Would an AAT Qualification be enough for university

Options
Clockwork
Clockwork Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before :001_tongue: but would university's accept a person who's completed AAT level 4 in accounting? For an accounting degree of course. Would an AAT Level 4 be enough of an entry requirement to go on and study a degree in accounting?

I've read somewhere that if you hold Level 4 in accounting you pass straight through to second year. Don't know how true that is, would like somebody to verify please :)

Thank you :001_smile:

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I have read the same regarding entry to year 2 of a degree, however I think you would need to check with the university you are interested in applying to as each have their own entry requirements.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Hi Clockwork,

I know Birmingham City University accept onto the second year which is one of the universities mentioned in the
    link Uknitty provided. Even level 3 I would think is strong enough to go onto studying a degree at university as
    it's worth 160 UCAS points, but you may need one or two a levels on top.
    Have you thought about maybe doing a chartered qualification after AAT, e.g. CIMA/ACCA - rather than doing
    a degree?
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Clockwork
    Clockwork Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    uknitty wrote: »

Thanks :D So they'll accept AAT level 4? even if you don't have any other additional qualifications such as A-Levels?
  • mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    aaron0121 wrote: »
    Hi Clockwork,

Have you thought about maybe doing a chartered qualification after AAT, e.g. CIMA/ACCA - rather than doing
    a degree?

This is a good question. I went to University 10 years ago (my goodness that's a long time! Am I really that old already?!) and have found my degree has not been useful to me. Granted it's a different discipline to accounting, but I have found AAT to be much more practical. If I had known at the time I would have gone through the route I'm going now (AAT with view to going on to CIMA), I'm sure I would have had a lot more money by now because of the work and experience!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My understanding is that Level 4 AAT is superior to a degree in accounting, in practical terms.

Academically, the degree ranks higher, but in the workplace, AAT would.

I could be wrong but as an employer, I'd take someone with AAT over a degree any day, broadly speaking.

Edited to add: the point of saying that is, why are you looking at doing an accounting degree if you have AAT?
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Clockwork wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before :001_tongue: but would university's accept a person who's completed AAT level 4 in accounting? For an accounting degree of course. Would an AAT Level 4 be enough of an entry requirement to go on and study a degree in accounting?

I've read somewhere that if you hold Level 4 in accounting you pass straight through to second year. Don't know how true that is, would like somebody to verify please :)

Thank you :001_smile:

I have done this and the answer is "often" rather than a clear yes. It is down to the individual university, which in practical terms means the individual Undergraduate Admissions person working at that university. If you have a particular university in mind, contact their accounting teaching departments undergraduate admissions people and ask them.

You will still have to apply through UCAS like anyone else. You can often pass through to the second year. There is a box on the application form where you would specify this. I applied to six universities and got the following responses:

Four universities gave me offers to enter onto the second year of the course. They were all on the list uknitty mentions.
    One university gave me a flat rejection. This was also on the above list (see "down to the individual")

One was interesting. They noted that the AAT is a valuable professional qualification, but were concerned it wasn't academic enough to bypass the first year. They offered me entry onto the first year of their undergraduate accounting course on the strength of the AAT alone.

You can certainly apply and expect your application to be seriously considered, but it's not an automatic acceptance.

Good luck!
Privacy Policy