Options
2»

Comments

• messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Esme wrote: »
    Small world!

I think I'm going to stick where I am until I complete AAT next June (if all goes to plan) even though I'm on what I consider to be a terrible salary at the moment I know my job is pretty safe and my manager is helpful with my studies.

I do look at the job paper each week to see what is around however!
    I wonder if your salary is worse than mine? Ive seen a few people come close but no one has had it quite worse yet
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don Juan wrote: »
    AAT = 1st year of a BA / BSc. You still have to do years 2 & 3.

CIMA = MSc. As far as I am aware, the other CCAB qualifications have not been accredited with that status.

Not quite what I meant, obviously doing AAT doesn't exempt you from doing the degree as they are different things.

I was going back to the topic of the thread really, and comparing the two from the employers point of view. ie when myself (AAT) and colleague (Degree) worked together, I was considered the more qualified by the main accountant. I considered them on a fairly equal standing though, as did my colleague :D
    Bookworm55 wrote: »
    It is not. There is a certain amount of crossover, especially when doing a degree in accounting, but as one is professional and one is academic they are fundamentally different things.

There are lies, there are damned lies and then there are statistics. What I believe you are referring to is this article from the CIMA website. What it actually says is that the CIMA professional qualification is equal to a Masters Degree for the purposes of assessing immigration. Perhaps they are comparable in difficulty, but we should be careful what we mean when we say two such different things are equal.

EDIT: Sorry guys, that all sounded really harsh when I read it back. All I meant is that we shouldn't conflate professional and academic qualifications, and I will admit there are few people for whom it would be appropriate to pursue both. But I am one of them, so I don't see it as being as strange as some do.

I agree. Its like saying which is better, cheese or anti lock breaks...

I still believe from an employers point of view they are considered on a par. Would you disagree? I'm not talking from an accreditation of whatever point of view, I've absolutely no desire to get a masters. Thinking of it from a where you stand in the organisation point of view.
Privacy Policy