Long-Term Sick

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Wondered if someone on here could advise me on something. We have a lady that has been off on long-term sick. Her SSP ran out last week and she has come on saying that we have to send her current sick note to the HMRC. We dont understand this as we thought it is the Benefits people that deal with her now.

Is she trying to get a tax rebate or why would HMRC need it?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I would complete an SSP1 form for her. If her sick note has any remaining time left I would take a photocopy for my records and return the original to her with the SSP1 form. She can then go on to contact the benefit agency/HMRC herself.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Pretty much as per the previous reply although you maybe should have done it earlier?

see here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/spmmanual/spm10855.htm
    Regards,

Burg
  • jewels.p
    I had already sent the form for her to claim benefits before her sick pay ran out but wasnt aware that I had to send her sicknote. Why does the HMRC need her sick note though?

Thanks for the replies.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Sick note not required by HMRC as far as I'm aware. Maybe they have got confused?
    Regards,

Burg
  • jewels.p
    Mmm strange I couldnt understand why she said it was for the HMRC.

Thanks Ian will need to find this out.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    jewels.p wrote: Β»
    Wondered if someone on here could advise me on something. We have a lady that has been off on long-term sick. Her SSP ran out last week and she has come on saying that we have to send her current sick note to the HMRC. We dont understand this as we thought it is the Benefits people that deal with her now.

Is she trying to get a tax rebate or why would HMRC need it?

Thanks for any advice.

you may find that you have now issued SSP1 and giving a date when your company stopped paying the SSP.

However, the sick note provided to you by your employee probably runs beyond that date. So that she can claim SSP from dpw (social security) she is required to send the the original sick note. you can keep a photocopy of a sick note as an evidence for HMRC.

She is correct, but may have said HMRC instead of the local benefit office. However, it will her who need to send in the original sick note and not the employer.
Privacy Policy