Can't get Accounting job without experience

yasb
yasb Registered Posts: 1
I am currently studying AAT part time at Kaplan Financial , but can't get a job in my chosen field of accountancy because I lack experience – yet I cannot afford to take an apprenticeships. I have always wanted to pursue a career in accounting. I had to take a six years’ career break because of financial problem I couldn’t able to study further. I am keen to progress in the accountancy world and am keen to improve my skills and further my professional development, while continue studying AAT.

I feel it is time to move into an accounting position. I have around six years’ of work experience in retail and seven months’ as a Purchase Ledger clerk, and this seems to be a major stumbling block. I am applying for jobs all over the London but no one will consider me without experience. I cannot gain experience until someone gives me a chance. For someone in their early 30s it is really not a viable option financially to take on an apprenticeships.

I believe that my work experience and current qualification, together with my knowledge and expertise, would make me an asset within any organisation. I feel I am academically qualified for an entry level position in accounts payable or as a purchase ledger clerk but no one will take the risk.

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Hi,

You need to write, or have someone write for you a solid CV, within this CV you must relate every job you've ever had to accountancy - use every transferable skill you have.

Having seven months experience as a Purchase Ledger Clerk is a hell of alot longer than most new to accountancy.

I can not emphasise enough, you need a solid CV.

Yes you are qualified, if you've completed the entire syllabus, but you're coming up against candidates who are fresh out of University.

Use your life experiences to your advantage, situations that in most cases younger folk have not experienced.

There are charity positions available which would only take up a couple of hours per week on an evening.

Other than that you just need a little luck.

For what it is worth, I'd much sooner employ someone who is older. But that older person has to accept they will be on a salary and be given the duties of the younger Accounts Assistant.

It is tough out there - don't give up.

Good luck.

• sjtoomer
    sjtoomer Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    yasb said:

I can't get a job in my chosen field of Accountancy, because I lack experience. I have always wanted to pursue a career in Accounting.

Me too.
    yasb said:

I am applying for jobs all over, but no one will consider me without experience. I cannot gain experience until someone gives me a chance. I believe that my work experience and current qualification, together with my knowledge and expertise, would make me an asset within any organisation. I feel I am academically qualified for an entry level position in Accounts Payable or as a Purchase Ledger Clerk, but no one will take the risk.

Exactly what I am finding. Employers seem to want it all ways, from the wording of their job adverts, i.e. they want to employ somebody who is both qualified and experienced, for a low wage, not just in an entry-level job, which is not right either way IMHO. I have also noticed that a noticeable proportion of the jobs keep getting re-advertised, so obviously employers are not finding what they want, either because their demands are un-realistic for the wage offered or because the people who have the experience that they want are already employed elsewhere and do not want to change. It seems, when it comes down to it, employers value experience more than qualifications, which is incorrectly barring people who are qualified but not experienced yet from being able to get (experience in) a job. Employers need to willing to take the risk to employ people who are qualified but not experienced, since experience can only be gained whilst working on-the-job. I was hoping to not have these old problems, trying to enter the Accounting/Finance sector; I did not think that there would be so many qualified people and I thought that my AAT Qualifications (AAT L2 & L3 Book-Keeping) would get my foot in the door of a company's accounts department. I have been applying for 6 months solid now, with no joy.
  • Freddyness
    Freddyness Registered Posts: 3
    edited August 2022
    I got in to an entry level job this year, the wording on my CV made a world of Difference.

for instance here is how you would bulk out a store assistants role to match accountancy:

"Within this role, I am handling all payments/Receipts of cash, Processing Returns & Sales as well as updating cash registers along with other accounting financial transactions. This includes calculating money in cash draws at the beginning/end of shifts, organising the till and ensuring that adequate balance/change is available."

I hope this makes sense & helps you in the future.
  • DannyGreen
    DannyGreen Registered Posts: 3
    I thought the same thing 9 months ago!

I can 100% vouch that having a solid CV is essential. I contacted an accountancy recruiter and he helped me tailor my CV to accountancy as I wasn’t get any responses to my applications. He help me to emphasise my duties that involved any form of bookkeeping/accountancy related work.

Once this was done I started getting replies and interviews, and eventually a job!
  • sjtoomer
    Good for you. Which agency/recruiter did you use to amend your CV? Can you give a web-link or an e-mail address? I live in East Yorkshire.
  • DannyGreen
    DannyGreen Registered Posts: 3
    I will DM you his LinkedIn
  • sjtoomer
    Cheers, DannyGreen.
  • sjtoomer

I will DM you his LinkedIn

Hi DannyGreen. I contacted that guy, but her never replied to me. So, I guess I'm on my own...
Privacy Policy