Studies after AAT

seallen1979
seallen1979 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hello, after hopefully passing Technician exams, does anyone have any advice about going on to study ACCA or CIMA? I think my tutors may have a slightly bias view, as do my work colleagues. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i am going to do cima, i am going to register in january, but i am going to buy the books before that and prepare a bit for it.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Im also hopefully going to do CIMA but not until next year as i want to concentrate on work and getting a bit more knowledge and experience so when i start it i will have a little idea what they are going on about...
  • Daniel86
    Daniel86 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I passed technician in February, I'm in th emiddle of registering for ACCA as it gives you th option to work for yourself which is a goal of mine eventually years down the line!!

which one are they bias towards ACCA or CIMA,

I was advised to do CIMA as i work in industry, My friend has just done her first set of CIMA exams and said its business related as well as financial. mrketing etc, which i have no interest in.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I passed technician in February, I'm in th emiddle of registering for ACCA as it gives you th option to work for yourself which is a goal of mine eventually years down the line!!

which one are they bias towards ACCA or CIMA,

I was advised to do CIMA as i work in industry, My friend has just done her first set of CIMA exams and said its business related as well as financial. mrketing etc, which i have no interest in.

Dan,

Im doing CIMA, and without some commercial knowledge you wont get through the papers! They expect you to have knowledge of whats going on in the business world, I dont understand what you mean by saying you are not interested in a 'business related' qualification?

Paul
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    At the risk of sounding stupid, could you possibly use CIMA later down the line to work for yourself ?
    I know that it is primarily an industry based qualification, but just wondering if you could use the knowledge in some way working for yourself ?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Yes you could, you could be an advisor, an interim solution, help with business start ups, sales of businesses, a strategic advisor, cost planning and management, the possibilities are seemingly endless as long as your interested in business :-)
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Also you can still produce stat accounts at the end of the day cima still teachs you the skills, just not in as much detail as ACCA and you can't sign them off as audited.

And as the BPP advisor reminded me after finishing CIMA you can always do top up exams to get fellow membership with ACCA, enabling you to audit.
  • Daniel86
    Daniel86 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi Paul,

I just mean for me who is not looking to be a management accountant I decided to go the ACCA route. because you learn to audit accounts which is something I want to learn, And as ACCA you also learn management accounts as well.

Eventually when i can get the opportunity to work in practice that is what i want to do.

don't get me wrong I think CIMA is an awesome qualifaction and the possibilites are endless in management positions.

I may be talking complete and utter nonsense but I am going on from what people have told me.

ACCA is more financial and CIMA is more pushing a business forward.

If you could explain to me then that would be helpful!!!

cheers

Dan
Privacy Policy