CV and Slim fit Grey Suit for interview

George Tse
George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hello

I have come to conclusion that I must change how I present the AAT qualification on my CV.

Currently I list all the units and I want to put a descriptions of what I have studied in the aat instead of listing the units like any other person would so what sould be a good description.

Second questions is that I want to get a new suit for job interviews so I can be a little different to all the other guys ?

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Personally when I was employed I never listed the individual units. I simply stated the level I studied, where at and the date I passed. I tried to be different by having an interesting (different) personal profile section at the top so the first paragraph would attract some attention and possibly want them to read on.

Not sure if it's the best way but it has got me the jobs I wanted (not all but one eventually).

Secondly with the suit. Go for what you feel comfortable with and but in my opinion don't overdo letting your character come through. I nice suit with a tie showing some character usually works well. It lets some character out but shows you can remain professional.

Best of luck
    Regards,

Burg
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    burg wrote: Β»
    Personally when I was employed I never listed the individual units. I simply stated the level I studied, where at and the date I passed.

I agree with this. To be honest I'd be offended if a potential candidate thought I didn't know what units are covered when studying AAT.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    I agree with this.

Yep, I agree too. Though it would be useful to know what options were taken at level 4. E.g. to me (in practice), taking both personal and business tax would be an advantage (and probably a requirement). Someone who'd taken credit management and audit would be less attractive. I think it's important to indicate what options you took.
    But don't list everything else. The fact that you have AAT on your CV implies the rest, and listing all the detail would probably confuse me ("why are they listing all of this?"). Remember, CVs need to be as concise as possible, so don't list any unnecessary detail.

Good advice from Ian on the suit. As long as you're smart, I don't think it matters what it is - but research the company first. Look at their website. Do they look boring and stuffy or a bit more modern/ relaxed/ open minded. Remember to think of your audience.

Oh, and good luck!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    Do they look boring and stuffy

In which case you would just not apply? :lol:

Good luck with the search though!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    In which case you would just not apply? :lol:
    Well yeah, there is that!!!!! ;-)
  • babsa
    babsa Registered Posts: 118 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    burg wrote: Β»
    I tried to be different by having an interesting (different) personal profile section at the top so the first paragraph would attract some attention and possibly want them to read on.

I have a section like this at the top of my cv also.

I have also quoted the optionial unit I took.

Good Luck. :)
  • mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A bit late to join in but....

I've just attempted to update my CV now I have gained some more exprience in my current role. Do the AAT offer a CV checking service? I would like someone's impartial opinion on whether my CV says "employable".

Thanks!
Privacy Policy