D-Day The Spending Review

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
well its d day wonder how the heck this government is going to save 83 billion over the next 4 years.

Personaly from bits that have been released already the public sector will be worst hit and could put this country in too a double dip restion like back in the 1920's

Let us know your thoughts as details are released?

Comments

• A-Vic
    490,000 public sector jobs to go
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    They said they'll stop paying my salary and then they'll only need to cut back ยฃ33 bil.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    we have been told all of the bases out here are drawing down over the next 4 years - so best i buy a house, along with the thousands of soldiers and their families over here :(

Tracy
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    They could make local authorities justify every penny spent of their council tax budgets and expenditure. In recent years, my local council - Adur: you shameless ba5tards - have block paved big roundabouts in the middle of nowhere and entire stretches of pavement that see very little pedestrian use. Tens of thousands wasted in budget burns.

The country's gone to so much ruin over the last ten years with so many core industries leaving the shores for more profitable climates, that I don't think we can expect some things to ever be the same again. If we restricted access to sixth forms and uni's and restored their former eliteness, we could easily be looking at a dole queue of four, five or six million. How the hell do you employ that many people when jobs are dwindling?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Our local Council promised the area loads of new jobs by building a Hotel, a Garden Centre and Restaurant on the outskirts of town. 5 years on there is no Hotel, no Garden Centre and no Restaurant BUT a massive new Council Building for all the big wigs with Chandeliers in the Reception and all top quality fittings. No jobs have been created but they are sitting pretty. They even have a Scotland Flag flying outside that cost several thousand pounds of our money!

Every year the Councillors go on a trip to China supposedly to help local businesses but as far as I am aware there are no local companies who have got anything out of it. I was on one of the trips to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong about 10 years ago (paid for by the company not the Council) and our company got no business. I even heard the councillors say (when on a trip to the Great Wall) "just put down the expenses as research" WHAAAAAAAT?

Makes me mad even thinking about how much money is wasted at our local council.

OK Rant Over
  • Jay1981
    Jay1981 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor โญ
    The thing that confuses me the most is the child benefit cut for higher rate tax earners.

My Brother is a Chartered accountant earning around ยฃ40k, his wife is a teacher earning around ยฃ30k, they have 2 children and will get child benefit.
    His best friend is a Financial director of a small/medium sized company and earns ยฃ55k, his wife stays at home to raise their 3 children, they won't be entitled to anything.
    I just can't accept that as fair.
  • jewels.p
    Yeah I agree on that. Why have they put it as each parent's salary has to be below a certain amount (cant remember what) instead of combined it is crazy!
  • blobbyh
    You would have imagined they'd have seen it coming wouldn't you? But then Labour didn't seem to see the 2008 10p tax rate timebomb before it went off, so politicians should never surprise us with their stupidity.

I guess keeping it for working couples is maybe trying to encourage more stay at home people - those in relationships that is - to go back to work and contribute to the tax coffers to ease the financial burden suffered by all workers. I'm not saying it's right or fair, but looking at it like that, it does make a distorted kind of sense plus it's hard to come up with something that would please everyone. Those that work and pay taxes typically want those that don't to somehow contribute or lose their benefits, no matter how entitled they are - or not - to them. Yet, were we placed in a non-work situation, we'd want those same tax payers to help us out regardless of our previously held views. It's always a no-win situation for the other side.
  • A-Vic
    you know one thing thats ticks me off about any budgets you always here about help for families and pensioners but what about low income people who run a house on there own yes we get 25% council tax deduction but if you on 13400 per year thats all your entilied too.

Dont get me wrong i dont want a hand out but come on families arnt the only persons running a house on a limited income.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    the spending review just sounds quite long to me.. and judging by what happened to the euro after, not much help. i don't claim anything so don't get affected by the cuts and feel i will only personally feel it when i either get ill or need the emergency services who could well be on strike when i need them anyway.
    but at work where we buy euros frequently we just end up watching it drop dramaically after having it get to a more respectible rate just because someone opens their mouth to say something.

what really annoys me in life though (apart from people claiming for things they shouldnt) is when people in employment go on strike because they aren't getting a pay rise. just be happy you have a job in the recession
  • A-Vic
    thats the sad fact about the spending review it will affect us all working or not ill or not.

The way i see it is jobs have been lost reducing income from tax payers, those who lost their job will spend less a lot less therefore businesses will lose out through lost revenue, less homes will be bought and debt will increase.

Then there is the VAT increase looming 2.5% doesnt seem a lot but it will mean price increases again people spending less and bying less white goods, fuel increasing, food prices increasing yet more businesses will lose revenue again meaning a number of SME's will more than likely go under in the next 12 months. Unless the government keep to there promise and increase help for the SME's.

And finally with the cuts, the loss in spending, unemployment rises, businesses closing and the double dip looming there will be a drepresstion like the one in the 1920's.

Sorry full of a cold still and looks a little bleak, but thats the facts as i see them
  • blobbyh
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Dont get me wrong i dont want a hand out but come on families arnt the only persons running a house on a limited income.

Fully agree with you on that one Vic. When I came back from Brum a few years ago, I had to sleep on my Dad's floor for months as the state wouldn't help me out. I still live on my own, pay my maintenance, pay full rent, everything. I get no benefits, no support when things are tight and no representation. Okay so I get 25% council tax reduction but living in the greediest bastard council in England doesn't help either. I get sick of hearing more support for single parent families, pensioners, allegedly disadvantaged minorities, everyone who doesn't seem to be paying anything into the system but taking full advantage of it.

A single guy who's fallen on hard times but paid taxes for years gets no help. A teenage mother who's never paid a penny into the system gets all the help in the world with endless support groups. My kids know one or two young serial mothers who just keep on having more kids so they can claim more and more benefits - there's no way they can ever afford to go back to work and receive the same "income".
  • jewels.p
    I totally agree with Blobby and Vic on this. There are a lot of single parents in my area who keep having more kids by anyone that will give them one (a kid I mean) just to get more in benefits.
    We have a single parent who has been off on long term sick with supposed stress and as she is a single parent she gets all the benefits, rent paid, the lot but if it was me (not a single parent) I would get nothing. She will not be in a hurry to get back to work as she is better off at home, going shopping, meeting men on the internet, nights out etc. Full of s*** (yes I am bitter about it)
    I was watching the news the other night and they were in Rochdale which is apparently the benefits capital in Britain and 85% of the people in one housing estate are on benefits. They interviewed one guy who said that he wouldn't be able to keep up his standard of living if they stop his benefits. GET A LIFE!

My auntie lives in America and she said instead of getting cash handouts they give them food tokens that sounds like a better idea and that way they cant spend the money WE pay them on drink, drugs or whatever else.
  • A-Vic
    I was watching the news the other night and they were in Rochdale which is apparently the benefits capital in Britain and 85% of the people in one housing estate are on benefits. They interviewed one guy who said that he wouldn't be able to keep up his standard of living if they stop his benefits. GET A LIFE!

the one thing i will say to this though jewels and not defending that said person but i live there, there is zero jobs and i mean zero, and unfortunatley now with 4 factories cloing in the last year (including one of the biggest in the north west in the last 2 months) it feels like i am the only person working (thank gawd i am though).

i would just like to see our government instead of just making cuts also increase peoples chances of getting back into work.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    what really annoys me in life though is when people in employment go on strike because they aren't getting a pay rise. just be happy you have a job in the recession

Completely agree with you there!
  • jewels.p
    Sorry for using Rochdale as an example Vic but my point was a lot of people claiming benefits won't even look for work whether there are jobs or not.

I totally sympathise with those people that do want to work but there are many who have never any intention of working.

That guy that got interviewed never even mentioned looking for work he just said that he would have no money if they stopped his benefits. And to be honest you can tell who on benefits wants to work and who doesn't and he certainly didn't.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I really think there should be a higher amount paid for a given period after losing your job!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yeah, it's those paupers they're the ones to blame for the economic mess. Kill them, kill them all. And their brats.
  • A-Vic
    PGM wrote: ยป
    I really think there should be a higher amount paid for a given period after losing your job!

and to cheer you all up even more the money used for back to work training has also been slashed so the none work shy lazy persons who do want a job are on there own.

Wow am a happy person :lol:
  • blobbyh
    i would just like to see our government instead of just making cuts also increase peoples chances of getting back into work.

Easier said than done and while a government can give grants for entrepreneurship, it's a different matter getting people to actually reinvest back into Britian. And why would you? A decade of increasingly ludicrous health and safety laws, pushing maternity rights and other salary burdens onto already stretched employers, pay rises whether people deserve them or not, reduced nationalism and sense of identity, the now long redundant "British is Best" motto, all mean it's less hassle and more profitable to make your stuff abroad and just import it into the UK. One of my old employers - a kitchen manufacturer - used to make all its own products in the UK but laid off all its skilled workmen in 2006/7 and now just imports from Malaysia.

I'd have liked to have seen Woolworths saved, along with the 27,000 or so jobs that were lost. If they can plough ยฃ500bn into saving reckless banks, you'd have thought they could have found the ยฃ400m needed to save a much loved (and missed) brand and got it to reshape its business model for the future. And we all know how much I fooking hate Tesco for re-employing the same people they made redundant from the shops they forced to close on minimum wages...
  • A-Vic
    I'd have liked to have seen Woolworths saved, along with the 27,000 or so jobs that were lost. If they can plough ยฃ500bn into saving reckless banks, you'd have thought they could have found the ยฃ400m needed to save a much loved (and missed) brand and got it to reshape its business model for the future. And we all know how much I fooking hate Tesco for re-employing the same people they made redundant from the shops they forced to close on minimum wages...

well we are now under a consevative government it can only get worse
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well we are now under a consevative government it can only get worse

And counties like China are pumping huge amounts of cash into their infrastructure, what chance will a small country like England have in the Global market in years to come?!
  • A-Vic
    PGM wrote: ยป
    And counties like China are pumping huge amounts of cash into their infrastructure, what chance will a small country like England have in the Global market in years to come?!

From what ive watched and looked at in the papers its India and Vietnam to watch out for. They manufator and export a heck of a lot more then we could ever dream and are comming up world leaders at this
Privacy Policy