computer based exams versus paper based

sharonj
sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi

Has anyone had any experience of taking computer based exams instead of the paper based ones that are taken twice a year?

Im due to take the FRA and ECR in December but am wondering whether to take the computer based ones instead. I understand that you get a provisional pass/fail at the time of taking them so you have an idea how you've done and you only have to wait a week for the results instead of 8-10 weeks. My only worry is that if part of my revision involves using the previous exam papers to practice the exam, how would I revise for the computer based exam if I am only using paper based previous exams to practice.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, confused from Bexley.
ยซ1

Comments

• heartsandstars
    heartsandstars Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    http://www.aat.org.uk/content/item18267/

Hi, There should be some practice CBE's at this link.
  • sharonj
    http://www.aat.org.uk/content/item18267/

Hi, There should be some practice CBE's at this link.
    Great, thanks
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    dont know if i like that, as i like to scribble down. i think it will be better as you wont have to wait for results, as you get a provisional result that day

Tracy
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i know ive heard that they are bringing this into effect. wish they had that when started because i reckon i could of taken the exams earlier and done the whole thing in 2 years !!
  • sharonj
    I just tried it out on the link given, doing the IAC that I've just taken this June. I actually found it easier than I thought. I wonder if they give you scrap paper as I think I would need it, especially for correction of entries. If they give you that I think I will go for the computer based exam next time.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    OK, so I'm really sad but I think I might actually do one of these when I've got an hour or so spare.
  • mark130273
    and how do you reckon you would do then CJC?
  • heartsandstars
    heartsandstars Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    I think in the blurb on the page it says that you can use rough paper for any workings on the exams.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Well I'm not doing too well I can't even get off the first page :blushing: how do I open it
  • CJC
    I think anything more than PLB and I'd be struggling, I don't do much accountancy these days apart from the bits and pieces I use in running my business.
  • CJC
    Well I'm not doing too well I can't even get off the first page :blushing: how do I open it
    I had that problem, it didn't fit on my laptop screen properly hiding the navigation buttons down at the bottom. Try running your browser in full screen mode.
  • mark130273
    CJC wrote: ยป
    I think anything more than PLB and I'd be struggling, I don't do much accountancy these days apart from the bits and pieces I use in running my business.[/QUOTE

and i hope its not that easy and multi choise answers ?
  • sharonj
    CJC wrote: ยป
    I think anything more than PLB and I'd be struggling, I don't do much accountancy these days apart from the bits and pieces I use in running my business.[/QUOTE

and i hope its not that easy and multi choise answers ?
    it's literally exactly the same as the paper based one. I did the whole exam in about 1 hr 15 mins, I found it quite quick and easy to use and at the end it said I had passed. Woo hoo!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Thanks CJC, had to move from the desktop to the laptop as destktop wouldn't let me reduce the window. Off to attempt FRA
  • mark130273
    it's literally exactly the same as the paper based one. I did the whole exam in about 1 hr 15 mins, I found it quite quick and easy to use and at the end it said I had passed. Woo hoo!

well sounds like its a lot easier than drawing up the "t" accounts and mapping the p&l and bs ?
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Do you start talking to yourself once you spend a certain amount of time on here?

What's after Seasoned Pro? At 3000? "Hairy Palm"?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Do you start talking to yourself once you spend a certain amount of time on here?

What's after Seasoned Pro? At 3000? "Hairy Palm"?

lol "old tart" in his case :lol:
  • mark130273
    dont know........but im sure me and a-vic will find out sometime ?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    dont know........but im sure me and a-vic will find out sometime ?

Well mark am off friday till 8th september so you get till then to catch up :001_smile:
  • mark130273
    :001_tt2:would i really wanna catch up with such a brilliant thread posting spambot like you ?:tongue_smilie::laugh::thumbup1::thumbup:
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Does anyone know if you have to get 100% on CBE. How do they set pass mark if you are told result straight away. I have had a look and some of it seems easier than the paper version on first impressions.
  • mark130273
    i shouldnt think the pass rate is going to be much different from the papers because if it was a lot higher then surely moer people wouold just take the paper exams...
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I have opened your link to access the practice CBEs but where on the actual site do you find the info on them.
  • mark130273
    well i dont think you should be able to take as many as you want....every 15minutes.....im sure even if you didnt know much at all that eventually you would pass by pure guess work?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Agree mark!
  • mark130273
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    Agree mark!

is that how your got though ???:001_tt2:
  • AK002
    LOL no.
  • mark130273
    LOL no.

oh so you managed to actually learn your subject then !!!!:glare:
  • AK002
    Yup!

I've forgotten it all now tho!
  • mark130273
    Yup!

I've forgotten it all now tho!

well thats life all over ........get though and forget !!!!
Privacy Policy