HMRC grrrrr...

T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
A small business used to employ their son - he left 2 years ago. After putting in several nil returns, it was agreed that the PAYE was no longer needed. HMRC can't close it because they haven't got a P45 for the employee leaving - they did have it at the time! Now they want another P45 dated today - what sense does that make - there will be nothing on it!!! On top of that they don't know what they have done with the nil P35 return submitted back in April - fortunately I have the receipt for that one, so that is their problem. Can they really be that disorganised?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    T.C. wrote: Β»
    Can they really be that disorganised?

Yes, they can.

But that's pretty bad, even by their standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Using IRIS when I try to submit a P45 online for an employee with no income in the tax year it always gives an error message saying "the employee has no earnings this year and the P45 cannot be filed online"

So, I always thought you couldn't submit a nil P45 ? I'm not sure what it is HMRC are actually asking for from you seen as how they don't seem to accept P45s with a nil balance (at least not online !)

I would have thought if you wrote a letter to HMRC to cease the client, filed a nil return at year end and confirmed there would be no further activity from the Nil return at the year end 11/12 that that would be enough ?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    I would have thought if you wrote a letter to HMRC to cease the client, filed a nil return at year end and confirmed there would be no further activity from the Nil return at the year end 11/12 that that would be enough ?

You'd think....

Closing PAYE schemes are by far the hardest thing to get HMRC to do. I've no idea why.

My favourite one is this:

Me:

With reference to the attached document from yourselves, please be aware that this company has been dissolved at Companies House. We would therefore be grateful if you could close this PAYE reference.

HMRC: We can't, we don't have a 64-8 for you.

Me (annoyed):

You do not require a 64-8 in order to note that the company has been dissolved. Indeed, the company cannot sign a 64-8 as it no longer exists.

I respectfully request therefore that you check Companies House and act accordingly.

We have heard nothing since and that was 12 months ago...
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I would have thought if you wrote a letter to HMRC to cease the client, filed a nil return at year end and confirmed there would be no further activity from the Nil return at the year end 11/12 that that would be enough ?[/QUOTE]

That's what I would have thought and that's what I did. I even had a record of the P45 going in back in 2010, but that was not enough. I actually submitted a nil P45 online - hopefully that will sort the situation out!
  • LynWest
    LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    That is terrible Monsoon and TC, i have had trouble closing a payroll for my client who sold the business 3 years ago, i still have to sile nil declarations and a nil declaration for year end even though letters have been wrote otherwise my client gets fine letters still!! HMRC grrrr indeed !!
Privacy Policy