Help Lost Focus

jo21977
jo21977 Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi,

I'm on my last few exams (Budgeting and 1 credit control plus and retakes) left and i'm finding it really hard to focus and revise.

It's so close to the end and i've lost confidence for my budgeting after failing financial performance once. The retake was a nightmare, worse that the original paper and I wouldn't be surprised to have to take it a third time!!

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    You are on the last few - it's the light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't let a fail get you down, some papers do take a few tries to pass. I know that's easier said than done!

Have you got a study plan? Break it down into manageable sessions, set yourself realistic targets and tell yourself you just need to keep going for a little longer.

You can do it!
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I've lost focus as well- I have budgeting, financial performance and the project left.

I'm just going to give things one last push.

Fortunately these things are now all computer based so I don't have to wait until December to do the exams.

These exams seem like they are never going to end but when I slog anyway at things one last time hopefully I'll be finished.
  • jo21977
    Thanks, glad to see i'm not alone.

With the state of the AAT this year it's hard to keep the motivation going!

As far as study goes, i'm finding it difficult as the online practice papers are fine, but I have always passed them the actual exams always seem so much harder, probably the exam pressure!
  • staceylou
    staceylou Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor โญ
    im completely the same i got financial performance tomorrow and have done next to no revision which isnt like me but since failing and stuff, i just cant seem to be able to sit down and revise, its very upsetting always worked so hard and revised before but lost all heart.
  • jo21977
    im completely the same i got financial performance tomorrow and have done next to no revision which isnt like me but since failing and stuff, i just cant seem to be able to sit down and revise, its very upsetting always worked so hard and revised before but lost all heart.

How did your financial performance exam go?
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A change is a good as a rest....

I've just started on my level 4 and I cracked through the study material for Financial Statements in about 2 weeks. I had one chapter of the Osborne book left - consolidation and all of a sudden I slammed in to a brick wall. I read it, re read it - read it from the Kaplan notes, started to get it.... confused myself with the two different explanations in different learning providers books. Got frustrated and refused to pick up my books for a week, actually closer to 2.... and when I did pick up my books I somehow had retained about 80% of what it was I was trying to learn - without actively doing any studying.

I'm not quite sure how it happened - but the point I am trying to make is I think I actually did know most of the material all along - its just I was getting so hung up and focussed on the few parts I found hard that I was trying to learn about them out of context and not slotting them in to the bigger picture. When I stepped away for a little while and came back with fresh eyes things had slotted in to place and there were just a few areas I needed to go over.

I think if you stop completely then you could end up losing steam - but if you change your focus for a while then it can give you fresh energy to carry on. I really want to build my excel skills, so i'm going to take a pause between Financial Statements and Auditing to go away and do something that will benefit and supplement my career, without feeling like I am staring at the same old pile of books !

What are you hoping to do with your AAT qualification when you pass (which you will if you keep going :) ) Reason I ask is to see if there is something that will help you feel like you are getting closer to achieving the bigger goal ? The AAT qualification is great - but again I'd say its only part of the picture in helping you reach your end goal.
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hey uknitty

did you suss the consolidated statements in the end?
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Yeah I did. I understood all the individual adjustments that needed to be made but the problem I was having was remebering which to do and in what order and make sure that I don't miss anything out. Kaplan pocket notes have a five step process that you can apply to any scenario and it will cover any and all possible adjustments - it actually makes more sense than the process used in the Osbourne book which is a bit "well for this type of adjustment you do this...."

My learning style is that I understand things better when I look at the big picture and the whole process rather than the component parts individually. Once I get the general process then I can drill down in to the detail.

It really was a case of walking away from it for a bit and when I came back it had just sort of sunk in !
  • pirate
    Yes I agree for me too if I understand the purpose of anything andthe bigger picture it just tends to make more sense in the end.

And sometimes you are right you can get too close to something and cant see the wood for the trees.
  • jo21977
    Thanks for all the words of wisdom:)

It does get hard and if it didn't it wouldn't be worth it.

I think I will put in some renewed effort this weekend and push on through that wall.

Consolidated financial statements were a nightmare but satisfying when it finally clicks! x
  • staceylou
    staceylou Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor โญ
    How did your financial performance exam go?

hey it went better than i expected i think wouldnt like to say either way but wasnt guessing most of it so thats a good sign!!!

just to wait the 6 weeks now!!
  • jo21977
    hey it went better than i expected i think wouldnt like to say either way but wasnt guessing most of it so thats a good sign!!!

just to wait the 6 weeks now!!

If its a retake it may not take 6 weeks, mine was back in 4:) All good the second time tho!
  • pirate
    If its a retake it may not take 6 weeks, mine was back in 4:) All good the second time tho!

So this sounds like you passed well done...no worries about focus now then
Privacy Policy