Double Exam revision tips

Esme
Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Does anyone have any tips for revising for two exams? I've got PCR and PEV in Dec and have only ever done one exam at a sitting before.

I'm doing past exam papers for PEV at the moment and will start going through PCR next month but am worried about completely forgetting PEV!

Any advice kindly appreciated :p

Comments

• Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    my advice would be to spend set nights revising each to ensure you are revising both and not just one of the exams. This way they both stay fresh in your mind as the exams are normally close together.
    Good luck
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    as pev and pcr are such close subjects, i found it really easy to sit and pass both the first time.

i do recommend going through past papers, but also try and revise why you are doing things.

i remembered the formulas and as soon as i sat in the exam, i wrote them all down on a spare piece of the exam booklet, as 2 hours into the exam when you do need that formula it will have gone out of your mind, but if you write it down in your 15 minute reading time, then you will have it for later on.

If you need any more help - give the forums a shout, they are a real help nearer the time.

Hope that helps

Tracy
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Remember that PCR is going to have proformas in section 1. This is the first time.
    I'd print off past answers and tip-ex and photocopy top produce mock pro-formas.

Taskey's advice is first class as always.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    thanks Sandy

Tracy
  • Esme
    Thanks everyone..

Sandy, do you know when the revision days in London will be for these?
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Esme wrote: ยป
    Thanks everyone..

Sandy, do you know when the revision days in London will be for these?

well the exams should be about 3 days apart .and if you do little bits of each bewtween now and exam dates then this will give you a good background for passing . then on the weeknd before your exam then hit the books hard for the first exam you have then dont go out partying until you have taken the second exam . so after you have finished the first exam . relax a bit then study hard for the next two days for the second exam and this will be fresh in your mind when you take the second exam and if you can take revision sessions ! but i think most of all dont panick. you should have plenty of time to finish both exams !!
    but good luck !
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Am doing PTC and DFS first time for two at once also, i tend to shy away from the one am doing well at (or find easier to understand) and put a lot more effort in areas am stuggling at, but worry that if i do that too much i will forget the other
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    strangely enouhg that what my tactics was . to study harder on the one that i thought i would struggle on and just let my knowledge got through on the other one . but you still should have a couple of days between them .s o this will give you chance between exams to study harder for the seocnd one ...just hope that s the one that will need the work ?.....
    but good luck all .....and that is the same statute i have used for ACCA taking two each term .one easier than the other ?? well i hoped it would be....has not worked that way !haahahahaha
  • A-Vic
    strangely enouhg that what my tactics was . to study harder on the one that i thought i would struggle on and just let my knowledge got through on the other one . but you still should have a couple of days between them .s o this will give you chance between exams to study harder for the seocnd one ...just hope that s the one that will need the work ?.....
    but good luck all .....and that is the same statute i have used for ACCA taking two each term .one easier than the other ?? well i hoped it would be....has not worked that way !haahahahaha

awww bless ya i bet you will be fine :)
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Esme
    The weekends are all in November
    7 8
    14 15
    21 22

I can't remember what is scheduled for each day
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Esme
    Thanks for the advice Mark..there's no chance I will be partying in between the exams.. straight after the second one I will be hitting the pub tho!!

Thaks for the dates Sandy.. I'll hopefully see you there!
  • bambilicious
    bambilicious Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor โญ
    Remember that PCR is going to have proformas in section 1. This is the first time.
    I'd print off past answers and tip-ex and photocopy top produce mock pro-formas.

Taskey's advice is first class as always.

This is new to me - what do you mean pro-formas?? Oh god is this something I have completely just brushed under the carpet?? x
  • A-Vic
    This is new to me - what do you mean pro-formas?? Oh god is this something I have completely just brushed under the carpet?? x

It just means in stead of having to write the whole account they are written for you so you just input the figures (a good thing)
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I did PEV & PCR together last summer. PEV came first so I made sure I spent a lot of my time concentrating on this paper. I then had 3 days between exams so I used this time to swat up for PCR. PCR is budgets so I found this was quite a small chapter and not a lot to learn.

As long as you can flex budgets and make adjustments you'll be fine! The paper was very long winded it June and I took the full time to finish it - just read the question, take your time and you'll do ok x
  • bambilicious
    bambilicious Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor โญ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    It just means in stead of having to write the whole account they are written for you so you just input the figures (a good thing)

Phew - thought it meant pro-forma invoices or something, I was thinking, hang on that was foundation!! haha.

Our tutor has been telling us to remember the layouts because at Tech stage they dont set it out for you - i'm glad they actually are as I have enough to learn!
  • A-Vic
    Phew - thought it meant pro-forma invoices or something, I was thinking, hang on that was foundation!! haha.

Our tutor has been telling us to remember the layouts because at Tech stage they dont set it out for you - i'm glad they actually are as I have enough to learn!

It is a good idea to remember the lay out and for pratise i do write the whole thing just so i know what figures go where but the proformas mean you dont spend half your exam writing
  • donnaalwill
    donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Thanks for the info about the proformas. Thats definitely a good thing, I did two exams last sitting, FRA & ECR so I am familiar with revising for two. Luckily PCR & PEV do overlap so thats much easier, plus I just have the one txtbook to study from. I did classroom study for foundation & intermediate though and this is the first time its entirely home study and on my own as the two people I studied with last time are doing different things now. I'm feeling fairly confident about PEV, not so much about PCR but I'm working on it. Can't believe they are so close now, where has the time gone?? Eeek
Privacy Policy