Getting a first role within finance.

DCF1984
DCF1984 Registered Posts: 2
Hey,

I am sure this has been covered before, so I apologise in advance.

At present I am at a loss as to how to find my first full-time role within accountancy.

I'm 33 with no accountancy experience.

Could you guys shed some light on how you managed to land your first role?

Is there a magic formula? I know that's ridiculous to ask, but I feel like pulling my hair out.

My interest lays within both the financial, and management side of the profession.

Thank you

Comments

• CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    edited November 2016
    DCF,

I haven't got time to write a full-blown response at the moment; however I have covered this in the past, if you use the search function you should be able to track down a few of my posts (and those of others) on the subject.

In short - good CV, identify and sell your transferable skills (that make you stand out against say a graduate straight from university), investigate local practices and target your CV/covering letter to the HR partner/manager ideally, or if they don't have one, the managing partner (personal touch goes a long way - if you need to, phone them and ask who the relevant person is). Beyond that, persistence.

Industry I'm afraid I have no direct experience of.

Recruitment agents may be useful if you can find a good one - I did get an interview and a suitable job offer out of one when I was starting out.

Others have found that a few months volunteer work (eg. books for a local charity) helps to get the first paid position.

Apply speculatively to practices - if they're already advertising a position, they will likely have a large number of applicants. If they're thinking about new hires but haven't yet done anything about it, and a CV lands on their desk, you have no competition at that stage.
  • DCF1984
    DCF1984 Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your response, it is appreciated.
  • magdapaczoska
    magdapaczoska Registered Posts: 27
    I had similar problem I was looking for first job in accounting but had just few unsuccessful interviews.. then I decided to do some voluntary job.. I got part time internship in Finance Department and after 3 months I started looking for some paid position. The unexpected happend - I found the job in different company and when I Iet know that I am finishing internship they asked me to stay and offered me paid full time position ☺☺☺ so I could choose and I stayed in the previous company. it was difficult to work for free but definitely worth it..you can do some part time internship and something else to get some money.
    good luck!
Privacy Policy