bell view dogs

1-2 10p f/c doubles

so it be 66 bets over 12 races (correct me if am wrong) i think one night he got 3, 1 -2's and ended up with over ยฃ500 (bear in mind this was over 20 years ago)
    Hope you got a share of it.

I remember the first computer I sued in an office, every couple of weeks I had to open up the CPU and change the backup batteries (think they were 'C' types) they were there to keep the information safe when it was switched off at the mains overnight.

I was telling someone about it the other week and they thought it was the funniest thing ever.
  • mark130273
    change the batteries in the cpu that sounds like a right laugh !!!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    My Foundation year tutor used to work in a steel works - pre decimalcountign couldnot be done on a calculator - she told us numerous stories of short cuts and tales of derring do using a machine called a comptometer (spelling?) which did all the hard ยฃ. s. d. caluclations for her.

Mind you, I am so glad I am 'post-decimal'!!!!
  • mark130273
    my foundation year tutor used to work in a steel works - pre decimalcountign couldnot be done on a calculator - she told us numerous stories of short cuts and tales of derring do using a machine called a comptometer (spelling?) which did all the hard ยฃ. S. D. Caluclations for her.

Mind you, i am so glad i am 'post-decimal'!!!!

ditto ?
Privacy Policy