Travelling to work

loralu
loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor โญ
How many miles do you travel to work?
How long does it take?
How do you make the journey? (car, walk, train etc..)

I currently have a 12 mile drive, takes 15/20 minutes.

Going for a job interview which is 37 miles away and will take an hour, maybe longer in the morning traffic, not sure how i would find this every day!

Comments

• Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi

I have a 2 mile journey, which by car takes 5 minutes and if its really nice I will walk it and that takes me 20 minutes. So I am quite lucky. And my office is in a barn coversion surrounded by fields.

Jennie
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I travel to work by tube and it takes me about 1hr 10/15 mins usually. I'm lucky that at both sides of my journey I'm not far from the station.

I often read my study books on the way to work and a regular book on the way back. The journey can be tough going, especially if the tubes have delays or are extra busy.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I work from home, quite often I start work on my laptop before I get out of bed. Otherwise it's about 10 seconds to walk to my office.
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I'm jealous of the answers so far with where you work!

At home and in a barn conversion? I'm jealous as I listen to the sound of traffic in Central London! Then I go out for a walk at lunch and have to try and avoid all the tourists taking their time!

Can you tell I don't enjoy the location where I work?!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i work over the road from my house, which is about 39 steps. i love the location but as it is out of the barracks. we do get left out of the loop on a lot of things, we also get out of all the meetings and inspections, which is a good side of it

Tracy
  • acc1077
    acc1077 Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I work about 19miles from home taking appox 30mins on a good day
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    loralu wrote: ยป
    How many miles do you travel to work?
    How long does it take?
    How do you make the journey? (car, walk, train etc..)

I currently have a 12 mile drive, takes 15/20 minutes.

Going for a job interview which is 37 miles away and will take an hour, maybe longer in the morning traffic, not sure how i would find this every day!

I have a similar "commute" to you, from a village to a small town, so no traffic problems. I did consider a job in a large town a couple of years ago, but with parking costs and the price of fuel decided I would be worse off financially. You might want to bear that in mind too.
    This is the longest I have ever had to travel, as previously worked in the same market town that I lived in, so within walking distance (less than a couple of miles), although most days went in the car!

PS Lou, I don't envy you! Love London in short bursts, but go up a gear when in the big city, so I won't be a dawdling tourist! I really do appreaciate where I live, not called God's own county for nothing.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Around ten miles but I both live near and work reasonably near train stations so about half an hour door to door.

Distance is an issue for some employers since if your car was to break down, how else could you expect to get to work and do a reasonable days graft? Contingency planning for a near 40 mile trip can't nearly be as accurate as a trip for a quarter of that distance and there are so many more variables such as sudden traffic jams, possible lack of or no public transport, the time taken to get there and the effect it might have on you if you're seriously delayed, the cost of you not being there and someone else having to cover you etc...
  • loralu
    loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor โญ
    Distance is an issue for some employers since if your car was to break down, how else could you expect to get to work and do a reasonable days graft? Contingency planning for a near 40 mile trip can't nearly be as accurate as a trip for a quarter of that distance and there are so many more variables such as sudden traffic jams, possible lack of or no public transport, the time taken to get there and the effect it might have on you if you're seriously delayed, the cost of you not being there and someone else having to cover you etc...

you make some good points there. i think i will have to weigh up how good the job is compared to travelling (if i even get the job!)

thanks to everyone who replied! i used to live two minutes walk away and that was good, went home for lunch everyday but now i usually just sit at my desk!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i travel 5 minutes... but i would take any job within 30 minutes drive ???which would cover a lot of area......
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i walk it to work hour round trip - like mark would consider 30 mile radius or even relocating to find the ideal job
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    i walk it to work hour round trip - like mark would consider 30 mile radius or even relocating to find the ideal job

yeh .....bring it on !!!!!!
  • DanBol
    DanBol Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    27 miles a day
    Takes about 30 minutes
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    14(ish) mile round trip.

Takes me 10 mins to get into work in the morning, i go by car.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    5 miles, 10 minutes drive.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Used to be from Clacton-on-sea to Dagenham (140 miles and 3 hours roundtrip), had to leave for work 6.15 to be in for 8.... but now moved in with my girlfriend.....Now leave for work at 7.40 in by 7.50 !!!
    RESULT !!!
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    How many miles do you travel to work? 17.6 Miles....
    How long does it take? anything from 20Mins to 1Hr 30
    How do you make the journey? (car, walk, train etc..) Car...

Generally leave between 7.30 and 8 other wise traffic is very bad and take around 45mins....hate going towards london in the morning.

just moved house now so think the journy will be a little longer... monday will be the test..
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    5/6 miles....drive usually takes 30 mins
    Aahhh Bristol traffic
    p.s i would walk but its a huge hill and i dont think i would make it back up at the end of the day!!
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I drive 5 miles to work through residential area and it normally takes 20 to 25 minutes in (Hastings area...(where apparently we dont need a bypass..... but might get a link road if lucky.))
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Yazi wrote: ยป
    I drive 5 miles to work through residential area and it normally takes 20 to 25 minutes in (Hastings area...(where apparently we dont need a bypass..... but might get a link road if lucky.))

not from Bexhill are you?

I work in St leonards so about a ten minute trip...about five miles each way.
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Yep!!!

But not 10 minutes in the morning.....:(
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    haha, nope, bexhill to hastings is awful!
Privacy Policy