Renting mileage

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
For rental properties, is it normal to include mileage to and from the property as an expense?

Surely it must be, but its something I've neve dealt with.. thanks.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Good question. Logic says it should be allowable, but I don't know offhand. Have a look in the Manual?
  • Carole
    Carole Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    Mileage

Landlords CAN claim for travelling expenses to and from the rental property.
  • PGM
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Good question. Logic says it should be allowable, but I don't know offhand. Have a look in the Manual?

Which manual are you refering to?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    As a landlord, you need to travel from property to property to collect rent, visit tenants, maintain properties etc, so all allowable as a business expense.
    I assume we are talking about a professional landlord and not someone who just rents one house out?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Carole wrote: »
    Landlords CAN claim for travelling expenses to and from the rental property.

Thank you. Have you got a reference?
    T.C. wrote: »
    As a landlord, you need to travel from property to property to collect rent, visit tenants, maintain properties etc, so all allowable as a business expense.
    I assume we are talking about a professional landlord and not someone who just rents one house out?

If it's a business then I don't think it is in doubt - I assumed the question related to a private individual, in which case, it ought to be allowed, but I dont know offhand.
    PGM wrote: »
    Which manual are you refering to?

THE manuals!!
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/manuals-a-z.htm

:)
  • PGM
    Monsoon wrote: »

Thanks Monsson, I should probably bookmark this or something :D

ps it was a one house landlord, but the principle should the same?! I will read.
Privacy Policy