Stressing 1st exam

hi folks having a major meltdown 1st exam nxt wk & feel like im nowhere ready, when will this all click to me :( i have so much going of in my personal life and this studying i felt would keep my mind focused on something else.

Any revision tips would b great? took some assements 1st hand without doing any recap and they were all red!

Comments

• thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    change the exam date if you're not ready
    AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
  • LeapyUK
    LeapyUK Registered Posts: 34
    Hello Billie.

I did my first exam yesterday on Bookkeeping Transactions and scored 97%.

Read over the theory and understand it but my advice is to keep taking practice assessments and go over the answers afterwards and see where you went wrong. You’ll gain an insight into the sorts of questions that the real exam asks you.

I did about 14 mock exams in total. Exam practice is key!

Good luck!
  • billie38
    billie38 Registered Posts: 4
    thank u leapyuk
  • KLM
    KLM Registered Posts: 25
    Hi Billie

I sat and passed both the Bookkeeping Transactions and Bookkeeping Controls last week.

My biggest tip would be to practice as much as possible. Have another read through your study materials and make use of the AAT study resources; I found the Green Light Tests were great for showing where I needed to focus my revision. Also, as LeapyUK mentioned, do as many mock exams as you can to familiarise yourself with the questions. Good luck!
  • Annie76
    Annie76 Registered Posts: 3
    LeapyUK were those 14 different mock exams and if so where did you find them please? I've only seen the practise assessments 1 and 2 on AAT site. Thanks, Annie
  • LeapyUK
    Hi Annie.

I took Level 2 at College, so my tutor printed off many past mocks for practise on paper (Kaplan, BPP and Osborne mocks). They have access to plenty of study material for students.

Practicing mocks makes perfect! You can probably search for practice exams online, there will be study material about.

I got 97%, 97%, 100%, 100% and 96% across Level 2.

I have my first Level 3 exam on Thursday.

Spent my Sunday today practising mocks in the library.

Good luck!

Lee
  • lorraine frame
    lorraine frame Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Don't sit it until you feel ready (hard when you are so anxious about exams anyway!) you will only feel worse if you don't pass it, although it will allow you an excuse for not passing it.
    Practice mocks all the time books and online until you have exhausted them all then sit it.
    Good Luck and you will get there, unfortunately life does have a habit of getting in the way!
    until then good luck with your exams and personal life Xx
  • Jacko12383
    Jacko12383 Registered Posts: 3
    got my first in 2 weeks. some good advice on here :)
  • LeapyUK
    Good luck Jacko!

I managed to get 91% on the Advanced Bookkeeping module on Level 3.

Onto Final Accounts Preparation now.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming exams!

Lee
  • Pian32
    Pian32 Registered Posts: 474 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I think the best advice I can give is don't panic. Everything you do in the exam you should have covered if you're learning through a teaching provider. (I found the osborne books covered everything I needed).

If you get a question that looks completely different from what you know use scrap paper and write down the key information, you'll probably find that without the excess information you get in the wordier questions what you need to do will pop out.

The other method is to say what do I need to get and how can I get it almost ignoring the information until you've worked out what you want and then looking specifically for that information.
    AAT Level 4, MAAT
    ACCA in progress
    F4- Passed Aug 2020
    F5- Passed Dec 2020
    F6- Passed Sep 2020
    F7- Passed June 2021
    F8 - Passed Sep 2021
    F9 - Passed June 2021

SBL -
    SBR - Passed Mar 22
    ATX - Passed Dec 21
    APM - Passed June 22