Borderline result?

Options
mrderek88
mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor 🐘
Does anyone know if the borderline result is a good or bad thing? Is it borderline over the pass mark or borderline under the pass mark?

Comments

• aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Options
    Hi Derek,

I'm pretty sure borderline means you have gained half the marks needed for a task or not enough marks gained for overall competency but the marks will still count towards your overall pass mark. From memory I think the pass mark is set at 70% for the level 4 exams. So having too many borderlines could essentially be a bad thing, depending on how the examiners mark the
    exam.

Hope this helps a bit

Aaron

AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Options
    I dunno, I didnt have any borderline on my personal tax only alot of Met, Significantly below & below requirement :/ whoops!
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Aaron is correct in that a borderline means that you have not proved competency in that question and lots of borderlines means a No No for a pass as you will not have reached 70% overall. On this subject there has been a suggestion that Pass, Merit and Distinction may be coming in but that there has been horrified reaction to giving a percentage grade. This begs the question as to why as the qualification is no longer an NVQ and that all the sponsoring bodies issue their results as percentages.
  • mrderek88
    mrderek88 Registered Posts: 44 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's all a bit confusing and I find that the feedback doesn't really help at all. It's also a bit annoying that we can't get access to it ourselves?!

I personally believe that the exams being marked at Pass, Merit & Distinction is a good idea. I think that would encourage people to study harder for them. Espeically if your bosses want to find out how well you're doing - I know I would. Doesn't really go too well with just failing one though.

Having a meeting with my tutor this afternoon so will find out exactly what's going wrong!!
Privacy Policy