What *other* careers have you had?

StuartW
StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
We've asked this question in a few places this week and have had some interesting responses. Would you say you've had multiple careers? What did you used to do?
---

Comments

• CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    I was a Royal Marine for the best part of ten years, left in 2013.

Been in my current role just over two years, completed AAT and have my ACA finals in November. Bit of a change of pace!
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    In a previous life I was a personnel manager then HR deputy manager - moved to England and didn't have the "right" qualifications so went into training, then set up a partnership to teach French in after school clubs. I then realised I was more interested in the "running" of the business than the actual teaching and started AAT in my early forties.
    But I am most of all a full time mum of 3 children :)
  • anitaadams
    anitaadams Registered Posts: 1
    I have a Psychology Degree. I mainly worked as a research assistant but after being a full time mum found myself helping out my husband with his small business with the finances - I am now attempting level 4 but finding it a little difficult running a home, full time job and looking after my many animals.
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
  • pawprint81
    pawprint81 Registered Posts: 2
    Kennel Maid for 6 years between finance jobs!
  • richf
    richf Registered Posts: 86 New contributor 🐸
    I don't consider that I have ever had a career... though I've never been out of work.

Whilst at university and collage before I did many jobs, removals, night clubs, factories, roofing and worked on a few farms, being from a rural background. towards end of uni and since I have worked in a printers, mostly on pre-press and digital, but done it all in these years.

Should be of finished AAT this year, then time to take the jump into accountancy! At 33 I'm hopefully young enough to get in somewhere on a training position with funding for ACCA but will have to just see.
  • clees
    clees Registered Posts: 33
    i've worked in a shop, then a cheese factorys labouraty and most reasontly a civil engineering company for 3 years where i started at the bottom and when i left i was suporvisory level.

now im 'going back to school' and starting an apprenticship in accounting. massive changes in direction but hopfuly one that will pull off and allow me to realise the dream of opening a recruitment company.

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I trained as a Pharmcy Technician when I left school. Was quite an interesting role based in a hospital making feeds for premature babies and chemotherapy. Ultimately though the pay was not that great and the chances for progression very limited. I left there and retrained as an accountant at a practice before starting my own practice in 2009
    Regards,

Burg
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I took a brief break from accountancy to work in recruitment and found it so dull so I returned to practice less than 12 months later!
  • LigaKa
    LigaKa Registered Posts: 5
    I was a barber, client mananger and then became a mommy.
  • kelsmick
    kelsmick Registered Posts: 89
    I was a materials controller and buyer before starting my studies.
    www.essencebookkeeping.co.uk
Privacy Policy