First Time Passes.

Spamkebab
Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi Gang,

I was just wondering if there is any way to show (a possible future employer) that one has passed all AAT exams taken, with first time passes?

I know how the statement of achievement looks but it doesn't show this, and due to some marking dates (My SPSW for example was completed in November 2011 but wasn't uploaded as a pass until mid January 2012) this shows that i have taken longer to complete a level than i actually did.

Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Comments

• Spamkebab
    Bump!

I want to bump this as a couple of forum members have already recently 'confessed' to passing all exams first time. I was under the impression that nobody had replied as they thought me big headed or something lol but if members have gained first time passes shouldn't they be able to show that somehow?

Ta,

Neil.
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Neil
    I have passed everything 1st time upto now, I have often wondered what happens if you fail and retake - and if it shows on your statement of achievement how many times it took to pass an exam.
    I honestly havent got a clue how the system works - sorry.
  • Spamkebab
    Yeah Annie, i was wondering the same thing. It'd be nice to have something from the AAT to prove our hard work though.
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    but does it really matter how many times you sat an exams? In my opinion it's the fact that you are competent or not in something matters most. I took 6 goes to pass my driving test, does it make me a worse driver than others? Actually I think I had more practice than others so I am better than somebody who passed first time.. Sometimes you are ill on the day of the exam and it doesn't mean that you haven't worked hard for it..
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    On the AAT website there are two areas where you can obtain your results. Exam results the the students area for statement of achievement which shows the date you sat/were deemed competent/not yet competent and then there is a section where you can download a statement which only shows the passes, I think. I could be wrong as not wanting to be 'big headed' as fellow forum members put it but I also passed all assessment on the first attempt.

I can fully appreciate those who are proud of what they have achieved and would like to show this to prospective employers, however as liveprincess says, does it really matter?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I know that for some professions, only so many attempts are allowed........so if you don't make the grade, tough.
    I was lucky, as my college was very flexible in letting us sit exams, if you didn't feel ready, then you could delay the exam until you were, up to the end of the college year in July.
    ACCA exams are on set dates in June and December, full stop.
    Does it matter? it does to the college/training provider, otherwise, I really don't know!
    GP
  • Spamkebab
    I totally agree with you Princess, i wasn't looking for something to wave in other students faces.

What about potential employers who are offering/paying for further study? would they not be too concerned.

This is what i'm wondering.

Neil.
  • liveprincess
    my boss pays for my course too and we agreed that he will pay for every first exam I take, any re-sits I have to pay for myself. Isn't that fair? So far I also have passed all my exams first time. But i don't think my knowledge or competence would have been any worse if I'd had any re-sits.
  • Jo Clark
    I think Neil's point is about looking for a new employer who will potentially fund further studies and being able to demonstrate that he has passed all exams to date first time... not about his current employer :)
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I agree with Jo,. regarding funding with a new employer.
    Pressure to pass first time also adds to the momentum, makes you focus on getting the studying done. Its also a goal to get completed asap, and move on with your career and life. I couldn't wait to qualify, and take the first holiday in 3 years, where I was not accompanied by text books & calculator!
    GP
  • Folander
    Folander Registered Posts: 50 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I think if your employer or potential employer wanted first time passes then they would check wih AAT to confirm after asking you of course.

Its something to mention in an interview if you feel it necessary however be careful, your potential employer might not have passed everything first time when they were studying! You could come across a bit arrogant then.

My last two managers had failed both CIMA & ACCA exams respectively. So I don't think its that big a deal. if you've passed, you've passed.
  • emuratty
    emuratty Registered Posts: 66 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    How about getting a reference from your training provider? I know that my college tutor has done this for other students in my class.

I too have passed everything first time to date and we've often talked about this at college, and have also wondered why it is just "competent" or "not competent" and doesn't give you a % or grade. Worth keeping your exam feedback sheets I suppose.

I would be telling a potential employer that I had passed everything first time and offer to get my tutor to confirm this in a reference. I'd also be highlighting my other achievements during my studies - silver and bronze medals at worldskills and a special achievement award at college - as well as my relevant work experience.
  • Spamkebab
    Sounds like you should be doing the interviewing Emuratty lol.

Well done accomplishing all you have!

Neil
  • liveprincess
    I think Neil's point is about looking for a new employer who will potentially fund further studies and being able to demonstrate that he has passed all exams to date first time... not about his current employer

I know what he was talking about. I said it as an example that you can agree something like this with your new employer if you are worried that he would be concerned about you taking to many times to pass. but in my opinion it still doesn't matter and as somebody mentioned above it might make you look arrogant, especially if your possible employer did not pass them all first time.
  • emuratty
    emuratty Registered Posts: 66 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Sounds like you should be doing the interviewing Emuratty lol.

Well done accomplishing all you have!

Neil

Thanks Neil, not quite there yet though. FS exam in just over a week !!! and then on to optional units.......can see the light at the end of the tunnel though :-)
  • Jo Clark
    I know what he was talking about. I said it as an example that you can agree something like this with your new employer if you are worried that he would be concerned about you taking to many times to pass. but in my opinion it still doesn't matter and as somebody mentioned above it might make you look arrogant, especially if your possible employer did not pass them all first time.

Apologies liveprincess it was the way I interpreted what you said and what the other student said. However the point being made is that the student wants to be able to demonstrate to prospective employers that they have achieved first time passes on each exam, therefore perhaps a document or something if you did pass them all first time instead of mentioning it at interview, if they were successfully shortlisted would prevent those who obtained this from appearing arrogant.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Folander
    Erm, the 'other student' is actually MAAT with first time passes in not only AAT but also in CIMA op & man exams!

Surely having a document stating first time passes would create a two tier qualification and therefore devalue the overall qualification?
  • Jo Clark
    Erm, the 'other student' is actually MAAT with first time passes in not only AAT but also in CIMA op & man exams!

Surely having a document stating first time passes would create a two tier qualification and therefore devalue the overall qualification?

When I made reference to the 'other student' I was actually referring to Spamkebab who posted the original message to this thread, not you Folander. Apologies if you took any offence from this post.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Folander
    Sorry Jo, I did think it was me you were talking about.

Now it is me who must apologise!
  • Jo Clark
    No worries :o

I hope your CIMA studies are going well.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • liveprincess
    Let's all apologise to each other and shake hands. Nobody wanted to be rude, it's hard on the forum sometimes to properly express what we really mean..
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I believe you can show you have passed first time by printing the 'my results' section.

When I went to take my BA1 exam, I quickly realised it was actually basic costing...turns out they had entered me for the wrong exam on the day. It was all sorted quickly I took BA1 and passed. But I had Basic Costing down as 'not yet competent' on this list for a couple of months until I called to complain, as it wasn't a fail as I didn't actually take the exam.... I was told at the time that all fails must stay for audit reasons, but mine eventually got removed as I made the point that it wasn't a true reflection of my results as I hadn't actually taken the exam yet. I'm sure other people can confirm, but I think they don't change.

And on the other note. there is certainly no shame in failing an exam, but I don't think it creates a two tier qualification by being able to say 'I passed first time'. I know a few friends that used this at interviews under the old standards and they weren't viewed as arrogant. Well they got the jobs anyway! Lol
  • Spamkebab
    Being viewed as arrogant will be down to the way you put yourself across. I have no intention of steaming into an interview and acting better than everyone else because i passed first time. Yes i am proud of my achievements, shouldn't we all be?
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Early bird catches the worm. Just putting my 2nd draft of ICAS together for tomorrow. Going through my documents i have to upload, my tutor wants an assessment plan. Not sure what i do with that.
  • Jo Clark
    Yes i am proud of my achievements, shouldn't we all be?
    Absolutely! :001_tongue:
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Early bird catches the worm. Just putting my 2nd draft of ICAS together for tomorrow. Going through my documents i have to upload, my tutor wants an assessment plan. Not sure what i do with that.

Morning Omega Man

Did you complete an assessment plan at the start of your ICAS project? If not, have you been provided with a template so you know what to complete?

Shout it you need any help with this... the template etc. not actually doing the work as I am sure you have already covered this :laugh:
    Benjamin Franklin
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Jo - No i did not complete an assessment plan at the start only the project plan. I have found it in my guidance pack and i have filled it in as far as i can and i will scan it and upload it. I have sent my tutor an e-mail about it anyway. It seems ok to me, although only room for 3 dates. I have left key date 3 blank for now.
Privacy Policy