Tax assistant

gvw121
gvw121 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi guys,

I am a newbie on this AAT website, and I was wondering if you guys could advise me on how to become a tax assistant. I am very interested in doing tax returns for self employed people and sole traders. I am currently in my final year of university studying accounting and finance, and im on route for a 2.1 providing I do well in my last 2 modules. Can somebody point me in the right direction of what would be the best qualification to go with either being ACCA, AAT, or anything else?

I would do ACCA but the only thing that puts me off if is the 3 years work experience plus the studying on the side, but that doesn't mean I have ruled it out. Im interested in taxation but sadly I didn't take any taxation modules as other students in my university warned me to stay clear of that module because it was difficult and could dent my chances of getting a 2.1

I would appreciate everyones advice now that I am coming to the end of university and need to choose a career path which is rewarding as well as enjoyable.

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    KPMG are taking on graduates this year & one of the areas is tax. There's a phone number on their website to contact their recruitment people on weekday lunchtimes, & an asessment test thing to help decide whether or not it's the right job for you. PWC are similar, but I wouldn't leave it too long - there might soon be alot of ex-E&Y employees looking for jobs :)
  • gvw121
    gvw121 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for your swift reply, but with KPMG recruiting for graduates they have a very difficult graduate scheme whereby the numeracy tests are hard. I saw my girl friend do the test and you have to do like so many questions in such a short space of time which she failed. I want to avoid the graduate schemes if possible, I know that sounds weird but I've had mates who have completed university who even advised me to avoid graduate schemes because of the rigorous tests involved
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    If you're sure tax is 'for you', have you looked at the ATT course?
  • shawn michaels
    shawn michaels Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    Try practising those "tests" . There are psychometric test books available, sample tests online from DHL. They are difficult and I failed so many but eventually passed one which led to a job after 2 job interviews. I think accuracy is far more important in those tests than how many you can answer (But I would make sure I answer at least 60% of the questions available. Using scientific calculators coupled with % calculations tricks, and fast mental arithmetic are a big help). If you want to become a tax assistant then you would have to do these tests to join a big firm, maybe try a smaller medium sized firm that dont use these tests or use an agency to get experience. Do the Inland Revenue have such jobs ? I dont know but it may be worth a look. Good luck with your degree.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi

If you want to get into tax work, a role in a public practice would be the usual route with study for ACCA, ICAEW, ATT or perhaps CTA/Chartered Institute of Taxation.

If you're put off from KPMG (or other big 4) try a mid tier firm. They often have graduate intakes but can be more flexible and apply less pressure but still have good training provision.

Neil
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    was just looking at the kpmg web site and would i be right in thinking they also have an experienced route not just graduate in recruitment ?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    gvw121 wrote: ยป
    Hi guys,

I

I would do ACCA but the only thing that puts me off if is the 3 years work experience

Believe me you would need 3 years relevant work experience at least before you could tackle all but the simplest tax returns.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ATT possibly alongside ACCA for a Tax Assistant then if you want to progress to a managerial role CTA/CIOT
Privacy Policy