What to do

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I am really upsett about something that happened today and wonder if it could effect me as an agency worker.
I have been temping as an accounts clerk for a chemical processor and it was a 7 month assignment ending in August this year. This week the auditors arrived and I asked the main auditor if I could help them to get some hands on experience. The auditor said that she couldn't agree to me helping her because of "independence" issues. The main auditor then told the accountant at the company who came in and publically humiliated me by shouting at me in the middle of the office that I was in no position to approach the auditors and to get on with my work and never to interfere with the audit. I felt completely victimised and I walked out. I am 54 years of age and will not be spoken to like that of a 30 year old "qualified" girl.
My agency have told me to go and see them on Monday morning and wondered if anyone knew what I am to expect.
ยซ1

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    May I just ask why you have put qualified in speech marks?
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    no experience with this but...

So Glynis.
    I have not been an agency worker before so I don't know what to expect but do you think you may have come across wrong? we don't know what you exactly said but it may have been a bit forward for a temp. also, how were you getting on with the work you were actually assigned with? perhaps the boss thought you should have been concentrating on that more. if they wanted you to deal with the auditors they would have asked. i always get annoyed when people interfere in stuff thats got nothing to do with them.
    Also, im unsure what you mean by spoken to like a 30year old?
    in a way you should have been taken to one side but by walking out it makes you look like a 2year old. This is probably why you are bein called in. if you had stayed and discussed the situation and appologised for stepping over the linr it may have gone better. at the end of the day plenty of people need jobs so employers will just get someone in who will do as their told even if you were trying to show initive
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    I'd say that if the "qualified" you're referring to is the accountant, then if she is either ACA, ACCA or CIMA, then she seriously needs to go back and resit the management parts of the course, as I am pretty certain they aren't optional, and, furthermore, berating a member of staff (and yes as a temp, you qualify to be classed as such) in front of a room full of co-workers is uncouth, unprofessional and completely out of order.

The request to assist the auditors was I think, slightly over-exuberant on your part, but that is as far as it goes. It was a simple mistake and if what you're saying here is correct, it should have been handled a whole lot differently.

FYI, had I of did what you did and then was spoken to to discourteously - qualified or not (a certain chairman of a fairly large construction company will vouch for this) I'd have left them in tatters afterwards - respect is earned and not granted with immediacy because of position.

If you've been called in, the agency is probably going to ask your side of the story. However, if its really bad, its not going to be a major issue as an agency worker, there are hundreds of agencies out there and they will use you irrespective of what one of their competitors has done :001_smile:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    So you were hired through an agency to do a job for a company. that company is paying the agency, who in turn pay your wages and you ask an external auditor can you help ?????

Glynis, i am sorry, but i think you are going to be removed from the agency books. can you not see how rude and disrespectful to the company and the agency you have been??

surely a job is a job,and you should have concentrated on the one you were doing, which might have been mind numbingly boring, but guess what?? filling your days i think is going to be even worse now.

i do hope your agency gives you another chance as i would hate to see you out of work, but i think you will be really lucky if they keep you on.

sorry

Tracy
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    You really do seem to have massive issues with the age of your colleagues. In this situation she is your senior and you should respect that, regardless of your age differences.

I'm not saying the way she reacted was right, but I've seen you dismiss people on age before and resent that you always seem to make it an issue. Someone can be young and good at their job.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Me now thinks Glynis = Baggybooks being wicked...
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I have to agree with Sarah, I have read other posts you have made and you have pointed out people's age and also you seem to have a problem with agencies.

I do agree the way she went about speaking to you could have been dealt with better, but I have worked for the same company for 10 yrs and wouldn't dream of approaching outsider to ask for work experience without speaking to my own boss first, especially auditors as there could be a conflict of interest as they were auditing work you could have been involved in.
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Me now thinks Glynis = Baggybooks being wicked...

*cackles*

As if.
  • MarkT
    *cackles*

As if.

Surely there aren't alts on this forum? :laugh:
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Glynis ...
    I have to put my tuppence worth in here - as a Snr Manager I would have dealt with you quietly, sternly and in private. At your age (and Yes I am qualified to say this as I am in roughly the same ballpark) you should have realised your approach to external auditors of a company you were temping with, was not only a breach of Professional Ethics, it was also over and above your remit.

To have walked out was childish and unprofessional. Learn from your mistakes, Go back and apologise.
    For the record, it is wrong to disparage someone for their age (their behaviour, yes) because everyone, regardless of age, can learn always learn something from another - be it good lessons or bad - they are all lessons.

Mark - what's an "alt"?
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well said KaySarah :)
    Mark - what's an "alt"?
    I'm guessing alter ego?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    What a great shame, and how well thought out communication might have stopped this happening in the first place.

I have noted Glynis has found F8 very difficult. This is the ACCA exam testing fundamental knowledge of auditing.
    If only Glynis had approached the leader of the audit team with something such as:
    " I am an ACCA student who would very much like to experience an audit to assist my understanding of this area and help me to have a fuller understanding when I prepare for the Dec 2012 F8 paper. My agency contract ends in August, after that time would you be prepared to give me an insight into auditing from your point of view?"

Sadly, the choice of words has led to an entirely different interpretation of Glynis's purpose and might possibly have compromised the auditor's integrity.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Thanks for all the constructive advices. Though I expected to receive a childish one from a certain individual.
    I didn't think I was doing anything wrong asking to help the auditor as I thought it was an opportunity. I just don't think anyone deserves to be screamed at by a horrible manager in the middle of an open plan office. I know I have a fiery personality but she should have known better. The reason I put qualified in speach marks was because she is an ACCA qualified but she doesn't know what she is doing. Her assistant always does her work for her and she just parades around the office like a prison officer.
    I have decided to resign from the agency anyway because I know they will get rid of me for walking out but nobody should speak like she did. I've registered with 3 more agencies and will hopefully get a job next week.
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but heed the advice offered here.
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What a great shame, and how well thought out communication might have stopped this happening in the first place.

I have noted Glynis has found F8 very difficult. This is the ACCA exam testing fundamental knowledge of auditing.
    If only Glynis had approached the leader of the audit team with something such as:
    " I am an ACCA student who would very much like to experience an audit to assist my understanding of this area and help me to have a fuller understanding when I prepare for the Dec 2012 F8 paper. My agency contract ends in August, after that time would you be prepared to give me an insight into auditing from your point of view?"

Sadly, the choice of words has led to an entirely different interpretation of Glynis's purpose and might possibly have compromised the auditor's integrity.

Which is possibly why the manager reacted as she did, in panic? Although I don't condone shouting at someone in public at all! I can understand the panic had the audit been compromised. Glynis has admitted she has a fiery personality - perhaps this is something she needs to look at. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I agree if she had approached this in a softly softly manner,the outcome may well
    have been different.

Such a pity - now a valuable opportunity has been wasted, but a lesson has been learned.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    I have decided to resign from the agency anyway because I know they will get rid of me for walking out but nobody should speak like she did. I've registered with 3 more agencies and will hopefully get a job next week.

No disrepect to agency personnel here, you do a good job. But to expect a agency job within a week? surely thats not right?

Its just the amount of unemployed personnel on agency books v the amount of positions out there. Cant remember the number of applicants for each vacancy, but there are a lot for each position.

I may be a bit bitter though, partner been made redundant due to his company losing a contract, people, he has registered with agency's over 2 months now.. they are doing their best, but still nothing.

But to walk out of a job, and to expect one next week? Could you not have spoken to the manager in the quiet, rather than walk out? I know a lot of people who would give a lot to even have a job for a week to provide for their families!!

Why should you get preferential treatment and not other people. And if the agency find someone better suited for any position, I am sure you will be claiming discrimination.

Good luck anyway in your new search, but remember there are a lot of people who would work, and take whatever their manager says, regardless of what they think, as they are just happy to be in work. Jobs are difficult to come across..
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    MarkT wrote: ยป
    Surely there aren't alts on this forum? :laugh:

Yep. Or maybe it's just pure coincidence that Baggy - one of the most prolific posters in AAT forum history - almost turned up on demand?!!

It's long been suspected by others but even I will now admit that Glynis almost certainly isn't a real person.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰

It's long been suspected by others but even I will now admit that Glynis almost certainly isn't a real person.

Do you reckon its Steve? lol and all this time we thought he had the patience of a saint...
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Do you reckon its Steve? lol and all this time we thought he had the patience of a saint...

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have better things to do with my spare time. In fairness, I can confirm that a tutor who posts on here has had dealings with Glynis, though admittedly I have thought on more than one occasion in the past that I was being subjected to somebody's sense of humour.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • MarkT
    No disrepect to agency personnel here, you do a good job. But to expect a agency job within a week? surely thats not right?

Its just the amount of unemployed personnel on agency books v the amount of positions out there. Cant remember the number of applicants for each vacancy, but there are a lot for each position.

I may be a bit bitter though, partner been made redundant due to his company losing a contract, people, he has registered with agency's over 2 months now.. they are doing their best, but still nothing.

But to walk out of a job, and to expect one next week? Could you not have spoken to the manager in the quiet, rather than walk out? I know a lot of people who would give a lot to even have a job for a week to provide for their families!!

Why should you get preferential treatment and not other people. And if the agency find someone better suited for any position, I am sure you will be claiming discrimination.

Good luck anyway in your new search, but remember there are a lot of people who would work, and take whatever their manager says, regardless of what they think, as they are just happy to be in work. Jobs are difficult to come across..

I cannot believe the OP has this mindset... Glynnis, I have 14 years experience of transaction experience and have registered with more than a few agencies and, since losing my job through redundancy in 2009 I have managed to work 9 months in total and its not through lack of applying - its about the ratio of jobs available to number of applicants.

Having re-read this thread and others views, I must summise that there is a need for you to take a long hard look as you seem to have a few issues to iron out here and working life will not magically work itself out unless you address it
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    What did the agency say?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    2 seperate issues;

I keep a log of all the things we prepare for the auditors and all aditional evidence in one place. I really wouldn't want anyone, especially people new to the firm duplicating work and giving unchecked infomation to the auditors. Especially when they're supposed to be working on other things..

You can almost understand why the person got so annoyed. Thats why you've got to get to know new people you're working with, to get a feel for working practices.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I have better things to do with my spare time. In fairness, I can confirm that a tutor who posts on here has had dealings with Glynis, though admittedly I have thought on more than one occasion in the past that I was being subjected to somebody's sense of humour.

Best wishes
    Steve

Sorry Steve but I laughed when I read your reply! Over the years I often wondered if it was a joke too but after reading your reply regarding the tutor I have finally accepted its real!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sorry Steve but I laughed when I read your reply! Over the years I often wondered if it was a joke too but after reading your reply regarding the tutor I have finally accepted its real!

The most common thread on this site is called "FAO Steve" :D
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    You really need to drum it out your head that people's age has anything to do with it.

You are working for the Accountant, therefore you are their Assistant and Junior, your next post about her doing nothing, most senior people have juniors doing the leg work and then they review etc.

Happens a lot in Practice.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Why have you now got your location as Glasgow/London AK are you not a Scot living in London anymore?:lol:
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Why have you now got your location as Glasgow/London AK are you not a Scot living in London anymore?:lol:

Mixed race now hahaha.

I'm actually looking to/hoping to move back to Aberdeen for 2013, before Abu Dhabi for 2014 haha. Trying to be a right little traveller.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    You really need to drum it out your head that people's age has anything to do with it.

You are working for the Accountant, therefore you are their Assistant and Junior, your next post about her doing nothing, most senior people have juniors doing the leg work and then they review etc.

Happens a lot in Practice.

Yep.

In terms of accounts and tax and the % of my working time spent doing that - I do next to nothing.
    I do however work really bl00dy hard.

We are an office of 4 and I am the youngest. Age isn't an issue here, and shouldn't be anywhere.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    I didn't think I was doing anything wrong asking to help the auditor as I thought it was an opportunity.

It's no wonder you haven't passed your F8!

Take my advice and study the following VERY hard:

Objectivity
    Independence
    Competence and due care
    Confidentiality
    Professional behaviour
    Integrity

In summary; THE FUNDAMENTAL ETHICAL PRINCIPLES!

Once you have grasped that think to yourself; why have the audit firm been brought in and how could my actions (as an employee) affect their opinion?

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    In terms of accounts and tax and the % of my working time spent doing that - I do next to nothing.
    I do however work really bl00dy hard on the AAT forums.

It's all become so clear now :P
Privacy Policy