Reasons for not wanting to go to the work Xmas do!

Not AAT related...but people on this forum are good at replying to things so hoping I will get some advice!

I am not going to my works Xmas do this year (because I just don't want to), but when they ask why, what is a good excuse?
I have already used a family occasion to miss an event this year.
Nice people, Just boring and no sense of humor. Just not the people I would want tot socialize with outside of work.

Any advice??
AAT Level 3 - May 2016
AAT Level 4 - December 2017

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Haha - great topic =) I also am not really over excited about our Xmas do, it sounds miserable but am actually looking forward to the break partly just to be away from some of the people. I don't think you should need to make an excuse just 'I can't make it' should be good enough, what you do in your own time is really
    your own business IMHO.

The reality is however it is not quiteso easy, if your colleagues are anything like mine - some like nothing more than to gossip (which I cannot stand). I think the family excuse which worked before should hopefully work again ? Seems reasonable to me....
  • crispy
    Very funny Mick, I think the last one sums up exactly how I feel and maybe a touch of the first =)
  • rvs29
    rvs29 Registered Posts: 76
    @crispy haha I'm glad someone likes this topic!!
    Don't get me wrong, I love going out but couldn't think of anything worse...especially with what they are planning on doing!!!!!

@Mickdundee hahaha BRILLIANT!!!! I think 'I'm washing my hair that night' is definitely a viable excuse!

Actually, all of them are absolutely brilliant, but would also love to keep my job haha!

I think the best approach would be to stick to 'I won't be attending' and just leave it at that. And if they keep asking why, I will just say "it's not for me" :)

Thanks for your help guys, definitely made my Tuesday morning a bit better with the responses
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    edited November 2017
    I didn't like the pudding on the menu (this was considered a fairly weak excuse tbh but am still not going). I'll be possibly the only person in the office for a couple of hours (someone has to be around in case the Oracle system goes down).

I don't like gatherings of 20+ people around multiple (or less likely one large) table(s). Currently work in a team of around 10 people but part of a larger one which seems to include far far more, close to 30, which also limits the meal venue to some larger corporate shhh chain and not somewhere nicer.

I'm eating turkey right now. With the growth in Chinese restaurants and popups in Cambridge, particularly around Regent St there is far more choice for an interesting meal
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Honestly! Listen to you all complaining!

I will have my own Christmas party listening to Celine Dion "All by myself" in front of my computer.
    I might indulge in a mince pie.
  • rvs29
    As I said above....I love a good party, just not with these people, or what they are planning on doing!! :s
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • crispy
    Sorry if this sounds grumpy, cerainly haven't always felt like this but do I really want to spend anymore time around certain people who I genuinely do not like ? - well no, not really.
    Can't wait for the week's break and start of new year for maybe a new challenge or change of direction. My confidence is currently feeling pretty low and am wondering what the current employment market was like ? A change of scenery may cheer my mood up.
    Hey a mince pie in front of the computer doesn't sound so bad, may even join you haha =)

• BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Did someone say Christmas???

I can't wait for my Christmas work do. It's on Friday next week, I organised it this year.

Today the secret santa bag went in the cupboard ready for it to be filled!

@MarieNoelle I will be your plus one, I will sing with you. @Mickdundee you want to come? That makes three... I think that is a sensible amount for alcohol and singing to be worthwhile! :)

I have my Christmas dinner party the week after next.

Christmas movie night after that.

Christmas day!!!!!!!

I am super excited.... can you tell?
    B x
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I WANT TO MOVE TO DEVON!!!!!
  • rvs29
    ME TOO I LOVE CHRISTMAS MOVIE NIGHTS!!!

I cannot wait for Christmas I love it!!! (minus work parties!)

Mmm a mince pie sounds great...a bit of brandy butter won't go a miss!!
    AAT Level 3 - May 2016
  • mcchoc
    mcchoc Registered, Tutor Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    How about dotting fake cold sores around your mouth, and saying that you can't wait to give everyone a festive snog?

You'll find you're the only one at the party, and get to scoff all the food and drink.

Result!
  • mergen
    mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
    @Mickdundee where do you work at a zoo? :)
  • mcchoc
    Mickdundee - you should be used to that, with that stale croc breath in yer face, mate
  • mcchoc
    Mickdundee -you should be used to that, with that stale croc breath in yer face, mate
  • mergen
    looks like there is an echo in here :)
  • crispy
    That's funny as we too have some snakes, a wolf and another foul creature of what I could only describe as some sort of Hyena - horrible ! - I try to avoid that thing whenever possible.....
  • mcchoc
    Sorry about that Mergen - just so used to double entry . .
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    "I'm washing my hair" - I know that's a terribly old clichéd excuse, but I'm really tempted to try it to get me out of my firm's Xmas do as well...

(do you think the fact I've been bald since my teens would affect my credibility any? xD)
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • mergen
    @KoopaCooper just say you have to get your prostate checked, since you have been balding
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    Lol thanks guys - I am actually completely bald nowadays (that photo is 10 years ago, and other issues have come up so I'm now totally shaved anyway), but I started to lose it at 14, so....

Yeah...
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
Privacy Policy