Sage Instant Year End problem

Hollysan
Hollysan Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
I have been doing bookkeeping for a client, learning Sage as I go. Year end was Jan, so I went through the Year End procedures as described in client's Sage book ( I haven't had to do this before) and since then working on accounts. In the meantime the client has taken over the bookkeeping, entering transactions, mostly bank payments, for Feb and Mar.

Met client today to see how it's going, and kept getting warning boxes that transactions (suppliers paid in April, customers paying etc) were 'outside the period'. On checking, accounting period is still start date Feb 09, so presumably the year ending Jan 10 has not been closed down?

Can anyone help with what to do now? We haven't done any bank recs for Feb or Mar, but the VAT is due so need to find a solution fast!

Thanks for any help or advice...

Hollysan

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Did you run the actual year end procedure? I.e. Tools -> Period end -> Year end?
  • Hollysan
    Hollysan Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yes, I did! That's why I don't understand what has happened. Any idead?

Thanks for replying...

Hollysan
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    have they changed there t/c codes before running the year end? if so once the year end has been run it resets to the default codes and then the nightmare begins - that was me yesterday
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Or is there any chance they restored old data in an attempt to correct an error to a backup from before you did year end?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If you know the opening position then it's probably easiest to clear down sage manually and journal in the correct opening balances..
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    If it's giving you messages about being outside the financial year, make sure you check the actual start date, Settings > Financial Year.

Check the audit trail for journals with 'Ledger Year End' in the details on the YE date...if they're missing, you didn't run the YE process all the way through.

Also check the data for data corruption - File > Maint.> Checkdata...any errors = very bad.

On a side note, the program doesn't reset tax codes after a year end...regardless of which version you're using...so don't worry about that.
  • A-Vic
    Kecak wrote: »

On a side note, the program doesn't reset tax codes after a year end...regardless of which version you're using...so don't worry about that.

yes it does if you have changed them it reverts back to default codes
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Nominal codes

Hi

My copy of Sage 50 doesn't reset codes after the year end procedure. I've just checked and all changes remain.

Regards
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    A-Vic wrote: »
    yes it does if you have changed them it reverts back to default codes

I've just set myself up with a company in versions 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16, changed the tax codes through the configuration editor, also changed the default codes on some test customer+supplier+product records, and run a year end in each of them and it didn't change any of them.

Which default codes are you referring to? Are there some others I'm not aware of?
  • A-Vic
    Kecak wrote: »
    I've just set myself up with a company in versions 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16, changed the tax codes through the configuration editor, also changed the default codes on some test customer+supplier+product records, and run a year end in each of them and it didn't change any of them.

Which default codes are you referring to? Are there some others I'm not aware of?

well your lucky then am using version 16 and it just did
Privacy Policy