The ECR Exam 30/11/2009

Comments

• dingaling
    dingaling Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    RRP wrote: »
    I really had NO idea when it came 2.3 on P and L.

Should it been Debit and Credits or what?? why were there two columns?? sooooo confused

Touch and go for me if I pass :-(

The far column should have your sales and the total cost of sales to be deducted. The other column is for showing the value of the opening stock etc. This is all unit 5 stuff tbh
  • catheriner3482
    catheriner3482 Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    mchll wrote: »
    Thank the lordy I wasn't the only one who found this question hard...I spent nearly 45 mins on it before abandoning it as a bad job :( Me's expecting a big a fail because of that one!

i feel just the same, i spent ages on it and still couldn't understand it! and still don't understand it! i just put some figures on each side depending on weather i thought they were debits or credits, hopefully some marks for making an effort!
  • pinoyLiz
    pinoyLiz Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
    I really had NO idea when it came 2.3 on P and L.

Should it been Debit and Credits or what?? why were there two columns?? sooooo confused

Touch and go for me if I pass :-(

Is the first column for computing the cost of sales? and the second is for the profit. I answered it with that format. I am hoping it''s correct
  • mchll
    mchll Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    FAC was -
    Sales - 144000
    COS - 12000x(4+3+2) = 108000
    Profit - 144000-108000 = 36000

MC was -
    Sales - 144000
    COS - 12000 x (4+3) = 84000
    Contribution - 144000-84000 = 60000
    fixed costs - 30000 (possibly 34000 not sure if you multiplied by 15000 production of 15000 + 2000 opening stock, for the account to balance it would have to be 17000*2per unit)
    Profit should have been 26000 (by my calculations 10K less than FAC profit as a result of 5000 closing stock a £2 overhead per unit)

Arrr this question is still annoying the hell out of me and it's 5 hours since the exam :(
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    i approached this question as a normal P&L (unit 5)

Sales would be your revenue 15000 units at selling price £12

Then you have your trading area

Opening stock
    Variable cost production (what usually are called purchases ie what is brought in)
    closing stock

Opening stock + variable cost - closing stock = cost of sales

Sales - cost of sales gives you your contribution (in normal P&L gross profit)

then you have to substract the fixed costs (expenses) to get your profit...

anyway that is how i did it
  • spursfan323
    spursfan323 Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Marga wrote: »
    i approached this question as a normal P&L (unit 5)

Sales would be your revenue 15000 units at selling price £12

Sorry, but 15,000 was amount PRODUCED, whereas only 12,000 items were sold.

Don't worry - I'm not smirking - I made a right hash of this question...
  • spursfan323
    mchll wrote: »
    FAC was -
    Sales - 144000
    COS - 12000x(4+3+2) = 108000
    Profit - 144000-108000 = 36000
    (

Can anyone confirm with certainty if this is correct?

It would be rather stupendous if it is (seeing as that's what I wrote even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing).
  • missy
    missy Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
    i did this question the same way as marga, 15000 units at selling pice £12
  • Marga
    Sorry, but 15,000 was amount PRODUCED, whereas only 12,000 items were sold.

Don't worry - I'm not smirking - I made a right hash of this question...

i thought about that before i did my numbers....however the sales of 12,000 units was what it was budgeted (ie forecasted) not ACTUAL production?

so you produce 15000 and just sell 12000 so you have a 3000 of closing stock not being able to sell?
  • mchll
    mchll Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    I'm not even claiming it's correct...MC doesn't balance to 26000...did you put 34000 as your fixed costs? (15000 production plus 2000 opening stock, 17000 x £2 overhead per unit) that is the only way I can seem to balance the equation in my head...but I can't see why the opening stock would be included in fixed production overheads :(
  • Marga
    well i am going to bed ... a well deserve rest is in order i may not have passed but i deserve my comfy bed if just for the revising i did :)

night all ...
  • backstreetboy
    backstreetboy Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    you wondeful people are actually making me think i may have got something here, your figures look familiar, i also worked out a closing stock (unsold) of 3000. Just annoyed i was asked that at all, horrible question..
  • pinoyLiz
    I've got my FAC wrong!! whoaahh I divided the fixed costs by 12,000 units
  • pinoyLiz
    what is the passing rate guys?
  • RRP
    RRP Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    I also recognise some of those numbers how ever I wrote everything in one long line as I had no idea what to put in what column!!

The other issue is I wrote sooooo many different numbers which I rubbed out and changed then rubbed out again (love those frixion pens) and changed again so I actually have no idea what I should or did put!!

Another question I have is what reason did you put to why the figures were different, my figures were all wrong but thought I should give this a go anyways.....you never know I may get a point or two lol!!

Another point I would like to mention is wasn't this a UNIT 6 exam people keep saying how they only knew this stuff because of UNIT 5.....well I start Unit 5 next year (after Xmas) so have done nothing and know nothing about that unit! if it is a question that you need Unit 5 knowledge of to understand then I think it is VERY unfair!!

Also I have looked in the Tutorial and Workbook and see nothing like it in there so how the hell can we revise for something not in out books? or am I just blind? :-(
  • catheriner3482
    catheriner3482 Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    I also recognise some of those numbers how ever I wrote everything in one long line as I had no idea what to put in what column!!

The other issue is I wrote sooooo many different numbers which I rubbed out and changed then rubbed out again (love those frixion pens) and changed again so I actually have no idea what I should or did put!!

Another question I have is what reason did you put to why the figures were different, my figures were all wrong but thought I should give this a go anyways.....you never know I may get a point or two lol!!

Another point I would like to mention is wasn't this a UNIT 6 exam people keep saying how they only knew this stuff because of UNIT 5.....well I start Unit 5 next year (after Xmas) so have done nothing and know nothing about that unit! if it is a question that you need Unit 5 knowledge of to understand then I think it is VERY unfair!!

Also I have looked in the Tutorial and Workbook and see nothing like it in there so how the hell can we revise for something not in out books? or am I just blind? :-(

i think it's from stuff we did in AAT level 2, but i can't really remember it!
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yeah did ECR ther and what a total nightmare. The number of trip me ups were a nightmare - if it was technician then fair enough but this isnt a professional qualification like ACCA or CIMA but I suppose thats the nature of the beast.

I too found most of the same questions difficult - I dont mind doing knew stuff in exams as to be fair its enevitable but they need to base it around what is available to us when revising; but it this way all revision courses in the main tend to revolve around past papers!

The net present cost was totally unexpected - I think I took the disposal of the cost for the last year so U assume that was right - someone said that a line was missing well I believe the second van had the capital and disposal on the same line at yr 1 and yr 5 or whatever the final yr was - but either way wat a strange question. That area should allow students to pick up easy marks but that has massive question marks over it.

The allocation apportionment was probably my best answered question but what the heck was that about with 25% being fixed and 75% being varible - again another trip me up and also that thing about 18million and 25 million being added I found a bit strange as the amount from the other department was no where near that amount to be allocated but I might be wrong there.

Either way its done and dusted. I for one will try not to think about it as in the past when I think I have past I fail and vice versa so I will till february and get on with these sims and hopefully I will get them passed - WELL I BLOODY HOPE SO!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone isnt stressing to much and good luck to everyone who has exams the rest of this week - I have unit 5 wednesday - please lord let me pass ;)

Martin
  • coolchan
    coolchan Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Ecr

I did not like section 2 at all. I think there was probably one bit in that I did ok on and the rest I just guessed it. Lol. Apart from that profit and loss account bit using marginal costing and aportionment. I did not have a clue about that bit. Hopefully I will get marks for my workings still where I could not get it to work. We shall have to see in February but I think it will be another resit for me :-(. Hopefully I will get it 3 time lucky.
  • daveg87
    daveg87 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Did any one else getting the limiting factor to have a profit of £40k? The fixed costs on it were something like 30780 weren't they? think the ranking was 2 1 3?

2.1 was a complete nightmare too!! Think i ended up with profits of 24K and 18K but sure did this wrong.

I got the group bonus % to be 8.75, looks like most people got this too :) Think I got the second part to be £460.90 wages for the week. anyone agree with this??

Did anyone else find the stock record using AVCO was slightly out by 1 on the final total and needed rounded up? Think I made the final cost per litre or kg whatever it was to be 40.024p?
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yep I got £40k profit on the limiting factors as well!!

Net present cost I got the first van as it was less expensive than the other van (if I remember!!!!!??). Luckily enough I sat a past paper on Sunday night and that also had an NPC rather than NPV so was lucky there!!!

To be honest as a home study bod it seems that perhaps this is the better way to go as you arent led down blind allys like it appears happens in the classroom and revision courses. Is this a fair call??
  • moorfield
    moorfield Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    monkeyrage wrote: »
    How did everybody find this? I hope people found it just as difficult as I did and AAT lower the pass rate!!

I nailed it, in 2hrs.

Sorry if that offends people, but I'm very very happy about that exam, just needed to let some steam off ....
  • pinoyLiz
    Yep I got £40k profit on the limiting factors as well!!

Net present cost I got the first van as it was less expensive than the other van (if I remember!!!!!??). Luckily enough I sat a past paper on Sunday night and that also had an NPC rather than NPV so was lucky there!!!

To be honest as a home study bod it seems that perhaps this is the better way to go as you arent led down blind allys like it appears happens in the classroom and revision courses. Is this a fair call??

You are lucky. I came acrossed that past paper as well but totally forgotten about it on the exam. Was not reading properly! grrr
  • StarS
    StarS Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    p&l

I was so confident about this exam until i saw the p&l questions. I spent more than an hour just looking at this one alone. i have no idea to figure out how much the opening and closing balance worth. 3 tasks... if i got them all wrong, i am dead failed.
    I hope i have done enough in other sections which i didn't find difficult, at least they seem all right to me so far.
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Ecr

That exam.. was bloody hard, it's not even fair, all the past papers are for 5 year olds, and then they put something random which nobody have ever seen before.

P+L what the hell.
    I messed up on everything.

When can I re-sit?
  • spursfan323
    moorfield wrote: »
    I nailed it, in 2hrs.

Sorry if that offends people, but I'm very very happy about that exam, just needed to let some steam off ....

Moorfield, you are a smug idiot. Do you want a pat on the back?

There is nothing admirable about coming in here and gloating how well you think you did, when others are worried that they made mistakes.
  • sjb958
    sjb958 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    dingaling can i just say that ur pretty dumb and you don't really know what you're talking about!

Regarding the abnormal gain question:

it was an abnormal gain of 40! the expected amout was 475 (500 x 5% loss) and we got an actual amount of 515. This is an unexpected gain of 40. (ie 40 more than 475 that was expected)

So the input of 500 and unexpected gain of 40 went on the left
    and the output of 515 and normal loss of 25 went on the right.

I think you should reread your books mate before you start slagging off other people
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi, i was meant to sit yesterday but couldnt for various reasons, my friend who did sit said that when calculating apportionment amounts between NBV and floor space that he could not get correct figures as the rounding of decimal places was out, did anyone else struggle with this or was it his error. he thinks he may have had his calculator in some sort of mode where it would not round up correctly!
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi, i was meant to sit yesterday but couldnt for various reasons, my friend who did sit said that when calculating apportionment amounts between NBV and floor space that he could not get correct figures as the rounding of decimal places was out, did anyone else struggle with this or was it his error. he thinks he may have had his calculator in some sort of mode where it would not round up correctly!

On the first thing that we had to apportion I ended up 3 out (couldn't get it right even with rounding) so I had to add 3 on to one of the numbers to get it to add up properly.
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    my mate is saying more or less the same he couldnt get the 3rd column which i think he said was rent apportioned by floor space any where near the total given, he tried various computations to get the right figures, maybe he had to round up/down i dont know. sounds like a tricky one by reading what you guys have been writing!!
  • Pav
    Pav Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    MWAUGH1983 wrote: »
    Yeah did ECR ther and what a total nightmare. The number of trip me ups were a nightmare - if it was technician then fair enough but this isnt a professional qualification like ACCA or CIMA but I suppose thats the nature of the beast.

I too found most of the same questions difficult - I dont mind doing knew stuff in exams as to be fair its enevitable but they need to base it around what is available to us when revising; but it this way all revision courses in the main tend to revolve around past papers!

The net present cost was totally unexpected - I think I took the disposal of the cost for the last year so U assume that was right - someone said that a line was missing well I believe the second van had the capital and disposal on the same line at yr 1 and yr 5 or whatever the final yr was - but either way wat a strange question. That area should allow students to pick up easy marks but that has massive question marks over it.

The allocation apportionment was probably my best answered question but what the heck was that about with 25% being fixed and 75% being varible - again another trip me up and also that thing about 18million and 25 million being added I found a bit strange as the amount from the other department was no where near that amount to be allocated but I might be wrong there.

Either way its done and dusted. I for one will try not to think about it as in the past when I think I have past I fail and vice versa so I will till february and get on with these sims and hopefully I will get them passed - WELL I BLOODY HOPE SO!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone isnt stressing to much and good luck to everyone who has exams the rest of this week - I have unit 5 wednesday - please lord let me pass ;)

Martin

Hi there,
    I was very confident at home about reapportionments untill i saw the exam. totally shocked. i think i did all apportionment right but the apportionment on Building insurance and maintenance costs i am not sure i used NBV basis. is this right or wrong. How did you do the apportionment on Building insurance. I did right 18m and 25m one. That was to be calculated 18/43 and 25/43 so you will get 41.86% and 58.14% of reapportion amounts. The good thing was my all figures are full no decimal points. I did NBC task totally wrong. I get stucked on bonuses task as well. But still hoping that i will pass.
Privacy Policy