Should AAT membership designation letters be changed?

Options
David Ballantyne
David Ballantyne Registered Posts: 105 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

Just ruminating on AAT designation letters while my daughter is in her ballet class.

I have always thought that AAT membership designation letters are a bit cumbersome, i.e. MAAT, FMAAT, AATQB. Do they really need to have so many letters in them?

How about AT for full members, AT(F) or ATF for fellow members and ATB for an AATQB (the 'B' standing for bookkeeper).

Succinct and to the point without overstatement, like CA or ACA.

Just a thought.

Didn't post this in the members section because I don't have access to it yet.

David.
David Ballantyne
Connect with me on LinkedIn!
Ballantyne Accountants

Comments

• Cheesypeesy
    Cheesypeesy Registered Posts: 101
    Options
    My main gripe is how they translate. For example, AATQB is AAT Qualified Bookkeeper, makes sense. But then MAAT stands for Full Member of AAT. Where does the 'Full' come from exactly? By that logic, FMAAT should be Fellow Full Member of AAT. What a mouthful! :p

MAAT could just be something like AATFM (AAT Full Member), and FMAAT could be AATSM (AAT Senior Member?). Just spit-balling some suggestions.

If AAT could find a way to make the letters and titles consistent I think it could make things more straightforward.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • David Ballantyne
    Options
    Hi Matthew,

I see what you mean although I was trying to think of ways to reduce the number of letters.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that professional bodies designations should be as minimal as possible, otherwise it seems that they are trying too hard to impress.
    David Ballantyne
    Ballantyne Accountants
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I was glad to get mine shortened when I changed careers. Before I had MPharmTech.

I do see your point but It doesn't bother me that much.
    Regards,

Burg
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Options
    burg said:

I was glad to get mine shortened when I changed careers. Before I had MPharmTech.

I do see your point but It doesn't bother me that much.

And it bothers the clients even less! ;)
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would prefer to see them get rid of the "technician" bit (I'm not too fussed about the number of letters)

e.g. Association of Accounting Professionals (AAP) or Association of Accounting Advisers (AAA) or Association of Accounting Consultants (AAC)

Then the professional body letters would be AAP or AAA or AAC, (or FAAP or FAAA or FAAC for fellows)
  • David Ballantyne
    Options
    I agree clients don't care.

If we are going to change the name of the AAT, how about working the word "accountant" into it? Anyone for Association of Technician Accountants!
    David Ballantyne
    Ballantyne Accountants
Privacy Policy