Eraser Pens

miskysbabe
miskysbabe Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor โญ
I keep hearing different things, can anyone clarify?

I hear tippex is banned, but I don't know about using eraser pens in the exam?
I like to use Pilot Frixion eraser pens - I highly recommend they are great. :-)
ยซ1

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yep confirmed today they are not allowed - was told at manchester applied exam techniques course
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    A-vic is right
    Don't use them
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Can you use them for workings cause I tend to write something then realise its wrong and need to rub it out. If this is banned I think its crazy cause if you have stuff crossed out all over the place it just confuses you (well it does me anyway)
  • A-Vic
    as we were told we wouldnt receive and credit for questions with tippex the same is for rub out pens so personally i would do workings in pen just in case you go wrong on your answer remember you do pick up credit for workings
  • jewels.p
    Hey Vic,

No I meant when you first start working out and realise its wrong and need to change it there is gonna be a right mess on my working paper anyway as I always need to change my workings
  • A-Vic
    Hey Vic,

No I meant when you first start working out and realise its wrong and need to change it there is gonna be a right mess on my working paper anyway as I always need to change my workings

I suppose you could but then would you write over them in pen?
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hey Vic,

i always do everything in pencil, then at the end or when im sure its right go over in pen and rub out the pencil. If i didnt my paper would be a right mess.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I just make a mess of my paper and hope that who ever checks it, understand that workings are there to be messy!
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    I just make a mess of my paper and hope that who ever checks it, understand that workings are there to be messy!

lol, you aint seen my version of mess. Since I left high school I have handwritten in Capital letters only. At least that way my handwriting is legiable if not the neatest. :)
  • jewels.p
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    i always do everything in pencil, then at the end or when im sure its right go over in pen and rub out the pencil. If i didnt my paper would be a right mess.

I was only gonna do it with the workings not in the answer part cause in my FRA Exam I did the whole thing in Pencil and then went back to write over it in Pen and the Pen wouldnt work over the pencil so I got in a panic and ran out of time for checking my answers.............still passed though so that was a relief!
  • jewels.p
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    I suppose you could but then would you write over them in pen?

Yes thats what I was thinking of doing. Just my workings though not my answers
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    If you decide to go further you will not get time in most other exams to write your answers twice so it might be worth learning to get your workings in neatly first time.

Good luck to all in upcoming exams
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Please put yourself through some tough past papers (ideally time pressured ones) and see if you really are so quick that you can write things out in pencil and have the time to go back and write over in ink.
    I certainly won't recommend this "writing-it-twice" approach

Very often students who breezed through foundation (and could have done an exam 2 and a half times as long) have got into the habit of not feeling a time pressure. I would also expect there are some very good technician students who similarly don't find a time pressure.

But before going into the exam intending to effectively write your answers out twice, make absolutely sure that you are someone who can complete 3 hour exams in under 2 and a half hours, otherwise you could end up making mistakes by rushing.
    Presentation is important as a hard to read paper is hard to mark, but you must get the answers or have a clear set of workings to get the marks. A beautifully presented paper that only answers 3/4 of the questions might not be enough to pass. Something with clear crossings out and logically developed answers to the whole paper may not look as good but may pass.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    If you decide to go further you will not get time in most other exams to write your answers twice so it might be worth learning to get your workings in neatly first time.

Good luck to all in upcoming exams

Annette's point is extremely valid for those of you planning to study ACCA. In ACCA studies tutors will always drum home the importance of time allocation. In AAT exams you are given an advisory time limit (e.g. 'you should spend 55 minutes on this section'). In ACCA exams you have to calculate it for yourself whichis 1.8 minutes for every mark available.

However, ACCA exams are usually so time pressured that you will almost certainly not have the time to write your paper out twice.

Kind regards
    steve
  • Brumi
    Brumi Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor โญ
    So does this mean we cant use tipex or eraser pens.
  • A-Vic
    yes they are not allowed
  • Brumi
    Brumi Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor โญ
    thanks - means more practice but hay hoe its all part of life
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I used plenty of tipex in my last June exams....and there was not problems...

also in my simulations I still use it a lot
  • jewels.p
    I used plenty of tipex in my last June exams....and there was not problems...

also in my simulations I still use it a lot

It is only since the last exams it has been banned I got an email from AAT and my Tutor informing me.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    We get blank pages in the exam for workings anyway; so can we just use those for the 'messy' bits???

That's it I'll have to sell my shares in Tippex!!! :lol:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    It is only since the last exams it has been banned I got an email from AAT and my Tutor informing me.

Really??!? I didn't receive anything about that!
  • Terdoo
    Terdoo Registered Posts: 144 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Re Eraseable pen/tippex

I did not receive any letter from AAT given warning about erasable pen.
  • jewels.p

Maybe it was by email. I cant remember now but I defo got either letter or email.

I dont know but maybe it is because I am Distance Learning and amnt in class to be told about these things.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I am distance learning too and I havent had an email or a letter?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm distance learning too and didn't receive anything.

Maybe Jewels asked about it at some point or it's because she is in the social group about eraser pens?
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I just checked my e-mails and I received an e-mail from Premier Training who I'm with confirming that you can no longer use correction fluid. This is what it said:

2. Use of tippex and pencils in assessments.

With immediate effect, students will no longer be alowed to use correction fluid in AAT assessments. This includes exams and AAT simulations. Students must complete all answers , including workings in pen rather than pencil. The AAT states that these measures are being introduced to cut down on malpractice
  • meibaker
    meibaker Registered Posts: 481 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I just checked my e-mails and I received an e-mail from Premier Training who I'm with confirming that you can no longer use correction fluid. This is what it said:

2. Use of tippex and pencils in assessments.

With immediate effect, students will no longer be alowed to use correction fluid in AAT assessments. This includes exams and AAT simulations. Students must complete all answers , including workings in pen rather than pencil. The AAT states that these measures are being introduced to cut down on malpractice

i am with premier training, but i haven't received anything email....
    but thanks for letting us know!
  • jow774
    Ive just looked at my June 2010 exam details and it says:-
    You may not:
    use correcting fluid
    write in pencil

But it doesnt say anything about erasable pens????

Also I was hopin to do it in pencil first and then rub it out and go over in pen but it looks like this is out too?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    Ive just looked at my June 2010 exam details and it says:-
    You may not:
    use correcting fluid
    write in pencil

But it doesnt say anything about erasable pens????

Also I was hopin to do it in pencil first and then rub it out and go over in pen but it looks like this is out too?

IT DOES SAY PERMANENT INK - SEE BELOW:

Photographic proof of identity is compulsory for all candidates at AAT exams
    You must present valid, photographic proof of identity to the exam supervisor. Acceptable documents for this purpose are your:

passport
    driving licence (if it includes a photograph)
    national identity card. In countries where there is a national identity card, only that or some other form of government-issued photo ID will be accepted.
    UK citizen card (www.citizencard.com)
    Before the exam
    Make sure that you:

know how to get to the exam venue shown above before your first exam
    arrive at the venue at least 15 minutes before the start time shown above (late-comers will be admitted only at the discretion of the Supervisor)
    bring with you a ruler, pens, and a calculator; your pen must use permanent ink, preferably black
    your calculator should be silent and must NOT:
    be programmable
    have printout facilities
    be able to store or display text
    During the exam

each desk in the hall will be numbered and you MUST sit at the correct desk
    this docket must be available to the Supervisor at all times for checking.
    You may not:

use correcting fluid
    write in pencil
    leave the room during the first half hour
    smoke during the assessment
    speak to, help, or try to help, another candidate
    obtain, or try to obtain, help from another candidate
    take into the room, or possess whilst in that room, any books, notes or other material
    leave the room without permission (except in case of fire or other emergency)
    use a mobile phone. Phones must be switched off and out of sight during the exams
    take books or notes into the exam hall. If you have any books or notes with you, you must give them to the Supervisor before the start of the exam.
    Failure to comply with any of the above instructions may constitute malpractice. The Supervisor can stop the exam of a candidate suspected of malpractice and expel him/her from the room.

Any malpractice will be reported to the AAT and will be investigated. If you're found guilty a range of penalties could be imposed. These include withdrawal of your student registration and the relevant exam result being declared null and void.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • jow774
    Oh I see, silly me, I must read the whole thing.
Privacy Policy