pcr - does anyone else think this was a horrible exam!!

Options

Comments

• miri123
    miri123 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I got that as well but was not sure how many hours to put for them in the labour buddget as the question said that they : will also work a standard 480-hour quarter...
  • tre4sgal
    tre4sgal Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I feel sorry for the markers think they will have their work cut out!
  • phoebe
    phoebe Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    were fixed overheads supposed to be charged to the total production cost?? wasn't clear whether they were fixed PRODUCTION overheads or other fixed overheads! did the production o/hs x labour hours then added the fixed as well but not at all sure!

i got 16 agency staff for qtr1 and 3 for qtr 4- wasn't sure whether they were on fixed contracts- 480 hrs per month (eg guaranteed wage of 480 x £20) or whether we could just pay them for the hours they worked. wasn't clear. also did you get max overtime in 2nd part as 3000 hours which was less than we used in qtr 1 in the first part??

never heard of rolling budgets!

on part 2 got a big favourable varience for turnover then all the rest were adverse except 2 i think - transport and depreciation?? but ended up with a favourable overall varience.

all in all was so hard to know what the examiner wanted and wording was very unclear. oh well, roll on december!

x
  • Ozzy
    Ozzy Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    tre4sgal wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the markers think they will have their work cut out!

I hope they wont think ahhh not another 1.2 flunk, then think fail fail fail

:001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure:
  • phoebe
    Options
    miri 123 - looks like u had the same querie regarding the hrs for the temps. wasted soo much time due to the poorly worded questions its just not fair! revised so hard and i know that any extra revision wouldn't have helped me any more- it was all down to strangely worded questions!!
    x
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    wasn't it prod. budget you were supposed to redraft? I had it like this

Q1
    Sales 15300

os (306)

closing stock -

Production 10,000 (15000 /1.5)

wastage (50)

shortfall 5044 units

then 5044 x 1.5 hours per unit = 7566 hours of subbies???

then carried on for next three q's?
  • Ozzy
    Options
    I got 3000 Hours also then applied them to the workings and worked out how much hows we still needed to cover for the production but didnt state whether or how much agency staff where still needed, i just quoted this as a £(figure) by minusing out.... Dam i was on the right lines, hopefully they will allow us a little lee-way as alot of people in my class where angry at question 1.2!
  • phoebe
    Options
    SONNY L - that all rings a bell!
    x
  • twix
    twix Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    i thought the pcr was awful too. My section 1.2 was dreadful, so confused with re doing production and hours. Really unsure on what to do not laid out very well. Completely forgot to say how many staff we're required, but did waffle on about extra staff in report to directors. section 2 was nice just hope managed to scrape through in section 1.
  • kateyrelrelundercom!
    kateyrelrelundercom! Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Horrible Horrible Horrible PCR

:crying:I have never felt so gutted, I have revised until I started seeing double. What was section 1 all about? I keep thinking, maybe it didn't happen, and I will wake up in a minute! It didn't resemble anything that is in my course folder, or thats in the past papers. I flew through section 2, as this has been presented to my class as flexible budgeting version 2, and we have all learned the method. I really think it is unfair to everyone to change so much, its almost like the examinar is trying to see how many things you can change about an exam in one sitting! I stayed right till the end, which is the first time I have had to do that, Ive passed all my previous papers first time, but I am confident that I wont be passing this one!!! Whats gutting too, is the wordy questions, have not been covered in my lessons either, but I wasn't too worried, as I had done so much revision on the number crunching!!!! feel very demotivated, and like I've been 'I dont know' a bit ripped off?
  • twix
    twix Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    pcr exam

Dreadful section 1 so confusing, got really confused in section 2.1, completely forgot to say how many extra staff we're required. Did waffle needing extra staff in quarter 1 and 4 so hopefully may have redeemed myself a little. Spoke to about 7-8 people after exam all thought it was awful. Thankfully section 2 was nicer. Just hope managed to scrape through.

This will give the assessors a bit of head ache trying to sort all this out. :confused1:
  • Jamie F
    Jamie F Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Section i was a joke, think the AAT pride themselves on making our lives a misery.

What is the point in doing all the past papers when everything in this exam was like a cryptic challenge?!

1.2 you just didnt know what they wanted and then from that you had to almost predict for 1.3!
  • coocoocadgoo
    coocoocadgoo Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    mehmet wrote: »
    Yeah, because past papers haven't had a production budget, a revised production budget, a report about the revised production budget, followed by a flexed budget, explanation of variances and a short answer question. :glare:

Personally, I thought the exam was OK. A bit harder than previous exams, but not exceptionally so. Task 1.2 was a little different to what normally comes up, but had enough information to understand what was going on.

You know, Mehmet, reading your posts on here in the past few weeks you really do come across as quite self-important and arrogant. It seems you find nothing difficult (good for you) and don't understand why people have struggled. I was surprised to see yesterday that you have taken your exams this time round because the way you talk, it's as if you are the final authority on all things AAT!
    But obviously congratulations are in order because you had definitely passed - if only you could share and spread your confidence around other people here, rather than rubbing their worried noses in it.
  • LouLou143
    LouLou143 Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    You know, Mehmet, reading your posts on here in the past few weeks you really do come across as quite self-important and arrogant. It seems you find nothing difficult (good for you) and don't understand why people have struggled. I was surprised to see yesterday that you have taken your exams this time round because the way you talk, it's as if you are the final authority on all things AAT!
    But obviously congratulations are in order because you had definitely passed - if only you could share and spread your confidence around other people here, rather than rubbing their worried noses in it.

You go! Fair play on saying that.....have thought about that too!
  • flame engine
    flame engine Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    laurenw wrote: »
    Apparently that is the correct answer (looked on the net). Shame i didnt put that tho lol.
    Didn't know what a rolling budget was either. Never heard of it or departmental budget. I decided they did exactly what they said on the tin, and waffled on about data rolling over to next period, and a budget for each department.
  • confused!!
    confused!! Registered Posts: 130 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    LouLou143 wrote: »
    You go! Fair play on saying that.....have thought about that too!

I dont want to be mean - but I almost said the same myself once or twice!! :001_smile:
  • Han
    Han Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Originally Posted by coocoocadgoo

Hi five coocoocadgoo
    :thumbup:
  • LouLou143
    Options
    confused!! wrote: »
    I dont want to be mean - but I almost said the same myself once or twice!! :001_smile:

Too right....didn't do PCR (luckily took it in Dec) but wanted to read all the posts...and his post stood out the most! Never have I come on here saying it was easy, you should do this do that.....everyone learns differently and people take to some things more than others!
  • LouLou143
    Options
    speegs wrote: »
    Here here coocoocadgoo

Mehmet is a big headed know it all.

Hey Mehmet I have an idea. Why don't you become a tutor? Oh no! YOu can't. No-one would go to classes. Oh well. Congratulations on passing you exam today.

Laugh if he fails!!
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Here here coocoocadgoo

Mehmet is a big headed know it all.

Hey Mehmet I have an idea. Why don't you become a tutor? Oh no! YOu can't. No-one would go to classes. Oh well. Congratulations on passing you exam today.
  • Don
    Don Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi all - Horrible horrible paper. Think AAT will have to lower pass mark. Just thought I would share a couple of answers I got that I can remember. Task 1, I got 7 agency workers for q1 and 1 agency worker for q4. Alot of q4's 20,400 sales were made up of q2 and q3's buffer stock right ?
    Who got around 14 million for the cost of production when first worked out in 1.1 ??
    Section 2 I got the variance of operating profit at around 163 favourable I believe. £550,000 fixed costs using lower method for power, and £0.63 per unit variable for power.

Just thought I would share :) Still think I have failed though.
  • Nimrod
    Nimrod Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options

I think you've been a little unfair to Mehmet who just gives an opinion which is fair enough.... However, I disagree with Mehmet quite strongly with regards to the clarity of the exam. There were a couple of areas of section one that were lacking in clarity in my honest opinion. I'm not one to complain about marginal topics / new types of question etc. However I think the examiner has let us down with some ill conceived questions. I wonder what any tutors out there think?
  • Ozzy
    Options
    Don wrote: »
    Hi all - Horrible horrible paper. Think AAT will have to lower pass mark. Just thought I would share a couple of answers I got that I can remember. Task 1, I got 7 agency workers for q1 and 1 agency worker for q4. Alot of q4's 20,400 sales were made up of q2 and q3's buffer stock right ?
    Who got around 14 million for the cost of production when first worked out in 1.1 ??
    Section 2 I got the variance of operating profit at around 163 favourable I believe. £550,000 fixed costs using lower method for power, and £0.63 per unit variable for power.

Just thought I would share :) Still think I have failed though.

That sounds right to me Don, Hope they lower the pass mark :(
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Nimrod wrote: »
    I think you've been a little unfair to Mehmet who just gives an opinion which is fair enough.... However, I disagree with Mehmet quite strongly with regards to the clarity of the exam. There were a couple of areas of section one that were lacking in clarity in my honest opinion. I'm not one to complain about marginal topics / new types of question etc. However I think the examiner has let us down with some ill conceived questions. I wonder what any tutors out there think?
    We are not being hard on Mehmet, we are merely stating that more often than not, he has come across as unhelpful and upsets a lot of people by rubbing their noses in his glory.
  • mehmet
    mehmet Registered Posts: 113 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'm sorry if I come across as arrogant. I just get tired of people moaning about exams/examiners. They don't write papers to make people fail. They write papers that are designed to test you. OK, the situation in task 1.2 of today's PCR and the question's you had to answer were a lot different to what normally comes up, but I don't think it was completely unclear as to what you were being asked to do. Maybe I just found it that way because most of what I cover in AAT I find I pick up quite quickly, which is of course very fortunate for myself. I'll try and reserve my comments in the future.
  • Ozzy
    Options

I know everyone has different answers and ironically different opinions but whats done is done, we have to just wait and see..

Have a good day people (on goes my new Coldplay Album) :thumbup1:
  • confused!!
    confused!! Registered Posts: 130 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Exactly, we all come on here to get support from one another, not trying to get one up on one another!!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    At the end of the day, we have all been in the same boat this week and a little support would not go amiss. It seems to me that 144 posts have been made on PCR in this thread alone. Ok, some have been from returning contributors but surely the general consenus is that there was something amiss with this particular question and surely the wording could have been better/clearer. We all have strong points but, when it comes down to post-exam diagnosis, we all need to reassure ourselves that we are not mad, we did not imagine somehting and we can then get on and enjoy the 2 month wait for the results. I believe certain contributors have been a bit harsh in this thread (and others) and should hope to all that is precious to them that their arrogance does not come back to bite them in the 4rse!
  • Finlaysdad
    Finlaysdad Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    wasn't it prod. budget you were supposed to redraft? I had it like this

Q1
    Sales 15300

os (306)

closing stock -

Production 10,000 (15000 /1.5)

wastage (50)

shortfall 5044 units

then 5044 x 1.5 hours per unit = 7566 hours of subbies???

then carried on for next three q's?

Thats how I did it....for what its worth!

I thought the exam was ok but a lot harder than the past papers.

Regarding the idle time, if we were in the "real" work place , I don't know anywhere that has unpaid idle time anymore, I don't think its legal anymore.

Well thats what I based my answers on anyway!
  • Nimrod
    Nimrod Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    If Mehmet has done well good for him... He's obviously a wind up merchant - you shouldn't rise to his bait. Mehmet might be a self proclaimed 'guru' but I know I'm only interested in the opinion of people like Sandy Hood who make plentiful and most tellingly helpful contributions to the forum.

Bottom line is you shouldn't let Mehmet wind you up... He's entitled to an opinion even if we don't agree with it or even particularly respect it.
Privacy Policy