Office-appropriate knitwear

Bookworm55
Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
With the nights drawing in and their being an increasing chill in the air, I often find myself a little cold in the office, and wishing I had something a little warmer on. So I'd like to talk to you about mens knitwear. No, really.

What kind of things would you say are appropriate to wear at work? I suppose it depends on who you are and what you do, but office style tends to be fairly consistent. I'm in a smart-casual place at the moment, which for men manifests as 'smart' trousers and shirt (which may or may not be long-sleeved), with ties an option few outside of management take up. Some of the sales guys come in in full suits, but usually only if they're meeting clients.

Given the general lack of choice in menswear, I find myself at a loss for what kinds of jumpers are appropriate. Hoodies are clearly out, as are sweatshirts. But a decent piece of knitwear from M&S or Next etc could work, I feel. I also feel it has to be worn with a shirt, but that still leaves a lot of options. A sleeveless type, perhaps. Some of the other men in the office are wearing fleeces with our company logo on them, but I think these items look scruffy and ugly.

Please give me some suggestions on what to do before I come in in a cardigan (actually, that might be OK).

Jamie
Β«134

Comments

• Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    My hubbie wears various sleeveless type jumpers from Next, Debenhams, M & S etc over a smart shirt - dark in colour so black, or navy. He still looks very smart IMO.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Pinkjo wrote: Β»
    My hubbie wears various sleeveless type jumpers from Next, Debenhams, M & S etc over a smart shirt - dark in colour so black, or navy. He still looks very smart IMO.

sorry lost me a t the first mention of mens knitware ?did not read the rest and could not care less either ......jumpers have never wore one never will wear one and most prob never will ever wear one ! ?
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I just so happen to be wearing a sleeveless item today!

before the end of the season I intend try out tying my sweater around my neck in a jock-ish type way...

You could wear an undershirt/vest? A very common practice in America. Also helps to disguise nipple erections when you are cold. So I'm told anyway...
  • Toffeemadblue
    Toffeemadblue Registered Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    As I sit here in my 3/4 length shorts, shelveless t-shirt and CAT boots, I am enjoying this insight into traditional officewear, tell me more
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    "Forty something, White British Male working for an Vegetarian Food wholesaler and distributor"

That would explain it!
  • Toffeemadblue
    Toffeemadblue Registered Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    that's me, I have to dress up to go to colleage and all my peers are dressing down lol
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    You could wear an undershirt/vest? A very common practice in America. Also helps to disguise nipple erections when you are cold. So I'm told anyway...

It was so cold in our offce last year I invested in some thermal underwear - vest and long johns! A real passion killer at home, but who's to know at the office?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    As I sit here in my 3/4 length shorts, sleeveless t-shirt and CAT boots
    Well, I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals but then a) I'm working at home and no-one's going to see me and b) that's pretty much standard Newquay summer clobber (OK so it's not summer but it's still just about warm and sunny enough to get away with).
  • mark130273
    go to work in a my bosses house . never going out to see any clients but i still wear shirt and tie !?
  • Bookworm55
    sorry lost me a t the first mention of mens knitware ?did not read the rest and could not care less either

Then why would you post twice in the thread?

Hmm... I think I may give it a try, thanks. I suppose the worst that'll happen is that I'll get asked to remove it.
    Also helps to disguise nipple erections when you are cold.

Not something I tend to suffer from. I think. I'm all paranoid now and I'm wearing quite a thin shirt (which probably doesn't help, but I'm still phasing out my summer work wardrobe).
  • mark130273
    I just so happen to be wearing a sleeveless item today!

before the end of the season I intend try out tying my sweater around my neck in a jock-ish type way...

a undershirt .....oh my word .do i look 95 and eating soup through a straw !?!?
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I wear a balaclava but thats everyone else in the office choice, not mine.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ

You could bring it to Manchester, remember how cold it was in the Novotel :lol:
  • mark130273

very good.......here a good question ..when you ring osmeone for the first time and you have never met them do you make a mental picture of how they look like from the voice, i know i do ? !
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    very good.......here a good question ..when you ring osmeone for the first time and you have never met them do you make a mental picture of how they look like from the voice, i know i do ? !

Always and I'm usually completey wrong!
  • mark130273
    jilt wrote: Β»
    Always and I'm usually completey wrong!

im usually not bad at it , im usually guessing about the correct age and what type of build they are ....
  • Bookworm55
    Of course, this whole thing may be moot as apparently today the office heating system kicked in, making the whole building uncomfortably warm. Huh.
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    jilt wrote: Β»
    You could bring it to Manchester, remember how cold it was in the Novotel :lol:

Good thinking, it will go well with the snow suit I have ordered for that day!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Good thinking, it will go well with the snow suit I have ordered for that day!!

am bringing my slippers anything to keep warm
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hmmm, I'd go for either:

Knitted tank top

Aran cardigan

V neck jumper

Balaclava.

(That reminds me of a song)

Anytime anyplace anywhere
    There's a wonderful hat you can wear
    Try a tight one
    Look a right one
    Balaclava
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    That's the worst thing about a job of work - sodding shirt, sodding tie and sodding having to shave more than once in a sodding blue moon. Help, I'm turning into sodding blobby! :D
  • Bookworm55
    tsk- I dislike going for more than two days without shaving. In fact I rarely shave less often than five or six times a week.

And I like feeling smart in a nice shirt and tie. I'm clearly just strange.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I like wearing a good suit too not that I have much occasion to these days, I'd feel uncomfortably overdressed visiting most of my clients if I did. I don't really like the way I look totally clean shaven so I've usually got some sort of facial hair going on (currently I'm be-goateed).
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    CJC wrote: Β»
    I like wearing a good suit too not that I have much occasion to these days, I'd feel uncomfortably overdressed visiting most of my clients if I did. I don't really like the way I look totally clean shaven so I've usually got some sort of facial hair going on (currently I'm be-goateed).

Mmm I hate wearing a suit, but must also add i wouldnt wear anything else while in work mode. Having said that I am literally ripping my tie off as I walk out the doors towards my car....a bit like superman but without the costume and flying lol..

As for shaving, I draw the line at a clean shave...the gruff stays, regardless of who i work for lol, cant get rid of it.....i think of it as family!! :lol:
  • A-Vic
    LeeS2009 wrote: Β»
    Mmm I hate wearing a suit, but must also add i wouldnt wear anything else while in work mode. Having said that I am literally ripping my tie off as I walk out the doors towards my car....a bit like superman but without the costume and flying lol..

As for shaving, I draw the line at a clean shave...the gruff stays, regardless of who i work for lol, cant get rid of it.....i think of it as family!! :lol:

Now i pictured you been as soft as a babies bot lol
  • LeeS2009
    A-Vic wrote: Β»

yep...i can see where you would get that picture
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ

Smooth chest or hairy??? what is your preference Vic LOl
  • A-Vic
    Diannew wrote: Β»

Get it all off eweeee lol wax for us girls i say
  • LeeS2009
    Diannew wrote: Β»

My chest is smooth, not hairy....I dont like having a hairy chest.....but thats since i have been working a day job....didnt have a choice most of the time in my previous job, i was usually hairy and dirty and felt permanently grubby....lol
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Get it all off eweeee lol wax for us girls i say

I personally thinks it depends on the chest........some one who works out and has a great chest looks great waxed and smooth.....but hairy can be nice on certain people.....
Privacy Policy