PTC silly mistakes :(

Comments

• andrea1802
    andrea1802 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    NBB wrote: »
    Andrea you got the years right which was 6 but the taper relief was 80% just checked the chart thingy!! you would have put 80% when you looked at the chart!!!
    thanks for that, you start to doubt yourselve.
  • NBB
    NBB Registered Posts: 125 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    andrea1802 wrote: »
    thanks for that, you start to doubt yourselve.

I know but you shouldn't whether 78% (for example) of people get the same answers does not mean that this is the correct answer, no one knows whether it is right or wrong until the answers come out.

So think positive as positive things happen to positive people hehe xx
  • NBB
    po1988 wrote: »
    think this paper was a lot easier then past exam papers, especially section 2 as it didnt have the PPR or 1985 pool shares

I agree and if I do fail then its down to my own silly mistakes of often thinking to much about the question!!!!!
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i took the personal pension scheme .... figure and didnt multiplied by 12 ... shoo silly and 2ndly i missed 2 time apportioned the car benefit ... do u lots fink it enough 2 fail me in section 1

and in section 2 apart from the doubt full task of painting it seems as if i got every thing right
  • po1988
    po1988 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    did you extend the band
  • umerali2003
    i did but with the figure of 200 some thing but didnt multiplied that by 12 .. didnt realize dat the personal pension scheme is for one month silly me silly me
  • Ware College
    Ware College Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Car Benefit

Help!

I am confused. Is the benefit £28,995 x 35% then deduct £3,995 then aportion for promotion

or

£25,000 x 35% then aportion?

:confused1:
  • Ware College
    Ware College Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Fuel Benefit

Also,

was there any fuel benefit?
  • anastasia
    anastasia Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Help!

I am confused. Is the benefit £28,995 x 35% then deduct £3,995 then aportion for promotion

or

£25,000 x 35% then aportion?

:confused1:

I did 25000 x 35 % x 3/12.
  • anastasia
    anastasia Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Also,

was there any fuel benefit?

No, he paid all expenses himself.
  • mi|kshake
    mi|kshake Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    think this paper was a lot easier then past exam papers, especially section 2 as it didnt have the PPR or 1985 pool shares

yeah same here. Especially as the trickiest section for me is usually section 1 with the benefits and there didn't seem to be a lot of info in section 1. I ususally find I'm sitting there trying to figure out what's a benefit and what's not and then trying to remember formulas.

And I thought I had finally cracked the s104 pool after doing some of the more complicated ones in past papers and it never came up, though I suppose that's a good thing. Working my way back through all the papers I did wonder if it was going to come up, as it didn't seem common in the more recent papers. Didn't want to chance it though!
    Help!

That's the way I did it! But benefits ain't my strong point!

mi|kshake~
  • po1988
    hi i think you need to take the capital payment of the list price of the cars (stated ion my textbook by Osbourne) as he paid the remainder after 25000

You take 25000 * 35%(limited) and time apportion it, thats what i think
  • Moseley_21
    Moseley_21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I think i got around the same answers as you Ash and fiorellino i put exactly that hopefully we are both not wrong???
  • Moseley_21
    Moseley_21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I definitely took the gain off the list price price?? does everyone think this was correct??
  • moneymotivated
    moneymotivated Registered Posts: 35 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi all, personally I thought the paper was very 'nice' compared to what it could of been. No losses etc made it quite straight forward.

The employment split was 9months and 3months, so you had to be careful to time apportion the B.I.K to 3/12. Also I'm sure many people would of calculated the car benefit on 39% instead of restricting it to 35%. Also some confusion might of come from the list price of £28,000?? (or something similar) but Mahmood was only allowed a maximum of £25,000 to spend and put up the difference himself. The rule for this is if I can remember rightly was any capital put up by the employee can be deducted from the list price. So the figure you should of taken was £25,000. (can anyone confirm this?!!)

In terms of deducting the pension from the gross pay this should of been fine as you had the time apportioned figure for when he was a managing director etc. (£55,000 gross pay for year / 12 x 3 = £13,750) Then you should of done £13,750 x 6% pension. (same obviously for when he was on lower pay for 9 months and the pension contribution was 4%).

The rental income was also very straight forward with only the 10% Wear And Tear allowance allowed on flat A. I hope everyone noticed that flat B was only rented for 8 months of the year!

Section 2 I thought was gonna be a lot harder. The shares were all straight forward and the painting was fine, as long as you could remember to include the restoration costs and indexation.

Then if I remember rightly there was a personal pension plan so this should of been added (net x 22/78 to get gross) and then added to the band £34,600 to get the new band. I think after doing the income tax calculation you had about £16k of the band to carry forward to the CGT calculation.

As for the e-mail regarding the house and chattels <6k I played it safe. Obviously you only needed to mention a quick sentance saying the house was her principal private residence so that it is exempt from CGT.

As for the chattels I mentioned that providing they didnt cost >6k each there will be no CG as chattels bought and sold < 6k are exempt. I then went on to say that if anyone of them were bought for >6k you will have to do DEEMED proceed of £6k regardless of how much they cost less the proceeds which will give you a loss to off set against any other CG incurred.

I was 95% sure the interest question was going to come up so made sure I knew that and also was certain they wouldnt include the form to fill in, as they have completely changed the layout and AAT textbook didnt have the new forms to practice with.

To be fair there were only 3 real chapters to learn for this exam (ch 5 is a summary of ch 1-4) so I felt it was the easiest paper by far I have had to revise for.

In fact I was quite disapointed it was so easy in a way! As i worked my nuts off for a week learning every possible thing that could of come up (i.e all the weird and wonderful exempt benefits such as removal costs upto 8k, nursery expenses upto £55 a week etc).

Did anyone else not think it was a nice paper? Especially compared to June's one where there was a lot more included. Or have I just sounded like an arrogant idiot! (apologies in advance if I have).

Anyways if that was also people's last exam I wish you all the best for the future, I will be going on to ACA in March to start the process all again!

Regards

MM
  • moneymotivated
    there was no apportion on the car benefit thats 4 sure it said during the year and it didnt said any where that the car was unavailabe in certain months so we will take the whole benefit ................ all the apportionments were in employment income

YES THERE WAS!!

It clearly said....when he became marketing director he was provided with a company car.

READ THE DAMN QUESTION PROPERLY IN FUTURE!!
  • moneymotivated
    In my opinion the painting was the hardest thing on the paper.

How though? The clue was in the indexation dates given!

At college our teacher gave us this table to remember (re renovations etc)

Proceeds
    LESS: Incidental cost of disposal
    = Net proceeds
    LESS: Original Cost
    LESS: Incidental costs of acquisition (1)
    LESS: Incidental costs of acquisition (2)
    = Unindexed gain
    LESS: Indexation allowance on original cost
    LESS: Indecation allowance on renovation (1)
    LESS: Indexation allowance on renovatio (2)
    = Gain before taper relief

Such an easy table to remember and makes everything so much easier.
  • moneymotivated
    NBB wrote: »
    I think it should have been
    £6000 - 150 = 5850
    10% x 5850 = 585 wear and tear
    giving £5265 as the total assessable income for flat a???

No that is definitely wrong!

Did you not do the sample papers in the AAT Osbourne books? So many of these came up.

Wear and Teal allowance formula is - (rental income - WR - CT) X 10%

NOT

NET income - (WR - CT) X 10%
  • moneymotivated
    i did but with the figure of 200 some thing but didnt multiplied that by 12 .. didnt realize dat the personal pension scheme is for one month silly me silly me

Mate from what I can read your problem is you haven't revised enough and have not read the material given properly. Just chill in the exams man, you got sooooo much time so just relax and read over the question 2 or 3 times. Also read over the data at least 3 times.
  • brett316
    brett316 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Ive started to convice myself that I forgot to take off annual exemption on the CGT, I dont know why I would do this :confused1:, quite a big mistake! My fault for not checking my work ...... Everything else seemed pretty OK though do im hoping this shouldn't give them a reason to fail me, what do you reckon? x
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    You Did what i did, but no it was a capital contribution so you were ment to deduct that before the 35%. Shame, i remember all this stuff after and before but just stress in the exams!!!
  • moneymotivated
    brett316 wrote: »
    Ive started to convice myself that I forgot to take off annual exemption on the CGT, I dont know why I would do this :confused1:, quite a big mistake! My fault for not checking my work ...... Everything else seemed pretty OK though do im hoping this shouldn't give them a reason to fail me, what do you reckon? x

I'm sure this will only be considered as a minor error mate, don't worry. The pass mark is roughly 70% but don't forget marks are available for workings even if the answers are wrong. Also even if you put the wrong figures down, as long as the layout is right you should be fine.
  • brett316
    brett316 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm sure this will only be considered as a minor error mate, don't worry. The pass mark is roughly 70% but don't forget marks are available for workings even if the answers are wrong. Also even if you put the wrong figures down, as long as the layout is right you should be fine.

Yeah thats what I'm hoping, but I do agree with you I thought the paper was actually quite nice, painting was maybe the hardest part.
  • moneymotivated
    I also probably thought it was easier as I only had to study for this exam only as it was me last one whereas in previous sittings I have had to prepare for at least 2.
  • po1988
    stop be littling people, People cope with exams in different ways, just cause he/she forgot to do the personal pension * 12, doesnt mean he/she didnt revise for the exam enough.

Jesus you sound like an idiot
  • carlap
    carlap Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi does anyone have these answers??

Net income Tax payable - £6876.04
    CGT payable - £7573

For some reason I cant seem to find anyone who has the same answer for section1

Please help!:confused1:
  • moneymotivated
    po1988 wrote: »
    stop be littling people, People cope with exams in different ways, just cause he/she forgot to do the personal pension * 12, doesnt mean he/she didnt revise for the exam enough.

Jesus you sound like an idiot

How did you know I was Jesus? :001_tt2:

I was trying to give him a bit of advice me old china, I wasn't belittling no-one. I am by no means perfect but I also say it how it is, even if it may not be what people want to hear.

And if you read the forum properly you 'idiot' you will see that the person in question comments on a few things he/she did not do. I was only trying to help, maybe the person in question can tell us if he/she revised enough and read the questions properly? If by me trying to give a bit of advice means I am an 'idiot' then so be it.
  • umerali2003
    thx 4 your advice ... but i am quite sure there wont be a next time ......
  • NBB
    No that is definitely wrong!

Did you not do the sample papers in the AAT Osbourne books? So many of these came up.

Wear and Teal allowance formula is - (rental income - WR - CT) X 10%

NOT

NET income - (WR - CT) X 10%

Excuse me but

1. I do not like you questioning my revision, as that has nothing to do with you!!!!
    2. I was simply stating what I put and never asked if this was correct or not as I'm sure I will find this out when I get my results.
  • coco78
    coco78 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    For money motivated

I just like to write, that I do not like money motivated comments in this forum.

If you so smart why didn't you do all your exam in one go like other smart people.
Privacy Policy