I feel ill - horrendous mistake

Options
sarahwilson
sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
I've set up a new supplier in our banking to pay by bacs, they've just chased me to ask where the money is and when I've looked the account detaisl I have in Sage are right but are totally wrong in the bank, so I don't know where the moneys gone:crying::crying:

I'm going to throw myself in the canal at lunchtime:crying:
ยซ1

Comments

• speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Sarah

Don't panic too much! I have put the wrong details into the Natwest BACs system before and on both occasssions the money bounced back within a few days.

I suggest you contact the bank and BACs and explain what has happened and then keep an eye out and hopefully the money should bounce back into your account in a few days.

Chin up old girl :001_smile:

Speegs

PS Canals are not always ever deep so a suicide attempt in one probably wouldn't work anyway. :001_unsure:
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Thank goodness you are back Sarah!

I was about to give the same advice as Speegs, having done something similar in the past. As she says, the lilkehood is that you have sent it to an account that does not exist so it will be returned automatically.

Gives you an awful sick feeling though doesn't it? Not worth throwing yourself in the canal for, if not deep enough it would be filthy water and you'd have a lingering death !!!!
  • sarahwilson
    Options
    I tried to throw myself in the canal and got snagged up in a trolley!!:lol:

The sort code exists but I cannot find a supplier account detail for it, so I am hoping I've mixed 2 together and it will bounce back as you say. What a stupid thing to do:crying: God help me if it doesn't bounce back:crying:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

The sort code exists but I cannot find a supplier account detail for it, so I am hoping I've mixed 2 together and it will bounce back as you say. What a stupid thing to do:crying: God help me if it doesn't bounce back:crying:

Thanks, Sarah, I'll try to spend it wisely:lol::lol:

Seriously though, we all make mistakes, we wouldn't be human if we didn't.
    Hope every thing sorts out favourably.
  • Jan
    Options
    When did you make the payment? It can take up to a week to come back and the chances of you quoting an 8 figure account no. and it existing are fairly remote, panic not.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    As everyone else has said, I wouldn't worry too much since it's likely the money will be returned eventually. Did you transpose some numbers - easily done - or was it completely wrong (not so good, sorry!)?

I've seen this done wrong by others for payroll and am paranoid of this ever happening to me so always triple check an account number when setting it up into the bank's BACS system!
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Think I beat you Sarah.
    Last summer I had to pay a supplier. His account was in RMB and the money was coming out of our $ account.
    I X the RMB exchange rate instead of / it and ended up paying the supplier in China $105,000 instead of about $2000.
    I wasnt flavour of the month...
    Dont panic, ring your bank, our company uses Barclays and I find them REALLY helpful.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I X the RMB exchange rate instead of / it and ended up paying the supplier in China $105,000 instead of about $2000.
    I wasnt flavour of the month...

Yup, that is a pretty good one I must admit but wasn't the payment verified at senior level before being authorised? We have a deal awaiting payment for 450,000 RMB's to be paid into our sterling account and would love them to pay ยฃ2.25m instead of the ยฃ90k it's actually worth!
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

Oooh!! Sarah smells of canal water. Yuck!! :laugh:
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    My boss was on holiday so gave me the OK over the phone to go ahead and authorise it...
    I feel sooooo sick the next day when it left our account and one of our reps told me... I didnt actually get told off though!!
  • sarahwilson
    Options
    speegs wrote: ยป
    Oooh!! Sarah smells of canal water. Yuck!! :laugh:

:lol:Some would say its a pleasant change:lol:

Its an existent sort code but an as yet unidentified account number, neither bears any relation to the actual suppliers account numbers so hopefully I've invented an account number!!

Its 3.5k so I'm not going to be popular if it ends up with someone unwilling to give it back, but hopefully its ended up in a black hole and will come back or the supplier who has it will phone and ask me why. Fortunately I reference all our BAC's with our company name so they know where its from.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I have paid employees the person' below in the list's wages before, also had a father & son working who had the exact same name and paidthem each other's wages and accidentally stapled 2 supplier's cheques & remiitances together and posted them in the same envelope (competitors as well).

Hasten to add over the space of about 10 years not all together.

Each time it teaches you of something else you should not do again.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Now that you've done it once I bet you won't ever do it again!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    now thats funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for laughing !!
  • Gem7321
    Options
    now thats funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not really :confused1:
  • mark130273
    Options
    why not ?
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Because it's obviously really upset Sarah and I think you should be more sensitive
  • mark130273
    Options
    sorry dont do sensitive..............................

my little ones ill. but doesnt matter .she still got to go and put a show on in a play....
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We'd noticed.
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Iv had the mad dash to the phone twice with LLoydslink (overseas payments) in the past - once a supplier gave new bank details to my line manager, who forgot to tell me and then authorised the payment.....and once where I entered the wrong numbers and got a nagging feleing just after authorisation to double check it all over:blushing:

The fun with overseas payments is it can bounce around for a month before return, as one of our customers found out after ignoring 15 notifications of the change in bank details.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    sorry dont do sensitive....................

... or intelligence either, apparently.
  • mark130273
    Options
    ohhhhhhhhhh handbag hey there blobby........why you jellous that ive got "SOME" humour !!
  • Jan
    Options
    Robert

Sharp in take, 1..2..3..etc and exhale.

Not worth rising to!
  • mark130273
    Options
    so jan ? your siding with that blobby then ! hahahaha
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If there's going to be fisticuffs my money's on Robert.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Right Grabs a big handfull of snow and throws it at the lot of ya haha.

Now now children play nice or the big bad brother watching (AAT Team) will come and ground ya hehe
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Right Grabs a big handfull of snow and throws it at the lot of ya haha.

Now now children play nice or the big bad brother watching (AAT Team) will come and ground ya hehe

You tell them:001_tt2:

Goodmorning................honey monster.and how are you copping with the weather.

Are you waitning for exam results this month?
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Looks like a quick bit of "Alpha male-ism". Do they now go around and spray everywhere, just like tomcats?
  • mark130273
    Options
    we he started it ...... lol
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Mark, engaging in a battle of wits with you would be like me having a fight with a twelve year old chav. Tempting though it might be, it just wouldn't make me feel quite right picking on the weak and non-able.
Privacy Policy