Need to vent!

Mollypod88
Mollypod88 Registered Posts: 155 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I just need to vent after a really bad day! A group of us went for a job promotion at work which requires AAT or above. And the two who got it do not have an qualifications instead it's a case of who you know not what you know. One of them slated the AAT saying qualifications aren't everything and really put me down. Please don't tell me AAT doesn't get you a better job. Accounts Payable can't be the end of the road surely ...

And I feel totally defeated by FNPF - I can't ever see me getting it!

Sorry to go on

Comments

• guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Mollypod,
    I sympathise completely, and have sent you a pm.
    GP
  • Wabi Sabi
    Wabi Sabi Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Mollypod, I really understand where you are coming from with this one. I am 40 and have just completed AAT level 3 and have hit a brick wall finding work. Have a look at the thread "Too Old...." started by H1983. The crux is from what I can gather yes at the start experience trumps qualifications. How ever Qualifications with Experience trumps Experience only in the end. This is why jobs advertised for finance graduates usually say "willing to start from the bottom and work their way up". So be greatful you do not have a £30,000 student loan when someone tells you that you do not have the experience they are looking for. However you are positioned to firstly get the experience you need and secondly move on above those who have only experience as they will similarly hit a wall at some point as they will not beable to prove their knowledge on accounting ethics etc. Stick with it, get the experience and if the company is not supportive to your cause then move on. Sometimes you need a push to find a company with the same ethics as you and it may in the long run be fortuitous that you were not promoted. All the best.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Only partially true: there's nothing to prevent switched on QBE's from attending courses, networking, reading journals and publications etc - essentially their own CPD - and thus keeping their knowledge up to date. As a few others will also testify, some of the best accountants I've ever met have been 'unqualified' while some of the worst have been chartered, certified etc. The core thing is the application of learned knowledge, not just the process of learning it but also knowing how to use it.

The OP hasn't stated if the two people who got the jobs were very good accountants... just that they didn't meet the AAT criteria but they could have excelled in other areas.
  • katiewh1607
    katiewh1607 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Mollypod

I hope AP isn't the end as that's what I'm doing now!! Sorry to hear you've had a bad day, relax with some chocolate and wine?!
  • Mollypod88
    Mollypod88 Registered Posts: 155 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks for your replies everyone. What kind of

Thanks for your replies everyone. What kind of job roles could an AAT qualified person be able to acheive?
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Mollypod88 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies everyone. What kind of job roles could an AAT qualified person be able to acheive?

Any, it all depends on your capabilities.
  • katiewh1607
    katiewh1607 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐
    You could start your own business!
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    You could start your own business!

Do that...and then give me a job :P
  • auntsarentgents
    auntsarentgents Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Makkusu wrote: »
    Any, it all depends on your capabilities.

Agreed; I am now head finance trainer for an organisation with 6,500 members of staff who use the finance system. Not bad for someone who only has AAT and some GCSEs...
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Agreed; I am now head finance trainer for an organisation with 6,500 members of staff who use the finance system. Not bad for someone who only has AAT and some GCSEs...

'who only has AAT' which we all work flippin hard to get! lol I know what you mean there could be higher qualified people.
    Mollypod- really sorry to hear that, seeing as you know they dont have any qualifications can you not ask someone to why they ended up getting it over those that did?
Privacy Policy