Riots

AK002
AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
So.. maybe moving to London wasn't the best idea I ever had eh?

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Well, the moving was ok, but starting those riots.. Well, maybe you shouldn't have started a streetparty :lol:

(and no, I'm not serious, I do hope you aren't in the middle of it though!)
  • AK002
    Haha!

It's closer tonight. Nearest last night was Peckham which is about 3-5 miles away.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    its happening in my home town, in south east SHROPSHIRE!!!!
  • oli
    oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    I feel sorry for the law abiding citizens who are in London at the minute, it must be hell, I live in Nottingham and the property manager of our work building came into warn us of the possible riots up here.

One thing I am wondering is why do people decide to copy cat what is happening in London? From the looks of things on the news it seems to be mostly teenagers who are causing the problems, terrorising business owners and people who live in the area it's just plain wrong.

This will also give teenagers more bad press and there are a lot out there who are decent human beings

Rant over ;-)
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AK002 wrote: »
    So.. maybe moving to London wasn't the best idea I ever had eh?

Yip!.........................that's all I will say.
  • Rinske
    jewels.p wrote: »
    Yip!.........................that's all I will say.
    O if Jewels says so, we got no choice other then believing it of course!
  • AK002
    Aye, that's true haha!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    What are your thought on the sentances handed out? Some say too harsh! Some say not harsh enough!
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    The sentences the London courts have handed out are definitely not harsh enough. Manchester seems better but I still think they should be longer. My view is nothing to do with the 'North South divide' as I am a North Londoner living in the North East I think I can be objective! I was horrified at what I saw especially in Enfield as I always lived quite near to there. The courts need to sort this to stop it happening again.
  • AK002
    Hmm some have been too harsh.

The 2 Scots that got 4 years each for posting something on Facebook is stupid. How are the prisons going to cope with all the extra people?

There was a boy who got 6 months for stealing £3 worth of water yet some MP who stole £40k in expenses got 4 months.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The problem is not in the harshness of sentences, per se, but the inconsistency - as you point out AK, £3 vs £40k isn't right.

I understand that it's not just [crime name] but it's [crime name] under the bigger picture of rioting which makes it worse and thus judges are handing out at the higher end of the sentence structure. However, politicians in a position of trust for the country should also fall under a severe bigger picture and thus should have been dealt with accordingly.

I have no problems with people getting handed down more harsh sentences - ultimately they are responsible for their own actions and it is their stupid fault for getting carried away with the riots. I just wish the justice system was fair and even-handed.

I also think prison wasn't necessarily the right choice - some prison, yes, but really, community service in the form of clearup - taking their time and making them do something positive for the community they just trashed - would be more fitting and more productive to society as a whole. And I mean the same length of time doing community service, not just 100 hours or something. 1000 hours.
  • Rinske
    Monsoon wrote: »
    The problem is not in the harshness of sentences, per se, but the inconsistency - as you point out AK, £3 vs £40k isn't right.

I understand that it's not just [crime name] but it's [crime name] under the bigger picture of rioting which makes it worse and thus judges are handing out at the higher end of the sentence structure. However, politicians in a position of trust for the country should also fall under a severe bigger picture and thus should have been dealt with accordingly.

I have no problems with people getting handed down more harsh sentences - ultimately they are responsible for their own actions and it is their stupid fault for getting carried away with the riots. I just wish the justice system was fair and even-handed.

I also think prison wasn't necessarily the right choice - some prison, yes, but really, community service in the form of clearup - taking their time and making them do something positive for the community they just trashed - would be more fitting and more productive to society as a whole. And I mean the same length of time doing community service, not just 100 hours or something. 1000 hours.
    Also putting them in prison costs money and making them clean up their mess, saves us taxpayers money in the long run!
  • PGM
    Hmm some have been too harsh.

The 2 Scots that got 4 years each for posting something on Facebook is stupid. How are the prisons going to cope with all the extra people?

There was a boy who got 6 months for stealing £3 worth of water yet some MP who stole £40k in expenses got 4 months.

I thought it was stupid, but then they were helping to organise the riot from what I read. So that put a different slant on things.

Stealing the water again sounds harsh, surely there must be other factors that were considered, obviously he wasn't just out for a strawl and got thirsty :D But without knowing more it does seem too much.

ps I do agree with Monsoons community service comments.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    PGM wrote: »
    I thought it was stupid, but then they were helping to organise the riot from what I read. So that put a different slant on things.

Stealing the water again sounds harsh, surely there must be other factors that were considered, obviously he wasn't just out for a strawl and got thirsty :D But without knowing more it does seem too much.

ps I do agree with Monsoons community service comments.

the lads 'helping to organise the riot' were suggesting to loot Mcdonalds!!
  • PGM
    katie2008 wrote: »
    the lads 'helping to organise the riot' were suggesting to loot Mcdonalds!!

If thats true its hardly organising!
  • AK002
    TBF the whole country's a mess at the moment.
  • PGM
    TBF the whole country's a mess at the moment.

It is, I think the government will have to increase spending on community schemes, and various schemes to get people back into work. They need some solution to the unrest.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    the best thing i heard today was a group of teenagers gathering in newcastle during the riots to protest against them shouting "dont be a loon in our toon" god i love it here lol
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Everyone I spoke to 'down south' kept telling me that Newcastle would be next and laughed when I said that I didn't think so! Thanks for posting that A-Vic!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Amnesty International are now complaining about the breach of privacy and human rights if rogue Facebook users are disconnected during times of civil unrest. I have two problems with that:

1) If you actively use Facebook to instigate violence you can barely complain about your own privacy being violated.
    2) Since when did using Facebook become a human right? JFC.

Mind you, coming from an organisation that has previously defended wanted serial murderers from extradition to countries where they would face justice, I can't be too surprised at their admirable intentions but crucial lack of brains...
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A-Vic wrote: »
    the best thing i heard today was a group of teenagers gathering in newcastle during the riots to protest against them shouting "dont be a loon in our toon" god i love it here lol

We were down in Newcastle the week of the riots and we were kinda wondering if Newcastle would be next as they seemed to working their way up the country. I now know how the Geordies get drunk all the time and are known as party animals. We saw an advert on a window outside "The Gate" for Triple Drinks for £1.95 I would be drunk on a fiver! :lol:
Privacy Policy