Please advise on which tax book to buy

Options
Sarah-Lou
Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi

Just went to purchase a Tolleys tax book but am a bit confused as there seem to be two that cover all aspects of tax. One is the Tolleys Tax guide at £74.95 and one is the Tolleys yellow tax handbook at £111.95.

Am only offering personal tax at the moment, however tax is the area I am going on to study (AAT tax units in Jan and then ATT so on lol) and would appreciate advice on which to go for.

Thank you

Sarah-Lou

Comments

• bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If you need something which covers all areas in general, I would recommend Alan Melville's Taxation. I found that quite handy and it doesnt cost that much.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Tolleys tax guide is well worth the money and is like the bible in our office
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    groundy is right

Some practice consider Tolleys tax guide as a bible. Even though it is expensive, you remember you will learn for your life. ( How to use it? :D lol)
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Tolly's Tax guide is written in plain english & easy to follow with lots of examples of calculations and practical advice. Is the yellow book you're talking about maybe the full legislation? If so you can (or could in the past) take the yellow book into the ATT exam with you, so it might be a good idea to get it if you can, but it's not really a substitute for the tax guide.
  • wildgoose1uk
    wildgoose1uk Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Tolley's is also £5 cheaper at Amazon and no carriage to pay!
  • Sarah-Lou
    Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    thank you I will be checking out Amazon in a moment!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Tolley's Tax Guide

The Yellow and Orange books are more legislations, rather than commentary. The Guide sets it all out in plain english, it's a bit like a text book but better.

We usually pay £60 or so for it.
Privacy Policy