Accounts Prep 1 & 2

Vlee
Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hello

I've started AP1, four chapters out of 12 so far. I'd like to take both AP exams on the same day but due to how busy the exam centre is I need to book well in advance to get both exams on one day.

How long should this take? I want to go through each book carefully, do all the activities and practice tests in the books and online plus time to revise. How hard does this subject get?

Until mid September I only have evenings and some weekends. Initially I thought the end of September, so a month exactly. I should be able to get both exams that far in advance but is it too soon/too much pressure?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Vlee

I think I spent about 5/6 weeks on this and was working full time, therefore only had evenings and weekends to study.

If you book your exam, and subsequently feel you are not ready, can you defer or would the wait be just as long again?

I would say for peace of mind allow 6 weeks (AP1 covers a lot more than AP2 from memory) however if you have the time to invest I am sure it is possible within a month.

You will also have all the support and help from your fellow forum users :D

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Vlee
    Ok that sounds about right. I started studying on Sunday, so that's almost exactly five weeks, I think. But I might add another week or two as I am planning a few days away and need some breathing space. I think they charge for changing dates and yes it would have to be way in advance to get a Saturday with two exams. I've mapped out the time I have and have plenty but if it turns out to be harder than anticipated I may crumble under the pressure - having an exam within the next week or so makes me so stressed, I'm sure I wasn't this stressy at school or uni. It feels more like my driving test with the immediate result. I imagine the L4 exam experience is quite different, having six weeks to wait. The other problem is motivation in the evenings.

Thank you!
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi from my personal experience (barring the months in between with no study), I found that AP2 took the longest, this took me nearly 2 months. out of all the level 3 exams i found this hardest. but yes i think 5/6 is feasable, i did ap1 within a month, then like i said took some time on ap2.

i would book exams with kaplan if your external, as long as you give 3-5 days notice they do not charge you change exam dates. i know bpp do charge 25 pounds.
  • Vlee
    Thank zaf, I usually use Kaplan as BPP don't offer weekend dates or even as many weekday. I did mean to ask about changes, I only asked BPP and assumed Kaplan would charge too.

Saying it took you three months is making me think I should play it a bit more safe. I rarely see any questions on either these modules so thought they would be fairly trouble free. What are the tough bits in AP2? Is it the actual statements that are tricky? Are they a bit like the VAT return only more complicated? - picking bits out of accounts to fill in the blanks?

I failed to do my two chapters last night so motivation is not good. I also take some medication to help back pain at night that makes me so sleepy I can't concentrate. Just three weeks to go and I will get some day times for study. It's not like I don't want to do it, depreciation and disposal of capital assets next and I'm quite excited sadly.
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Vlee

With me taking 3 months to complete ap1 and 2, i think i could have done it in less time, definitely played it safe.
    However i only book exams when my knowledge exceeds 80% of the module, which is why im stressing about spsw as i booked exam before opening textbook.

I think keeping yourself motivated is the biggest thing. Sometimes you feel like you go form one exam to the other
    with no break.

Ive just had a quick look through my textbook, and 2 months is a long time for ap2, i honestly cant tell you why, but i
    suspect lack of motivation played a part. but if i remember correctly hated partnerships, i.e admission, retirement,
    and goodwill.

Zaf
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hey Zaf,

Hows the studying going? Are you still volunteering?

Hi Vlee,

I did find AP II easier as it was less - all you are really doing is the financial statements AP I is the more the fundamentals principles which they test you so covers more.

Cheers
    Martin
  • Jo Clark
    Hi Vlee,
    I did find AP II easier as it was less - all you are really doing is the financial statements AP I is the more the fundamentals principles which they test you so covers more.

A good understanding gained now in AP1 and AP2 will place you well when studying Financial Statements at Level 4 :)
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Hello Martin

How is level 4 going for you? (Sorry to hijack thread).

JC :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Vlee
    I haven't got any further and I'm taking a break. Peppa Pig World next week, few days in a hotel and then nursery starts and I will have those precious few hours alone to study. I think the tip about getting so far through the book is good, maybe once through AP1 I will book both. Currently I've been completing the study and then booking which means by the time the exam comes I have to study the whole module again. I still feel exited and motivated but little people don't make good study companions!
  • j1994
    j1994 Registered Posts: 106
    the thing is theres 4 practice assesments for 2010 for ap2 but 2 out of the 4 cba's are exactly the same as the 2013 practice assesments :astonished: .
Privacy Policy