Can I call myself a "Qualified Accountant"?

KW17 2LN
KW17 2LN Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
I'm sure this has been done before, I'm too lazy to search it sorry !

I'm planning on putting the following line on my CV skills summary (one I have AAT done).

"Qualified Accountant (AAT)"

Is this fair, or CV massaging ?

Comments

• Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    It is prevaricating a little, not fibbing but deliberately leading people to believe something that isn't quite true. Most people assume a qualified accountant to be ACA or similar.

I suggest "Qualified Accounting Technician".
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Cullen wrote: »
    It is prevaricating a little, not fibbing but deliberately leading people to believe something that isn't quite true. Most people assume a qualified accountant to be ACA or similar.

I suggest "Qualified Accounting Technician".

Then you're avoiding calling yourself a qualified accountant, in case someone misunderstands what you are saying. When you are in fact qualified.

How about "Qualified AAT Accountant".

I just don't like the word technician.
  • Kia
    Kia Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    KW17 2LN wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been done before, I'm too lazy to search it sorry !

I'm planning on putting the following line on my CV skills summary (one I have AAT done).

"Qualified Accountant (AAT)"

Is this fair, or CV massaging ?

Hi,

I would think you can only use qualified if you have the experience as well eg MAAT otherwise you are only an Affiliate.

Cheers
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    PGM wrote: »
    Then you're avoiding calling yourself a qualified accountant, in case someone misunderstands what you are saying. When you are in fact qualified.

How about "Qualified AAT Accountant".

I just don't like the word technician.

Loadsa threads on this. I hate Technician too it sounds like a mickey mouse Accountant and not one that has done their AAT!

I will now be sayin I am a Qualified Accountant and be proud.............if people that do a short course in Accounts can call themselves Accountants then I am sure we are more entitled to than them.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Anyone can call themselves an accountant.

By exams, I'm a qualified Accounting Technician.

By my experience, and by virtue of the job I do, I am a qualified accountant.

I hate the word technician.

If anyone asks, I'm an accountant. If they say what qualification, I say AAT. Simple.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Monsoon wrote: »
    ABy my experience, and by virtue of the job I do, I am a qualified accountant.

qualified [ˈkwɒlɪˌfaɪd]
    adj
    1. having the abilities, qualities, attributes, etc., necessary to perform a particular job or task

Agreed, by the definition of "qualified", you do need to have more than just AAT for example.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    This might be utter rubbish but my boss reckons, AAT = Accounting Technician, IFA = Qualified Accountant, ACCA, CIMA etc = Qualified Chartered Accountant. Although Id never heard of IFA until he just mentioned it!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    As already mentioned, I think it's okay to call yourself accountant if people are just politely asking what you do for a living as part of general conversation.

However, if people are considering hiring your services, you should clarify exactly what you are. Miss Pole can call ably herself an accountant because she has both exam based qualification and years of relevant experience to back up what she calls herself.

If you only have AAT and little or no practical experience, I'd steer well clear of calling yourself a qualified accountant, even with the added suffix. It implies you're something you know deep down you're not and misleading potential employers can only go badly.
  • Monsoon
    Thanks Robert ^^ agree with you there.
    jow774 wrote: »
    This might be utter rubbish but my boss reckons, AAT = Accounting Technician, IFA = Qualified Accountant, ACCA, CIMA etc = Qualified Chartered Accountant. Although Id never heard of IFA until he just mentioned it!
    IFA is a similar level to AAT in terms of exams/requirements, as far as I know. Its just they have the word 'accountant' in the title and we're stuck with technician. But AAT is more widely known, I believe.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Ive been investigating this afto, the diploma level is equal to AAT but apparently IFA have a professional level qualification which is equivalent to Level 5, and you also get more exemptions if you pass it against cima, acca and icaew than we get. So it appears to be inbetween AAT and chartered.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    What's required to go from AAT to IFA?
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AK002 wrote: »
    What's required to go from AAT to IFA?

Good question! Does anybody know the answer?
  • Monsoon
    jewels.p wrote: »
    Good question! Does anybody know the answer?

http://www.ifa.org.uk/members/how-to
    Level 4, AAT members, HNC Business & Finance graduates with the relevant ‘pathway’ or experience may be eligible for IFA Financial Accounting Executive membership.

FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING EXECUTIVE

Playing an important part in supporting the organisation and its finance manager or team, the Financial Accounting Executive is often responsible for drafting final accounts and interpretation of financial information.

With broad accounting and finance technical knowledge and skills the Financial Accounting Executive provides core services and plays an important role in keeping the finance function working effectively. Access to this level of membership is usually IFA’s Financial Accountant Diploma qualification. However, certain other relevant and recognised qualification may also be deemed equivalent.

Financial Accounting Executives may use the post nominal letters Dip FA. Progression to Associate level would be recommended as an individual’s career requires.

So, AAT gives you basic IFA membership.
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉

Has anyone gone on to do IFA?

And does anyone know how this compares to CIMA/ACCA?

I'll hopefully finish Level 4 this year so I am looking at all the different qualifications I can go on to :)
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

So there would be no exams etc to sit?

I may join... why not haha!
Privacy Policy