Going it alone

Daz1865
Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
Hey guys,

I'm currently studying AAT Level 3 at evening classes through a local college. I've been studying for a year and a half and have been constantly frustrated. I know this isn't being particularly modest but I feel I outshine the rest of the class, the tutors go too slow, I feel like I could have achieved what I have so far on my own at a fraction of the cost and in half the time!

I've spoke to Kaplan and they said I could just book the exams through them. Exam fees would be £35 each. Books maybe £15 each per module. Thats only £300. There would also be a lot more flexibility when I could study. I think if I start in July (once L3 is finished) then I could realistically be done before the end of the year.

So I have been thinking about it and think I will just go it on my own for Level 4. I wondered if many people on here had done that? Do you think you actually need a college's support to succeed?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A lot will depend on your level of motivation to go at it alone. You sound like you have that sorted, so that is a good start.

The other thing is, remember, if you go at it alone, there will be no tutor to ask anything, but you could ask things on the forums if you can't find it back. It will require some research most likely if you do not understand it.

For your project you will need tutor support, but you could look into just buying that unit from a distance learning provider, rather than local college.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If you're self-disciplined enough to do it yourself then yes it's possible. Just bear in mind level 4 is a big step up from level 3 so don't underestimate it :)

As Rinske says, there is support here on the forums. You can but try it - good luck!
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    go for it you even don't have to go with kaplan just buy set of books on ebay and do it .If you need help google will do for you .
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    To be honest i wouldn't do it..

I have done distance learning with Kaplan and i wouldn't recomment it. It hasn't really worked for me.. I would have finished ages ago if i had stuck at the college route.. Teaching yourself tax is very boring and although i have now finished all of my exams, i have to say i had received minimal support or contact from Kaplan as a distance learning student!
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    To be honest i wouldn't do it..

I have done distance learning with Kaplan and i wouldn't recomment it. It hasn't really worked for me.. I would have finished ages ago if i had stuck at the college route.. Teaching yourself tax is very boring and although i have now finished all of my exams, i have to say i had received minimal support or contact from Kaplan as a distance learning student!

depending on you really if you are clever like this guy I think he can do because he outshine all people in class why not go alone
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for the replies and thoughts.

I guess the key would be keeping myself motivated. I'd like to think I could read through all the topics and do the hard work needed. Its not like I have shied away from putting in the hours before!

The worst thing that could happen is for me to fail a few exams and then have to go back with my tail between my legs, although it would be a bit pessimistic to just admit defeat without trying first.

3 months until I finish level 3, so I guess I can think about it a bit more. Will talk to my current tutors anyway.

Just been looking at the Level 4 Budgeting book. It doesn't look like anything too difficult. Never had that much trouble with that aspect of things. Sorry by the way, I've never been that good at not sounding like a know-it-all
  • GJ1985
    GJ1985 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Daz1865 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm currently studying AAT Level 3 at evening classes through a local college. I've been studying for a year and a half and have been constantly frustrated. I know this isn't being particularly modest but I feel I outshine the rest of the class, the tutors go too slow, I feel like I could have achieved what I have so far on my own at a fraction of the cost and in half the time!

I've spoke to Kaplan and they said I could just book the exams through them. Exam fees would be £35 each. Books maybe £15 each per module. Thats only £300. There would also be a lot more flexibility when I could study. I think if I start in July (once L3 is finished) then I could realistically be done before the end of the year.

So I have been thinking about it and think I will just go it on my own for Level 4. I wondered if many people on here had done that? Do you think you actually need a college's support to succeed?

Thanks for reading

I have been studying through distance learning with Kapaln Financial for the past 18 months. I would agree that you do not need the support of a college to succeed. I have a tutor studying through distance learning, but I rarely have contact with my tutor. I am at level 3 now, I have completed the unit 5 and 6 exams and have yet to complete the 2 simulation modules. I have had no trouble studying alone using Kaplan's course books.

Graham
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It's years since I did my exams, but when I did level 3 our tutor was rubbish and I was the only person in the class who passed. That meant that I was then the only student on level 4 so they didn't run the classes just for me. I ended up sitting in on the level 3 classes whilst reading the level 4 stuff myself. I tried asking the tutor a couple of questions to clarify some points but he didn't have a clue, so yes, I ended up doing the whole thing on my own. It was a lot of hard work to get there and very lonely but totally do-able - i passed them all first time, just put your head down & go for it!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You can get benefits from a good tutor that you'll never get with a book.

When I studied at Kaplan Manchester I was really impressed with the standard of tutors, most had come from interesting industry careers, many examples they gave came with amusing really life stories that really got the message over and in many cases means I'll never forget them.

Still, I think the tutors at this level are in the minority.
  • deedi
    deedi Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    options

Am thinking of going it alone
    Just finished level 2 and teaching quality was so poor.
    Ended up teaching myself a lot of it and skipped the classes.
    All tutor did was read out of book. If we had any problems they just blamed the AAT.
    What have I got to lose will just sign at another collage if it doesn't work out.
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm in the same boat here, Level 2 & 3 my tutors just read the book to us and spent hours on very simply calculations, I could study at home for 3 hours and find I'm ahead of the class for the next 2 weeks (18 hours of lessons college a week)... On top of that they're being fussy about my attendance due to serious health problems and me choosing to attend work instead once or twice since I need to pay for this course.

It really is appalling for the price I'm paying. Finish the same time as OP and would like to know a bit more on how easy it is with Kaplan (easy as in arranging to sit exams, structuring the course etc)?

http://financial.kaplan.co.uk/Brochures/aat-ef-distancelearning-qcf.pdf

Would simply getting the complete Level 4 Stage kit be fine?
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi guys
    there has been some bad press on here regarding Kaplan. I didnt study with them but seen a lot of stuff about it on the forums - late with assessements and so on.
    Personally I believe I could have done level 3 alone as I never talked to my tutor about anything (I am distance learner I could have but I didnt need to) but at level 4 I found some pieces needed a little bit of explanation so used them quite a bit on level 4, along with various articles on the forum and accounting web site. I also believe you need a tutor or colleage for the project. I have also seen in the past BPP charging for just individual units so that might be an option. There is a fair amount of chat about this elsewhere on the forum so may be worth checking that out

K
  • SharGardy
    SharGardy Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    I have done level 4 as distance learning with Kaplan books. I haven't had to ask for help with anything and have passed all my exams. I would say to go for it! Good luck
Privacy Policy