ISYS PROJECT

Hi All,

Can somebody give me some advice on where/how to start the ISYS project. I'd ideally like to get this submitted by the end of October however I'm finding it hard to get started. I am doing the Chic Paints case study and have identified a weakness with the payroll system but I can't identify a weakness with any of the other control systems and I don't feel as thought I can write enough on the one system alone.

If anyone is able to give me any advice based on personal or just general experience then that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• rvs29
    rvs29 Registered Posts: 76
    hi @jordancurtis96 , i completed the project on Chic Paints Ltd and also did my weakness around payroll. I wrote plenty, and in fact, wrote too much!

What I did, and what I would suggest is printing out the case study, and reading thoroughly through the payroll section highlighting anything that you can write about. I.e, pay packets handed out in person (what are the disadvantages e.g. pay packets going missing/stolen). Pay packets handed out in person also means there needs to be cash available (think about who is authorised to collect the cash? Do they work part time? When are wages paid? What if they are sick - employees do not get wages on time). (What if money withdrawn from the bank to pay wages goes missing?) - Think about ethical principles here.

You can also find weaknesses relating to payroll in other areas. Read and highlight info about the managers/employers of Chic Paints - i.e. Payroll Clerk etc.

I hope the above helps!
    Personally, I found the project easy and actually really enjoyed it. Just hoping to pass my cash management resit before 31 December otherwise my project cannot be rolled over to AQ2016! :(

AAT Level 3 - May 2016
    AAT Level 4 - December 2017
  • jordancurtis96
    jordancurtis96 Registered Posts: 7
    rvs29 said:

hi @jordancurtis96 , i completed the project on Chic Paints Ltd and also did my weakness around payroll. I wrote plenty, and in fact, wrote too much!

What I did, and what I would suggest is printing out the case study, and reading thoroughly through the payroll section highlighting anything that you can write about. I.e, pay packets handed out in person (what are the disadvantages e.g. pay packets going missing/stolen). Pay packets handed out in person also means there needs to be cash available (think about who is authorised to collect the cash? Do they work part time? When are wages paid? What if they are sick - employees do not get wages on time). (What if money withdrawn from the bank to pay wages goes missing?) - Think about ethical principles here.

You can also find weaknesses relating to payroll in other areas. Read and highlight info about the managers/employers of Chic Paints - i.e. Payroll Clerk etc.

I hope the above helps!
    Personally, I found the project easy and actually really enjoyed it. Just hoping to pass my cash management resit before 31 December otherwise my project cannot be rolled over to AQ2016! :(

Thanks for the reply! I'll have a look at doing this tonight, you've given me a lot more to focus on now!

Which section of the project is the best to start with?

P.S good luck with the exam! I just got my result from credit control and passed that one so I'm just waiting to complete the case study my final assessment (wish I got this done earlier)

Thanks again :)
  • rvs29
    No worries!

The way I did it was to start with a plan and submit it to my marker who gave feedback on it. Once the plan is good enough, the marker will tell you to start writing your report - which you would then submit for final marking, which is submitted to AAT.

If you haven't got a marker who gives you feedback and you are uploading the project on your own, then I would strongly advise on doing a plan, so you know what to write in your report and you can reflect back to it so you don't forget anything.
    The plan consists of - an overview of the business in general (e.g. staff, turnover, how big is the business), overview of the accounts department, financial statements they use and why. You then lead on to analyzing the area which needs to be reviewed of your choice - in your case this is payroll? You need to look at strengths and weaknesses across that whole department (think about training, sufficient office equipment etc).
    I am sure you can find a plan template on google if you search ISYS Project Plan Example.

I was sent a success criteria which helped cover all of the points on the plan. The report I then literally expanded on my plan in further details. Also giving recommendations of how to improve the area in review, and how much it would cost (i.e. possible training?) You also need to think about how much the weaknesses could cost the business - i.e. loss of profit due to ethical reasons? Make sure you include calculations on how you worked out the costs - this is totally made up so there is not right or wrong answer, they just want to see you turn a strength into a possible saving for the business, and a weakness into a possible loss for the business.
    With those calculations, calculate an overall amount which you would save in the department in review - as this is what they want to see.

Once you get started, you will be able to think of more.

I am also waiting for my credit control result, but felt the exam went really well, so I am feeling confident :)
    Did you sit cash management?
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • jordancurtis96
    jordancurtis96 Registered Posts: 7
    rvs29 said:

No worries!

The way I did it was to start with a plan and submit it to my marker who gave feedback on it. Once the plan is good enough, the marker will tell you to start writing your report - which you would then submit for final marking, which is submitted to AAT.

If you haven't got a marker who gives you feedback and you are uploading the project on your own, then I would strongly advise on doing a plan, so you know what to write in your report and you can reflect back to it so you don't forget anything.
    The plan consists of - an overview of the business in general (e.g. staff, turnover, how big is the business), overview of the accounts department, financial statements they use and why. You then lead on to analyzing the area which needs to be reviewed of your choice - in your case this is payroll? You need to look at strengths and weaknesses across that whole department (think about training, sufficient office equipment etc).
    I am sure you can find a plan template on google if you search ISYS Project Plan Example.

I was sent a success criteria which helped cover all of the points on the plan. The report I then literally expanded on my plan in further details. Also giving recommendations of how to improve the area in review, and how much it would cost (i.e. possible training?) You also need to think about how much the weaknesses could cost the business - i.e. loss of profit due to ethical reasons? Make sure you include calculations on how you worked out the costs - this is totally made up so there is not right or wrong answer, they just want to see you turn a strength into a possible saving for the business, and a weakness into a possible loss for the business.
    With those calculations, calculate an overall amount which you would save in the department in review - as this is what they want to see.

Once you get started, you will be able to think of more.

I am also waiting for my credit control result, but felt the exam went really well, so I am feeling confident :)
    Did you sit cash management?

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to crack on with it this weekend and see how much of this I can get done!

Best of luck with the credit control result, I sat personal tax right at the beginning of my level 4 course and failed so I had to resit in December last year which I thankfully passed!
  • rvs29
    no worries :) and thanks!!
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • smadge2017
    smadge2017 Registered Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am also doing the payroll system but I am just drawing a blank when it comes to thinking of any strengths for the SWOT. Could anyone offer any advice?
  • rvs29
    Hi @smadge2017 you need to broaden your trail of thinking. Think outside the box.

1. Think about what qualifications the payroll clerk has, how does this help them? Does it give them more knowledge?
    2. How many people carry out the payroll function/duties? Does this minimise risk of errors or mistakes?
    3. Does the payroll clerk backup data? If so, when, how? What does this mean? Less risk of fraud??

I hope this has helped and given you a few hints or more ideas of what sort of things you can think about.
    You can literally write anything as a strength, as long as there is evidence in the case study to prove this is correct.
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • smadge2017
    smadge2017 Registered Posts: 4
    Hi @rvs29,
    This has definitely helped. Thank you :).
  • rvs29
    No worries @smadge2017 , I'm glad its helped!

Good luck with your submission!
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
Privacy Policy