Interview

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I went for an interview at an accounting firm this week and I have been asked to go for a second one. This hasn't happened so far and am quite excited. Nothing has yet been mentioned about study support. Do you think I should ask about this in the interview as I think it might look good that I'm keen to study at my age?
ยซ1

Comments

• snowmarauder
    snowmarauder Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor โญ
    Good one, that happened to me and I got the job, yipee, check out there web site and see if they support cpd, if it doesnt say. When they say do you have any ques, just ask 'what is your policy on cpd' if they say what is cpd, then you know they dont know what you are on about, so rephrase and ask, cont. prof. dev. if they look at you gone out. then rephrase again and say i would like to continue with my education, what is the companies policy on suppot of this? I forgot to ask exactly what my companies policy was, prob, as I they do have a cpd policy and forgot to ask exactly how it worked. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD VIBES COMING FROM ME TO YOU, pass the vibe xx
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Depending on how much you value the study support as part of the role which the degree of practical experience would be valuable anyway. I would simply just ask 'if there would be study support on offer with the package to help with the completion of the AAT and further studies should that be appropriate'.

Most practices would want you to develop so can't see it being a problem.

Well done and best of luck for the second interview.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Glynis
    I have just realised that the letter says I will need to do a test. OMG does anyone know what this would involve? I am panicking like hell now.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    I have just realised that the letter says I will need to do a test. OMG does anyone know what this would involve? I am panicking like hell now.

Thats great news! glad things are on the up. You didn't say what the role involved (and i haven't been asked to do a test) so am just guessing but i guess it will be linked to the job role so could include bank rec, trial balance, financial statements etc but maybe just short versions or certain aspects (DFS Stylee). or it could involve situations involving ethics.
    oh i did have to do a test when i applied to work in a bank, it was about adding up and features on cheques and notes
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thats great news! glad things are on the up. You didn't say what the role involved (and i haven't been asked to do a test) so am just guessing but i guess it will be linked to the job role so could include bank rec, trial balance, financial statements etc but maybe just short versions or certain aspects (DFS Stylee). or it could involve situations involving ethics.
    oh i did have to do a test when i applied to work in a bank, it was about adding up and features on cheques and notes

Similar to the test at my second interview, I needed to calculate an ETB and do some journal entries.

Good luck Glynis i'm sure you'll do brilliant :)
  • Glynis
    OMG I hope I don't get asked to do an ETB. It's for an assistant auditor and it's tomorrow I definately won't sleep tonight.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    OMG I hope I don't get asked to do an ETB. It's for an assistant auditor and it's tomorrow I definately won't sleep tonight.

maybe some sampling or something then?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Or psychometric tests?
  • Glynis
    Or psychometric tests?

What is one of them? OMG I can't cope with this:(
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Good luck with the second interview. :)
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Another thread?! Really??
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    How did the interview go Glynis?
  • AK002
    I'm sure I heard an increased number of companies now utilising lie detectors in Interviews, did they do that?
  • Glynis
    It didn't go well:( I was asked to draft some journals to dispose of a fixed asset and I couldn't think of the entries and was also asked to calculate some profit percentages which I think went ok. The girl that interviewed me was a partner but looked very young. They said I would find out either today or tomorrow.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Good luck.
  • Rachey
    It didn't go well:( I was asked to draft some journals to dispose of a fixed asset and I couldn't think of the entries and was also asked to calculate some profit percentages which I think went ok. The girl that interviewed me was a partner but looked very young. They said I would find out either today or tomorrow.

Young people are allowed to be partners you know!!
  • AK002

You come across very ageist on here... it's beginning to get a bit boring...
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Best of luck glynis
  • burg
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    Young people are allowed to be partners you know!!

Must agree. I'm only 24 and run my own practice.
    Regards,

Burg
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    good luck

good luck.

Hope you get that job.

Regards,

MSB
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    burg wrote: ยป
    Must agree. I'm only 24 and run my own practice.

Im 30 years old, Ian, can I do some work for you?

I promise I won't mind that you are younger! :001_tt2:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'm a partner and I'm 30 (and I started this business when I was 24). Our oldest employee is over retirement age. We don't care about age in this office.
  • Rinske
    Got a job for me then? :D

*hint hint*
  • burg
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Im 30 years old, Ian, can I do some work for you?

I promise I won't mind that you are younger! :001_tt2:

Just taken on someone actually so you are a little late!

They are older though at around 40 so hope they don't take offence that I'm younger!!!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't think anybody else has a problem with age!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I don't think anybody else has a problem with age!

I think the problem with age is you get jealous and wish you'd have been whatever level at that age! :D
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It didn't go well:( I was asked to draft some journals to dispose of a fixed asset and I couldn't think of the entries... The girl that interviewed me was a partner but looked very young...

This is comedy genius.

Witty opener, leading on to a set up for the next instalment to keep us gripped to our seats. Really looking forward to the punchline when you don't get the job and give us your interpretation of why they were in the wrong for not employing you.

Can't wait for the next episode of the Glynis show.
  • Rinske
    burg wrote: ยป
    Just taken on someone actually so you are a little late!

They are older though at around 40 so hope they don't take offence that I'm younger!!!
    I might live a bit far away anyways! It's nice that you actually let me know though, I was only half serious.

It's nice to know you are doing so well though!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Drafting journal entries to dispose of a fixed asset is - let's be honest about it - pretty basic stuff and should be second nature to someone with years of accounts experience.

I can't understand why Glynis - who has seemingly struggled with and hated audit every step of the way - is still so obsessed with becoming an auditor. You wouldn't become a lion tamer if you had a fear of cats, would you?
  • Rachey
    So how'd it go?
Privacy Policy