ISYS is killing me!!!

richf
richf Registered Posts: 86 New contributor 🐸
My brain is hurting!
I appear to be going round in circles.

I'm currently doing my project with BPP, with my intro and accounts department sections due in on monday. :/

I'm sure I'm spending far too long on this having worked on it every night, but still feel what I have done is a bit naff! :'(

BPP have quite outlined stage guidance, but using a case study I am struggling to visualise the company and seems lots of gaps in information.

My project proposal was 1000s of words, but was mostly waffle!
My tutor has said repeatedly in forums and online video that she wants questions, but I don't know what to ask!

Anyhow, this is more of a reassurance required message than anything else!
I think I'm going to be at 2000 words with just the intro and accounts sections, and still don't feel I'm writing the correct stuff!

:'(

Comments

• Christina
    Christina Registered Posts: 33 New contributor 🐸
    Me too :'( I'm doing mine with Kaplan and there doesn't seem to be much useful help. I've listened to their (and AAT) webinar recording countless times, and I've read sooo much I think it's actually making things worse - information overload! I am due to hand in my plan by Wednesday, I'm most of the way through it but I am sure I'm not putting the right stuff in. I can't get the different parts of it to link up. I actually feel like scrapping the whole thing and starting again but I don't have the time so will just muddle on with it and hope for the best I suppose. Sorry I can't be more reassuring :/
  • richf
    edited May 2015
    Glad I'm not alone!!

Feeling your pain regards information overload... and I can't see where to put the info in the sections, despite it clearly being relevant!!!

By plan do you mean project proposal? Mine was stupidly lengthy for something that was fully bullet pointed! I'm also failing to see the relevance of some points.

At least we get feedback before final draft submission, though could of done with more specific feedback on the proposal.
  • richf
    I have not looked at AAT ISYS resources @Christina, will have to take a look at the webinar tonight. Thanks.
  • Christina
    Kaplan give us a blank plan to fill in covering all the performance criteria, to pick out the weaknesses, propose solutions, cost them and show savings. It should be straightforward but I'm finding it difficult. You'd think it would help that they show a 'bad plan' and a 'good plan' in the Kaplan webinar but the 'bad plan' is ridiculously bad (like the student didn't fill half of it in and copied examples given to them), and they say the 'good plan' isn't great and go on to pick holes in it :/
    We get feedback on the plan as to whether the marker thinks we will make a good project from it, and pointers if not.
  • richf
    Thats weird, in some ways the Kaplan plan is much more involved than the proposal for BPP yet you still do a proposal afterwards!
    You are probably further along than me in some ways regarding research then, despite me starting my report!

Odd the guidance is so little, my feeling with BPP is they want us to follow a exact plan so they can easily mark it and get all the points... but struggling to shoehorn things in and fail to see relevance of others as I said!

Are you doing a case study? I wish I'd done the project on my workplace in hindsight.
  • Christina
    Yes I'm doing a case study, I got Chic Paints Ltd. I have no practical experience of working in an accounts department so I think that's why I'm finding it tough (or maybe that's just an excuse). I just hope once the plan is OK'd that actually writing it will be the easy part, cos this is like pulling teeth. It is by far the hardest thing I've had to do and I'm actually quite down about it at the moment, deadline looming and don't feel I'm doing it right :(
    I think I would have preferred the BPP method, it sounds like you're just getting on with writing it, and submitting the first section? I get bogged down with detail but I've never been one for detailed plans lol
  • richf
    I've got limited practical experience, I work in a printers, have done for 10+ years but recently started bookkeeping type tasks.... but the case study is beyond me!

I'm counting on feedback shaping it up, well hoping for that. So waffling on at the moment.

Multi pack highlighters are your friend when it comes to reading the case study and teasing out useful info! I'm currently using a pink highlighter to mark up all internal stakeholders!

Worse that can happen is a resit, but unlikely given all feedbacks I would of thought. I'm feeling more positive than earlier...having written bit more, well lot...too much in fact.

I get bogged down with the details too, can't bring myself to leave stuff out.

Not sure if you could find the bpp isys textbook on ebay, but might confuse things further since they seem to do things differently.
  • richf
    Oh, and I'm doing the same case study! Got to be careful what gets discussed as nervous of being accused of cheating.
  • Christina
    Haha, yes :# keep ploughing through. When do you get the feedback from your intro?
  • richf
    Not sure, would of thought after day or two.

Handed in my proposal on a friday and got feedback on monday evening....though swear the feedback was largely generic! Maybe I bored her into just using generic stuff.
  • richf
    @Christina ,

Curious, how you getting on with project?

I have to hand in first draft a week on Monday, have been reading through and around 7500 word count...eek!

Still waiting on feedback from a couple of sections, my feedback has been taking upto a week and a half, so won't be much time to address feedback when it comes.

Planning to dump some of the project in the appendices, though tutor has asked me not to do this until after 1st draft. I may just end up deleting some stuff too.

Anyhow, hope your doing well and your brain has not exploded.

Regards
    Rich
  • Christina
    Hi @richf

Well it's 2am, and I can't sleep because I'm already a week over the deadline my Kaplan marker gave me to hand in my first draft. So I got up to try and get on with it (and came here to see if you'd posted an update lol)

Its driving me nuts!

I'm a bit P'd off tbh. My plan came back approved but saying I had only 4 weaknesses relating to the function and I needed 6. So this appears to be in addition to ethics and sustainability. Now I've read the sample reports they've given us and they are both really light and only appear to have 3 or 4 weaknesses plus ethics and sustainability!

I'm at 3700 words and not yet finished the recommendations or written the executive summary. And I haven't decided what to write about for the 6th weakness yet. So I'm going to be chopping stuff out too.

Brain not exploded yet but I think it may do by the end of the week :(

Christina
  • richf
    It has been a nightmare for me too.

Most weaknesses could be considered functional, ethical and fraud weaknesses...I'm never sure where to put things!

A lot of my feedback is to cut stuff as irrelevant, or speculative....but with case study what else can you do....then suggestions are often irrelevant to the case study!

The BPP sample isn't very extensive either, and uses different structure.

Do you need to chop before 1st draft? My tutor said to leave everything in and she'd suggest what to dump in appendix... but BPP do things differently perhaps.

My main issue is the cost-benefit analysis, I handed it in for feedback a week ago. But then realised I'd not done the right things. Will have some late nights sorting that once feedback is returned, think I need to do the analysis on different recommendations.

I'll be glad when get first draft in, I'm starting not to care about this whole thing and putting me off further studies.

Good luck!

Rich
  • Christina
    Hi Rich

I'll be chopping before submission. We're expected to send 1st draft to the marker as if it were our final.

The cost/benefit analysis is working out the cost of the recommendations you're making against the benefits (ie how much you think the business would lose from the weaknesses currently going on). I found it hard to get my head around that one but I've done a separate appendix for the amount each weakness is costing the business, and then fed those figures in as "benefits" to the cost/benefit analysis. The net amounts are the "savings" that go in to the recommendations section. Does that make sense?

This module has caused me the most anxiety by far. I'm also getting to the stage of not caring, I wish I could give up but I have to finish it. I've asked a friend to read it for me and he's told me some of my paragraphs don't make sense. It's helping to get it to a presentable position but I also feel like it's adding more pressure :anguished:

My AAT deadline for 1st submission is mid August but I need to make sure I leave enough time for feedback from my marker and to make the changes before then.

Good luck to you also :)

Christina
  • richf
    We have to have section on cost/benefit and appendix for calculations....and then it is mentioned again in the executive summary..... Looks daft to me!

My problem is I valued a lot of stuff in labour hours saved when I think I should of been estimating the value of work that could be done in the hours saved instead.
    Also for my fraud item I have put down intangible benefit whereas I should of put down in terms of reduced cost of fraud...... and estimated level of fraud I guess.... who knows!

I've forgotten when my deadline is for submission to AAT....I guess about same time as we started similar time.

I've been told it will take 3 weeks to receive feedback on this draft! Hopefully get time to deal with the feedback!

I'm doing business tax module as well so will give me time to concentrate on that in the mean time.

Regards
    Rich

• Christina
    Sounds like BPP have quite a different format to Kaplan then. I guess the best thing to do re cost/benefit is just wait for the feedback...you never know, it might be fine :)

Business tax will feel like a breath of fresh air after ISYS - back to calculations and rules lol.

Christina
  • almuni
    almuni Registered Posts: 2
    After finishing my AAT level 2&3 from Osborne Training centre i have got my first job. It was lovely environment to study, high quality tutor who were ready to help any time, advanced teaching method and helpful stuff. Course fee is reasonable as well. Thank you Osborne.
    https://www.osbornetraining.co.uk/
  • Christina
    Well done almuni! Good luck with level 4 :)
  • richf
    Well done alumni, though I'm a little suspicious of your post, as it's your first....you don't work for the Osborne training centre do you?
  • richf
    How you getting on @Christina ?
    Did you get it handed in?

I'm on the final push, pre 1st draft today.
    I'm determined to get it finished today so my wife can proof read tomorrow

Completely re-writing my cost benefit and executive summary, I'd got some things wrong, ANY mention of efficiency must be valued in terms of £...and wasn't laid out in preferred way (grrr).

Though my choice of recommendations to cost-benefit analysis was apparently ok, I'd had doubts.

And still not entirely happy with that I've addressed all previous feedback sufficiently.
    Had a strict email saying would have returned if not addressed, problem is I've got so lost with this monster project I'm not sure it is all addressed!!!!

Regards and good luck!
    Rich
  • Christina
    Hi @richf

Not handed it in yet - finished recommendations, re-reading and mapping today. Fought with Word over organisation chart and pasting Excel sheets in this afternoon :angry: - finally won ;) .

I've arranged for an uninterrupted day tomorrow B) . Still to write the executive summary but leaving that to the very last I think. Already over 4,000 words but it says on the case study between 4k and 5k so should be ok...I hope...

I'm glad your recommendations-cost/benefit analysis was ok. It looks like you're doing something right, even if it doesn't feel that way. How is it looking now? Are you ready to hand in?

I shall be so relieved once I've sent it off. On Friday I'm going away for the weekend so need it done by the middle of the week ideally :/

Christina
  • Christina
    Hi @richf how did you get on? Have you handed yours in? I've sent mine off to my marker today! 4,850ish words :/ hope there's not a lot to change.

Christina
  • richf
    Hey @Christina

Well done!

I finished studying at 4:30 am on Sunday night, was a wreck at work on Monday after been woken up at 6:00 by my kid!
    Got it handed in Monday midday after doing final read through on lunch break.

Wasn't happy with it, think it could do with at least 3 more cost benefit items...
    But my word count was 7,202! so thought best leave it for now lol.

Got a three week wait now... I'm kind of glad of the break to be honest!

I know it won't be a pass, but hopefully not too much to change, just dump stuff in appendix... or delete stuff that is not really that important perhaps.

Let me know how you get on and good luck!!

Rich
  • Larisa
    Larisa Registered Posts: 3
    Hi, I also find ISYS very difficult. It took me four weeks to write the plan and I have submitted it for marking to Kaplan today. Does anyone know know how long approximately does it take to receive the plan back from the Kaplan marker.

Many thanks and good luck everyone.
  • PaulaF69
    PaulaF69 Registered Posts: 2
    I am struggling with what to write regarding Ethical Evaluation and Sustainability Evaluation, sort of know what they mean but don't know how to apply to my case study.

Hope someone can help here thanks Paula x
  • Hat_Lady
    Hat_Lady Registered Posts: 3
    PaulaF69 said:

I am struggling with what to write regarding Ethical Evaluation and Sustainability Evaluation, sort of know what they mean but don't know how to apply to my case study.

I am so glad that I'm not alone in struggling with this. I would be overjoyed to get feedback within 3 weeks!!!! My last draft was submitted in early June and I finally got feedback yesterday, by which time I've forgotten the detail. It is my last draft before submission and I still feel entirely lost. My feedback says that I am 'not competent' in ethics and sustainability and that it is a lengthy report which I should consider shortening to focus on key points. I have no idea what is expected of me. I have included extra weaknesses so that I can meet the assessment criteria on fraud, ethics and sustainability and these are the only things I can think to lose in order to shorten it, but then I won't meet the criteria. I am using a client as the basis of my report and it says I should remove confidential figures, but how can I do a cost benefit without using figures??? I have spoken to my client and he has given me authorisation to use the figures concerned.

I listened to the webinar on the AAT website and took copious notes. I also downloaded the helpful pdf from Karen Mustard's website (thank you so much!) and the AAT's ISYS assessment Guide. I've used these, along with the Osborne book to try and include more ethics and sustainability, but I've no idea if I've done enough. I've applied it where I can (which I did prior to this latest submission), so have added generic content about them in order to try and make it 'competent' in these areas, ie to make it sound like I know what is meant by ethics and sustainability. Do you think that is what they're after?

I have just finished updating my final draft but it is still 5628 words long despite my having spent the last two hours précising it. Glad it's not 7200 though, like Rich's!

I really am at breaking point over it! I've completed all my exams and this is all I have left to do. I'm too scared to upload it as I really don't want it to fail and have to start the whole process again! But I have no more options regarding feedback, so will have to take the plunge at some point - once I can get it below the word limit.
    Here endth my rant!!
  • Hat_Lady
    Hat_Lady Registered Posts: 3
    Sorry, one question, does anyone know if I need to upload my proposal along with the final report, feedback reports and client's authenticity?
    Thanks
  • Christina
    edited July 2015
    Larisa said:

Hi, I also find ISYS very difficult. It took me four weeks to write the plan and I have submitted it for marking to Kaplan today. Does anyone know know how long approximately does it take to receive the plan back from the Kaplan marker.

Many thanks and good luck everyone.

Hi @Larisa

I'm doing mine with Kaplan. I got the feedback from my plan within a few days, and from my 1st draft in about 10 days.

Good luck.

Christina
  • Christina
    PaulaF69 said:

Hi @PaulaF69

Have you looked at the mapping document? Sections 4 and 5 tell you what to cover. I found it useful to print off the AAT Code of Ethics and review against that. Sustainability is about social, corporate and environmental issues. Hope this helps, good luck.

Christina
  • Christina
    @Hat_Lady Are you able to contact the assessor for more detailed feedback? Can you employ Rich's tactic of dumping some stuff in the appendices? I don't think you can map solely to an appendix but can some supporting information go there? A bit odd about the figures but as mine is based on a case study nearly all my figures are estimates.

I've agonised for hours (days even) over mine, it's been awful. However, I've paid a lot of money to get this far and I'm hoping Kaplan will live up to their claim that the majority of reports are competent on 2nd draft.

I now have feedback from my 1st draft and I am so relieved there is hardly anything to change. Some of my mapping was wrong as I'd mapped to sub-headings (thinking I'd mapped to whole sections) rather than paragraphs, and I didn't cost/benefit one of my weaknesses.

After feeling like I had information overload at the beginning, I can see now where that information is/has been useful. So I'm tentatively recommending Kaplan - just got to see if my 2nd draft is fully competent.

Christina
Privacy Policy